Car dealer Sticker markup ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i totally agree!
I rather have the dealer come right out and say "Listen, we dont have much inventory, and the few cars we do have have to carry the dealership. So I am upcharging 5k on your vehicles price."

I also hat the fake stuff:
pinstripe for 1000 dollars.
anti rust spray for 10o0 dollars.
Scotchguard for 500 dollars
1000 "doc fee" etc etc
My Lexus dealer, Putnam Lexus in Redwood City, told me just that: inventory will trickle in and deals will be tight. AFAIK, they are not exceeding MSRP, but that was awhile ago.

they are doing it all on purpose, all corporations

they are laying off people and closing factories; they blame covid on everything, just like it is the first day of C19 back in March 2020

it is the new normal

One of the local ford dealers had a 20000 market adjustment on a Raptor (brought it to like 102) and 5000 on "regular" F150s. Strangely the ones they had messed with by putting level kits and cheap wheels just had the package for like 5995...

Anyway, glad i don't need one...

I bought a new Dodge Charger R/T about 6 months ago and got $1500 off msrp. I traded in a 2019 F150 that I paid $37k for back in 2019 and put 80k miles on it and they gave me $35k on trade.

Just traded in my wife's 2020 Suburban RST for a new Honda Odyssey and paid msrp for that one. We had to order it and it took bout 2 months to come in. They have the Suburban listed on the lot for more than I paid for it back in 2020.

Toyota seems to be the worst offender around here. Every dealer is doing a 3-5k markup on every vehicle across the board. And they won't take it off, cause they know if you don't buy it the next guy that walks in will.

Obligatory:
http://www.stopbuyingcars.com/

The solution is to only buy a new car unless you absolutely have to, at least until the dealer lots fill back up with inventory. If you need a new engine or transmission, you don't need a new car, you need a new engine or transmission, etc.
Just haggle lake always. if they don't want to play then walk. Many are trying to keep doors open with little to no inventory and negative cash flow. I don't feel bad for dealers, but I do feel anxious about the economy getting worse and businesses shuttering.

A RAM and Jeep dealer near me advertises no ADMU and some discounts. I don't want a Ram or a Jeep.

There are plenty of classic cars out there for reasonable money if you really need a ride.

Not sure about dealers but you’re right about builders. The boom is over. Cars are seen as somewhat more necessary than a kitchen remodel but I bet you’re right and will soon follow.
It's happening with cars as well. I just brokered a deal for a friend for a used Honda CRV and got a much better price for her than she was able to get on her own. My son bought a 2022 Hyundai a few weeks ago and did the get up and walk out stunt. They chased him in the parking lot and ended up dropping the price quite a bit. My bet is in a few short months it will be a buyers market again, for savvy buyers who know how to play the game.

... My bet is in a few short months it will be a buyers market again, for savvy buyers who know how to play the game.
I bet there will be a couple months of the old trade down from truck to Ecobox. with gas prices as they are.

I sadly had to do that when I got a job with a distant commute in the mid 2000's when gas was topping 4 bucks a gallon summer of 2008. Didnt have a crystal ball that was a short lived spike but up again a few years later.

I loved my last real Chevy short box std cab 4WD w/t 5 speed with a bench seat and "hose-it-out" rubber floor.
I thinkl I [id about $17,900 for that brandy nude.

Ended up in a stick Japanese Yaris 3 door which was sort of fun, cheap enough but a fall apart car -"Toyota" or not.

Fixed:
it is only going to get less good for them.

It's not going to bet bad for home builders or car dealers until at least next year.
LOL I'm sticking with worse, a lot worse. Having said that, a better way than raising interest rates to tame inflation would be to become energy independent again. That will tame inflation faster, lower food costs, and the cost of every single good that travels on a ship, train, plane, and truck........... One can only hope.

I'm betting we're getting to a point where you won't even be able to give a DIESEL vehicle away, given where Diesel fuels prices are presently and where they are soon headed.

LOL I'm sticking with worse, a lot worse. Having said that, a better way than raising interest rates to tame inflation would be to become energy independent again. That will tame inflation faster, lower food costs, and the cost of every single good that travels on a ship, train, plane, and truck........... One can only hope.
hoping you're right so that Americans are prompted to make better selections at the ballot box in the mid terms than they did in the 2020 elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back