Car dealer Sticker markup ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The inventory deficit is going to stick around for a while. For every person who takes delivery, I reckon there’s another 2-3 getting in line for the same thing. Any excess new inventory is being brought right up. I doubt any OEM will build extra cars just to sit around.

Sure we can stop buying cars but the people who lease will keep this market high. They’re getting new cars every 2-3 years. They take the new allocation and the dealers just going to sell the lease turn-in to some sucker who doesn’t have the ability to wait.

Both my good car and my beater have manual transmissions. Unfortunately I’m beginning to have some fairly painful arthritis in my left knee. I’ve been giving some thought to trading one of them for something with an automatic but this is the worst possible time to do it. I’m just hoping I can hold out until the lots fill back up.

Just an FYI. Honda has always been a no haggle brand. Since the 90,s Hondas have always sold for MSRP. Also they do not sell as fleet either bc it hurts the resale value. That’s why you don’t see Honda rental cars.

People need to just stop buying vehicles for a while and drive what they have. The vehicle shortage and the associated high prices are doubly compounded by people buying. It's telling the sellers we don't care how high the prices are, we're still going to buy anyway. What do you think that's telling the dealers? The prices aren't going to come down until vehicles quit selling...I swear the buying public has more money than they have cents...and yes, that spelling was on purpose...

People need to just stop buying vehicles for a while and drive what they have. The vehicle shortage and the associated high prices are doubly compounded by people buying. It's telling the sellers we don't care how high the prices are, we're still going to buy anyway. What do you think that's telling the dealers?

It's telling the dealers that the consumers are mostly horribly stupid.

I don’t see how prices can come down. Sure, dealers charge what they can get away with. But it costs a certain amount to make a car, and it’s not getting cheaper. And whatever a dealership has to make on a car sale in order to keep the lights on is likewise not going to get cheaper.

Just an FYI. Honda has always been a no haggle brand. Since the 90,s Hondas have always sold for MSRP. Also they do not sell as fleet either bc it hurts the resale value. That’s why you don’t see Honda rental cars.

Even in the 90's, there were many places that one could buy a Honda below sticker.
I know, I bought a couple of them.
As far as recently, the Pilot in my signature, I bought $6656. under MSRP.
The Accord in my signature, I bought over 5K under MSRP.
You are correct that Honda does not do fleet sales. That is rarely why you see them in rental fleets.
If you see them, they came from a dealer.

A recession hasn't been tried yet. And it sure looks like that's where it is going at this point.

This. Interest rates going up, coupled with a lack of disposable income will do the job, even if a recession is somehow avoided.
The chance of that happening is somewhere between slim and none.

I don’t see how prices can come down. Sure, dealers charge what they can get away with. But it costs a certain amount to make a car, and it’s not getting cheaper. And whatever a dealership has to make on a car sale in order to keep the lights on is likewise not going to get cheaper.
Pretty much all vehicles are luxury vehicles with way too many options.

I'm not seeing it yet. My son totaled his 2012 Civic. Used prices for a 7-10 year old econobox with over 100K miles are $15-$20K. Every Hyundai dealer I've talked to is marking up their new Elantras & Accents by $3200, and they can't even deliver the 2022 models because of the seat belt pre-tensioner recall. Pretty much anything available that's not totally clapped out is going to lose 50% or more of what you paid for it in 12-24 months

Pretty much all vehicles are luxury vehicles with way too many options.
True, but I have to wonder just how much the "basics" now cost. Electric motors and such for power locks and windows, probably cost more to make manual versions than it is to just stock parts for the electric parts. RKE? gotta be dirt cheap for the remotes now, regardless of what it costs your or I to buy fobs for. Electronics is cheap to buy in bulk.

Even in the 90's, there were many places that one could buy a Honda below sticker.
I know, I bought a couple of them.
As far as recently, the Pilot in my signature, I bought $6656. under MSRP.
The Accord in my signature, I bought over 5K under MSRP.
You are correct that Honda does not do fleet sales. That is rarely why you see them in rental fleets.
If you see them, they came from a dealer.
Seeing you are in Ohio, that may be why you were able to get them lower being the plant is in Marysville Ohio. Being in the south, I have worked at Honda as a tech, and know a whole lot of people who have bought Hondas and the only discount are factory rebates, college graduate, or first responder which is only $500.00 of of MSRP. If you try and deal, they tell you the deal is already in the MSRP, if you don’t buy it, someone will come in here and buy it. I bought several Hondas and paid what that MSRP was. As a Honda employee the max is 20% off MSRP.

Both my good car and my beater have manual transmissions. Unfortunately I’m beginning to have some fairly painful arthritis in my left knee. I’ve been giving some thought to trading one of them for something with an automatic but this is the worst possible time to do it. I’m just hoping I can hold out until the lots fill back up.
That is why we sold the wife's 2002 F250 with a manual and bought a 2018 with an auto trans. Getting old is brutal. Hold out as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back