How much for a new Tacoma?

AZ is no good. The dictatorship of CA requires you to buy cars only from CA stealerships if you want to register them.
CA is a big place. Assuming the Costco purchasing service is still operational, I’d assume a reasonable deal could be shipped across the state…

There is only 3 available right now and out of my price range. I was really hoping for the 4 cyl and a manual but they apparently don't offer a manual any more?
Toyota confirmed a manual transmission on the new Tacoma. I think you might have to special order. Toyota does allocations backwards. Instead of you coming in and ordering the vehicle you want the dealership is "handed" a set of allocations. Lexus However allows you to order what you want.

AZ is no good. The dictatorship of CA requires you to buy cars only from CA stealerships if you want to register them.
Since when? There are 6 states that follow California's emissions laws. You should be able to order from any of those

Kinda thinking of getting out of my jeep and into a little truck. The jeep is great for playing but not very useful in town. Can't carry anything in it etc.

Plus I don't think we need two 4 wheel drive SUVs. I do need a 4x4 regardless.

Looking on Toyota's site I "built" my Tacoma and it came to $31k. But the local dealer wants $44k for it. They have a $7500 markup above window sticker and they tack on all kinds of stuff I don't want like window etching and other wallet flushes and they won't drop the price .

Is this normal now? No haggling?
31k for a new Tacoma? 4WD? 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder? I think a base V6 4WD is around 35 on their site.

If you’re looking at the manual, I would drive one to check it out. My friend has a 2019 and it is definitely different to drive and certainly isn’t like a Jeep.

Since when? There are 6 states that follow California's emissions laws. You should be able to order from any of those
How would the shipping work? Honest question. Say you buy from Colorado (which has similarly crazy dealer mark-up because of population growth) - what’s it going to cost you to ship it? $1,000? $1,500?

How about CT? Or VT?

How would the shipping work? Honest question. Say you buy from Colorado (which has similarly crazy dealer mark-up because of population growth) - what’s it going to cost you to ship it? $1,000? $1,500?

How about CT? Or VT?
Depends on the shipper. Some dealerships will negotiate and eat half of the costs. Tacomas have always had a cult following and high price. Schomp Toyota in Colorado has one 2022 Tacoma quad cab trd spec with a manual with 8,600 miles for $43,961. Have you considered a jeep gladiator? Those are the only other option with a manual transmission.

Going by skimming info provided by others in the discussion. Vehicle must be bought in CA or else have over 7500 miles on the odometer to be registered in the state from what I read, or maybe misread.

Going by skimming info provided by others in the discussion. Vehicle must be bought in CA or else have over 7500 miles on the odometer to be registered in the state from what I read, or maybe misread.
You’ll need to prove that it is certified to meet
California’s smog laws
in order for it to be registered in the state.

The states that adopted California's smog standards are: Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year and later), New York, Nevada, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Vermont, and Washington (2009 model year and later),

The way I read it, that’s for vehicles that meet Federal emissions. So, a vehicle that meets California emissions (now required in several states, like CO) can be brought in and registered when new.

Other states (like Virginia) have the dealer markup printed on the window sticker. Was shocked to see that at my local dealer when I got a state inspection a few months ago.

But I’ve shipped a few cars. It ain’t cheap. So, the hassle of buying a new car out of state, then paying the shipping, and waiting for it to show up, might not be offset by any cost savings, because the Toyota mark-up is going on elsewhere, not just in CA.

By the way, the 7500 mile minimum applies to motorcycles too. Translates into waiting at least 2 years before buying out of state.

Toyota confirmed a manual transmission on the new Tacoma.
It's not available on the lower-end models, like "SR" and "SR5". You have to go with the "TRD Off-Road" trim at least to have it available.

By the way, the 7500 mile minimum applies to motorcycles too. Translates into waiting at least 2 years before buying out of state.
Off topic but when I selling my 2022 Yamaha Xmax 300, a guy from California was interested and asked me to take a pic of the factory placard were it showed it was CARB complaint. I ended selling it locally instead.

CA is a big place. Assuming the Costco purchasing service is still operational, I’d assume a reasonable deal could be shipped across the state…
If the vehicle hits the pavement in California-the sales tax MUST BE PAID. The car can be shipped with a CERTIFIED BILL OF LADING to avoid sales tax. The issues being is that exotic car dealers (Porsche, etc.) are familiar with the steps and most Ford, Chevrolet, etc.,) are not.

If the vehicle hits the pavement in California-the sales tax MUST BE PAID. The car can be shipped with a CERTIFIED BILL OF LADING to avoid sales tax. The issues being is that exotic car dealers (Porsche, etc.) are familiar with the steps and most Ford, Chevrolet, etc.,) are not.
Sorry, what does that have to do with the rip-off pricing that local dealers are charging?

Are you saying that someone in CA can buy from oos if the dealer knows what they’re doing?

I think all states have the sales tax requirement. If I buy in PA, I don’t pay PA sales tax, I pay NJ sales tax as part of my registration. If I buy in DE, I don’t get out of sales tax (DE has none), I have to deal with the same thing. Similarly, if I bought in NY or AL or someplace with higher sales tax than NJ, I don’t need to pay that state the delta they think they’re owed. I didn’t know this was a difficult thing.

But point was, assuming Costco still has the buying service, notionally they’re not going to allow a dealer to up charge $7500.

That seems to be a part of the Toyota experience.
That's why everytime I tried to buy a Toyota, I generally came home with a Honda.
I'd recommend doing a nationwide search on Cars.com and other related sites, see what you can purchase the same truck for elsewhere, utilize e-mail, and contemplate a road trip.
The last car we purchased, a 3 hour drive each way saved us $4200.
Funny that you mention this.
We too have found Toyota shopping difficult, so when we've looked at Toyotas we've ended up buying Hondas.
I'm not about to beat my head against a wall at a dealer trying to get a Prius or Camry hybrid down to a reasonable price when I can simply buy an Accord hybrid instead and get reasonable upfront pricing via email.

I think you might have to special order. Toyota does allocations backwards. Instead of you coming in and ordering the vehicle you want the dealership is "handed" a set of allocations.
My wife is looking to buy a new Toyota and the dealer is "looking" for what she wants (if another dealer has one "allocated" to them, our dealer can snag it and have it re-routed to them). At this point, custom ordering isn't even possible. Her "wants" aren't outrageous either, in fact, they seem to be quite popular. We can find matching models going to other dealers but they're all "Sale pending". At least that means Toyota is building ones that match what she wants. This method will surely change once they get production up to full speed, I presume.

Back