Canadian Smoke

So, what does this smoke do for our vehicles driven in it? I rode my motorcycle through the Berkshires yesterday and it was eery. Looked like fog much of the time. Could smell smoke most of the day. I felt fine except for a scratchy throat at the end of the day, but probably not the best for my health. I wonder if I should clean the air filter on the bike?
I would clean the bikes cabin filter first.. 😂😂 sorry ..
I doubt the engine filter is bad unless it was old anyway???

So, what does this smoke do for our vehicles driven in it? I rode my motorcycle through the Berkshires yesterday and it was eery. Looked like fog much of the time. Could smell smoke most of the day. I felt fine except for a scratchy throat at the end of the day, but probably not the best for my health. I wonder if I should clean the air filter on the bike?
Probably nothing. This isn’t hard oxides like sand. It’s extremely fine ash.

Diesels that use EGR have reinvested fine soot for decades and burnt it back up. This was design practice in the early 80s in Mercedes diesels to help reduce NOx. Gas engines do the same and do also produce particulates.

I suspect it’s all soft fine particles and even if they bypass the filter, they’ll be reconsumed. It’s not something to make a habit of, but this is a peculiar situation and weather pattern.

Is there really any doubt in your mind?
This probably isn't much different from them not flying through volcanic ash, which has also happened in the not too distant past.
Except that volcanic ash, Saharan dust, etc are hard fine oxide particulates and bits of rock. Not to mention sulfur gasses from volcanoes.

Now don’t get me wrong, carbon soot particulates from high sulfur fuels (be so/dibenzothiophenes) do tend to create soot and the soot particle impingement on blades and vanes is an issue when duration and temperature and whatnot are considered. This should be ultra fine carbon particles and some other gasses which are less savory to breathe.

Not sure this should go to the Aviation forum, but this seems to be as good a place as any. They've also stopped all flights into Philadelphia.

It's gotten much worse in DC in the past couple of hours. My daughter and her child are headed here for an unscheduled visit in an effort to escape. She just returned from a trip to Dallas last night and said that the air was so bad in DC that she didn't take her mask off after she got off of the plane. She said that all outdoor events there are being cancelled.

I just went outside and it is really decent. A windy day but that nasty smell is gone...the haze is barely noticeable.
I guess someone else is getting it now ..
My wife said the same. Glad it’s clearing out. Still hoping for some rain before Monday/Tuesday.

I was evacuated in 2003 from a rural community when you couldn't see across the street.
The ones that stayed behind looted vacant homes.

Pretty bad here near Bel Air Md. Went out shopping and the smoke got to my wife. Hopefully better later.

Me too. (Rain)
I just got back from Oxford PA. And it is polluted. I guess I got a favorable wind here...
It was worse the further west you go. This am Harrisburg was nearly 500, while Philly was like 285.

It has cleared out a lot.

Pretty bad here near Bel Air Md. Went out shopping and the smoke got to my wife. Hopefully better later.
The smoke cloud was traveling south. Then I think the wind changed and is pushing the smoke north. Seems like you must be at the convergence point.

Dang so it really is getting that bad. Have you checked your home filters, I wonder how they look like now with all the ash in the air.
Dang can’t afford it our filters are 4 for $193 (Aprilaire 413). They were 4 for $122 during the pandemic. We do push them the full 1 year

Current map. The dark bits are obviously the really bad parts.

1686266556975.jpg

Dang can’t afford it our filters are 4 for $193 (Aprilaire 413). They were 4 for $122 during the pandemic. We do push them the full 1 year
Yeah they jacked them up a lot. Those are over 50 now at home depot. The premium ones for my system are nearing 40 but they're worth it. Getting older means getting sensitive and i might get a humidifier for the first time.

Back