Smoke detectors

I replaced our 15 year old smoke detectors 3 months ago. First alert is the brand. These are at least the lead smoke detector is extremely sensitive. Granted I’m glad it works but it goes off with no smoke. Mostly when the oven is used. Yes the oven is clean. Any ideas what could cause this. It’s annoying. And no my wife doesn’t burn the food. Thanks.

The detector is getting triggered by something. Too close to the kitchen?

Is this a dual or single smoke detector?.

I always recommend dual which has photelectric and ionization built in. Photoelectric seems to be a bit more sensitive in my experience which is obviously a good thing but also can be a bad thing too close to area with even the slightest smoke.

You may not see the smoke but it is still able to detect it. Always turn the vent on, maybe open a window or turn the ceiling fan on when cooking.

The detector is getting triggered by something. Too close to the kitchen?
Thanks the one on the right is the hard wired, the one I installed. The one on the left is wired to the house alarm. It is fairly close to the kitchen. The stove is on the other side.
IMG_3755.jpeg

Is this a dual or single smoke detector?.

I always recommend dual which has photelectric and ionization built in. Photoelectric seems to be a bit more sensitive in my experience which is obviously a good thing but also can be a bad thing too close to area with even the slightest smoke.

You may not see the smoke but it is still able to detect it. Always turn the vent on, maybe open a window or turn the ceiling fan on when cooking.
Thanks for the reply. I believe it’s single. We’ll just have to deal with it, lol.

Photo electric is sensitive but ionization is prone to false tripping. I think that is why dual sensor detectors more or less went away. Ceiling fans mess with them also.

Rate of rise heat detectors are the only ones you want near a kitchen.

Photo electric is sensitive but ionization is prone to false tripping. I think that is why dual sensor detectors more or less went away. Ceiling fans mess with them also.

Rate of rise heat detectors are the only ones you want near a kitchen.
https://a.co/d/4zKSVj6 What about these? Here’s a heat of rise https://a.co/d/7sjT7lE so can this one replace the one closest to the kitchen? The one in question is the one on the right. Thanks.
IMG_3755.jpeg

Last edited:
Dual sensing means more likely to alarm on small amounts of smoke, since a detect by either sensor will sound the alarm. That is usually good except near the kitchen.

I have never isntalled the first alert dual sensor ones. The Kidde dual sensor ones from 12 years ago were junk. Make sure any hard wired smoke detectors are comparable with each other. They make converters for them.
Thanks. I ordered a kiddie heat detector for the kitchen. The other smoke alarms are kiddie as well.

I have never isntalled the first alert dual sensor ones. The Kidde dual sensor ones from 12 years ago were junk. Make sure any hard wired smoke detectors are comparable with each other. They make converters for them.
I’m going to replace the one with a heat sensing detector and see how that goes. The location of it is garbage. It’s also in the path of the intake of the furnace. So who knows if dust is making it way across the sensor.

Back