Canadian Smoke

It's really bad in the Buffalo NY area. The sun has been hazed out for 3 days now and it gives you a headache and sinus discomfort to be outside for any length of time. Vehicles all have a brownish-orange dust on them like the old Bethlehem steel plant days. We haven't had rain in like 6 weeks.
I'll 2nd this, very hazy and smoky in Cheektowaga right now.

Reactions: JTK
I remember the air being so thick that the visibility was way down. During the big Ehli Hill fire in Sumner and Bonney Lake the visibility was about 100 feet as we were very close to that blaze.

It’s really dry again this year. Lots of smaller fires everywhere and it could be a repeat.
You must live very close to my home in Buckley. The smoke was awful.

IMG_4290.jpeg

NY/NJ airports have been on and off during the day, flights delayed.
NYC briefly registered as the worst air quality in the world today.
Makes me wonder if this is bad for airplane jet engines. I guess they fly above the smoke eventually but could taxiing, landing, and takeoff could cause trouble? Maybe early maintenance needed?

Guys, you're all focusing on the wrong things. This is BITOG. The real concern is how abrasive forest fire smoke is to engines. Should we be doing weekly oil and filter changes until the smoke clears?
Is it listed in the manual under severe service? I only go by what the manual states. :unsure:

There's some fires 60 miles away from me so the numbers are scary.

Many don't seem to realize the impact and some are even laughing at those wearing masks....

Was very happy to have a PM2.5 filter in my car today which was purchased from Amazon Japan.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...eria-mold-inhibitor-for-my-honda-hr-v.361869/

From one of the youtube videos I've seen, it should have done a great job:

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 3.42.37 PM.png

Last edited:
I was out and about in Queens today doing my route, training a new guy
Ooh it didn't breathe good, and it got worse as the day went on
My lungs could cope, but my eyes burning was getting irritating, I turned us into the shop a little early to do paperwork
PXL_20230607_163006472.jpg

PXL_20230607_173925059.jpg

PXL_20230607_174757438.jpg

PXL_20230607_174910300.jpg
PXL_20230607_180753657.jpg

PXL_20230607_180435911.jpg

The Kosciusko bridge was hard to see, and there's two planes in the sky heading to LaGuardia before the ground stop was ordered
Do you see them?
No, I could only hear them

These aren't filters, this is reality 😯
I'll give the Pixel 7 Pro credit, it was pretty spot on with catching the colors as it was
When I was taking these pictures from mid day today, NYC AQI was 400+, some of the worst air in the world 🌎
Hopefully tomorrow is better

Relevant TikTok

I took a plastic tool box and cut a hole in it and installed a high flow 140 mm computer fan on it. I then put a 4 inch elbow out the back and hooked it up to my basement dryer vent with another elbow and hooked it into a humidifier control module and it is really exhausting the smoke from the house and acts a dehumidifier as it is pulling the damp air from the bottom of the floor.
Of course I set it to where it won't shut off, super low humidity.
Saves my other exhaust fans and actually is doing a decent job for not much money.

If anyone wants a picture I will oblige .. I even have a brick on the top to keep the tool box secured and sealed.. desperate measures 😂

Back