Canadian Smoke

I took a plastic tool box and cut a hole in it and installed a high flow 140 mm computer fan on it. I then put a 4 inch elbow out the back and hooked it up to my basement dryer vent with another elbow and hooked it into a humidifier control module and it is really exhausting the smoke from the house and acts a dehumidifier as it is pulling the damp air from the bottom of the floor.
Of course I set it to where it won't shut off, super low humidity.
Saves my other exhaust fans and actually is doing a decent job for not much money.

If anyone wants a picture I will oblige .. I even have a brick on the top to keep the tool box secured and sealed.. desperate measures 😂

One thing about an exhaust fan, it has to pull the air from somewhere.

We have some haze from this all the way down in southwest Ohio!
Much worse north and east of us, though.
These must be some truly epic fires.

Terrible in RI too. My friend sent me these phots, he lives right outside NYC. First pic is comparison for clear day. No filters on photos.

Attachments

• IMG_3919.jpeg
    IMG_3919.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3918.jpeg
    IMG_3918.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 707852961.jpeg
    707852961.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 20
Horrible here. Aqi was around 180-190 all day and you couldn’t see half a mile. Smells like a campfire despite the distance. It went over 360 tonight.

Could look directly at the sun during the day.

IMG_4346.jpeg

ive been loving the cool dry weather, but we need a good rain to clear the air, and more importantly, a good rain up in Canada to cool things down…

Last edited:
I feel for you guys and can affirm I understand what you are experiencing having gone through it for the last few years in California.

The most cost effective solution Ive found is a cheap box fan, and a MERV 13 or better filter taped to the intake side of the fan. If you can get a 13+ charcoal get it.

As you'd imagine the thicker you get it, the more airflow you will have. We settled on the 4" thick filters.

If you can only get 1" thick units build a V for more airflow with cardboard sealing the top and the floor usually seals the bottom. You can go as far as making a cube, and it will flow more, but the filters will likely be hard to get right now and be at a premium.

We had AQI of 450 in the building and had 50 of these going they dropped it down fast to something we could live with in a short time.

There have been extensive studies of the effectiveness of these setups and they are every bit as effective and often more than much more expensive dedicated units.

IMG_3021.jpeg

Saw this photo of New York last night. Lol

Here in Indiana, it just looks very humid although yesterday it appeared cloudy until around 11 without a cloud in the sky.
88DED47F-1A2A-4E2B-B161-CD67A0FB2A7D.jpg

I feel for you guys and can affirm I understand what you are experiencing having gone through it for the last few years in California.

The most cost effective solution Ive found is a cheap box fan, and a MERV 13 or better filter taped to the intake side of the fan. If you can get a 13+ charcoal get it.

As you'd imagine the thicker you get it, the more airflow you will have. We settled on the 4" thick filters.

If you can only get 1" thick units build a V for more airflow with cardboard sealing the top and the floor usually seals the bottom. You can go as far as making a cube, and it will flow more, but the filters will likely be hard to get right now and be at a premium.

We had AQI of 450 in the building and had 50 of these going they dropped it down fast to something we could live with in a short time.

There have been extensive studies of the effectiveness of these setups and they are every bit as effective and often more than much more expensive dedicated units.

View attachment 160067
We have two air purifiers, and a 16x25x4 MERV 14+ charcoal filter in the central HVAC unit AND I am still going to do this for the furthest rooms.

Ordered two box fans and the 20x20x4 MERV 14+ charcoal filters. The filters cost more than the fans!

Our house is pretty tight, and last year July-Aug through October we only entered - breezeway, garage, hall, then main house. This really helped.

Last edited:
From the top of the Walt Whitman Bridge crossing the Delaware River between NJ and PA (Philadelphia), you can’t even see the skyline or the Ben Franklin Bridge.

IMG_4365.jpeg
IMG_4366.jpeg

So, what does this smoke do for our vehicles driven in it? I rode my motorcycle through the Berkshires yesterday and it was eery. Looked like fog much of the time. Could smell smoke most of the day. I felt fine except for a scratchy throat at the end of the day, but probably not the best for my health. I wonder if I should clean the air filter on the bike?

Back