Canadian Smoke

In the national and state parks that haven't burned, you see piles of dead dry wood piled up in small piles. I asked a ranger about it and he said they burn them in the winter snow season. These forests have not been burned in a long time. Good forest mgmt.
There is 188 million acres of National Forest in the USA. What you probably saw was some Fire Smart activities to lower fire risk around assets such as towns, areas were tourist congregate, and perhaps a corridor along highways.

Canada has almost 1 billion acres of forest. Prescribed burns are common in National parks. Fire breaks are also common around communities. Hot dry conditions are present across much of North America and this is officially the worst year on record for wildfires in Canada. Over 19,000 square miles of forest has already burned and summer has not even started.

Over half the fires are caused by lightening strikes and the rest are caused by human activities. Bears don’t play with matches.

Last edited:
After this is over, may be a good idea to change AF and CAF.

Got a Honda CRV as a loaner car from the dealer yesterday. The HVAC system smelled like a dead animal.

Since I have the car for 20 days, the debate to change it myself didn't last long.

Bought one of those new Fram TrueAir N95 filters from Walmart and the difference is day and night.

Could hardly stand the smell when walking the old filter to the trash so you're definitely right.

Got a Honda CRV as a loaner car from the dealer yesterday. The HVAC system smelled like a dead animal.

Since I have the car for 20 days, the debate to change it myself didn't last long.

Bought one of those new Fram TrueAir N95 filters from Walmart and the difference is day and night.

Could hardly stand the smell when walking the old filter to the trash so you're definitely right.
Did it smell like smoke?

There is 188 million acres of National Forest in the USA. What you probably saw was some Fire Smart activities to lower fire risk around assets such as towns, areas were tourist congregate, and perhaps a corridor along highways.

Canada has almost 1 billion acres of forest. Prescribed burns are common in National parks. Fire breaks are also common around communities. Hot dry conditions are present across much of North America and this is officially the worst year on record for wildfires in Canada. Over 19,000 square miles of forest has already burned and summer has not even started.

Over half the fires are caused by lightening strikes and the rest are caused by human activities. Bears don’t play with matches.
I wasn’t very clear. I should have included that this was in Spearfish canyon in South Dakota. I‘m pretty sure it was a national park. There were occasional piles of dead wood stacked up. There wasn’t much dead wood or downed trees lying around. The air smelled of pine riding a motorcycle through that country.
in the 70’s and 80’s Ca had something like 90 forest crews. When they weren’t fighting fires they would go through the forest and remove the dead wood And thin the undergrowth. They had a lot less bad fires back then. Environmental groups fought this and won. They demanded that the state leave everything natural. Those state units are long gone. They would even take homeless men and train them and they would have a career. That was back when they tried to solve problems in Ca. not create them.

A large amount of ammonium chloride disappeared recently. It produces an orange smoke when burned. Seen pics of the Canadian fires?

Meanwhile, close to the Alaska Highway, the Donnie Creek fire near Fort Saint John is now the largest wildfire in BC’s history.

2A2035FF-7607-4E38-9102-0279283664D3.jpeg

Yea, it was definitely hazy on my drive to work yesterday! :oops:

BwFFKYm.jpg

Not as bad as some of yous guys. Looks a little worse today, I'll know more when I hit the road...
Come on out to southwest PA. You will have thick haze and 0 or ZERO visibility.

I’m seriously wondering if these fires are even contained or am I just retarded? In haven’t watched much news lately either

Attachments

• IMG_5980.jpeg
    IMG_5980.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 11
Come on out to southwest PA. You will have thick haze and 0 or ZERO visibility.

I’m seriously wondering if these fires are even contained or am I just retarded? In haven’t watched much news lately either

Yea it's "smoky" inside the building at work here too cause they let doors open. Can't take a picture of that one, lol.

Back