Can we resurrect a wrist watch thread again?

Wearing my vintage 6240 today

t054MZO.jpg
lucky you, a vintage steel daytona...they go for a kidney nowadays...

I really only have two or three watches.
- a smart watch(none right now)
-a Solar Quartz(I have a Seiko Prospex Solar Diver Watch)
-and a mechanical automatic, right now I got a cheap Seiko "5" Pepsi bezel dive watch, want to upgrade to Rolex Submariner.

I'm wearing this today. When I first made some decent money 25 years ago, I bought that watch and a nice suit. Four overhauls later it's still running like new, the suit is long gone. This is the old Chronomat with the printed dial. The newer ones have applied indices and logo and I find them a bit overdone. The DayGlo chrono hands are a custom job. This is a pretty small watch with a 40mm case and 45mm lug-to-lug distance but it's pretty heavy, mostly due to the rouleaux (bullet) style bracelet. Brushed finish with some polished accents. It's the only watch I ever wear on a bracelet. It has a unidirectional timing bezel with swappable 15 and 45minute rider tabs to make it a countdown timer instead, with a 12-hour chronograph, has a tachymeter, decimal minute scale, date, is only 100m water resistant with a screw-down crown but tolerates 20g, is anti-magnetic, has a double-domed sapphire crystal that is still scratch-free after 25 years of regular use. The movement is only a Valjoux/ETA 7750 4Hz fast beater workhorse with 48 hours of power reserve but it's the COSC-certified chronometer version. The current Chronomat has a much higher quality movement - at a cost.

Last edited:
well, that "only" valjoux 7750 is a real workhorse...don't get hyped up about the newer stuff
It's not about newer but a cam and lever actuated chrono is not as pleasant to use as a very smooth column wheel actuated one. The difference is clunky vs refined chrono actuation. Girard-Perregaux introduced the design in 1966. The Zenith El Primero has been a column wheel chronograph since its release in 1969. Breitling made a comeback from the Quartz Crisis in the '80s. During this time of survival they relied heavily on readily available Valjoux and ETA movements. Their new B01 column wheel movement is a true in-house movement (not slightly modified generic movement branded with own name).

On a tangent, when the Quartz Crisis hit the Swiss watch making industry hard in the '70s, Valjoux decided to destroy the machinery, documents, and blueprints for making the 7750 movement. An employee saved and hid the equipment and documents until there was once more rising interest in and demand for mechanical watches around 1980. Around that time ETA bought Valjoux and was happy to resume production of the 7750. ETA used even used NOS Valjoux parts and you can find 7750 movements that bear both names, Valjoux and ETA. The 7750 has a very interesting history and is still relevant.

I spent 9 days in the hospital back on my b-day with Pneumonia and almost died. I had been looking at buying anoher Rolex before I got sick.....im sure my hospital bill will be enough to give me a heart attack when i see it but WTH im not going to worry.....I just bought a new Rolex Sub.....

I spent 9 days in the hospital back on my b-day with Pneumonia and almost died. I had been looking at buying anoher Rolex before I got sick.....im sure my hospital bill will be enough to give me a heart attack when i see it but WTH im not going to worry.....I just bought a new Rolex Sub.....
I'm very sorry to hear you got so ill. I hope you have already or will soon fully recover. You're a Rolex guy, eh?

Bertucci titanium. I like the simplicity. Simple to change bands to switch it up. Cheap enough to wear in every situation without stress.

Attachments

• 0971CEC1-D14F-493C-A902-043B72A85149.jpeg
    0971CEC1-D14F-493C-A902-043B72A85149.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 16
Like a piece of fine art, 1965 Rolex GMT in unpolished condition, flawless gilt dial, and beautiful faded fuchsia bezel :)

9wkozq4.jpg

A couple of my $300 watches couldn't handle the daily duties, broke, and are now lined up to see the watch repair man. In the mean time I wear my "daily driver" timeless classic, and it just keeps on going. Car work, harmful chemicals, ocean water, or any abuse I throw at this watch just does not seem to phase it. It just keeps chugging along, and I absolutely love that. The reliability and aesthetics of this watch keep me from rushing into fixing my watches that cost 10-15 times as much.
I love it even more after seeing that watch on multiple wrists of the higher-ups in the company I work for.
Meet Casio A168 everyone. "A tried and true style that always remains in fashion." Just like black and white suit.
A168W-1_large.png

I have this one. It works. Have no idea about values, just like watches.
image.jpg

I haven't worn a watch for about 10 years or more. When I was working, I checked time on the lower right hand corner of the work computer. Now I set a timer on my iPhone if I need to leave to be somewhere.

^^^^^ Adding some malarkey to the above post.
The watch above gets more compliments than any watch I have worn. It has a Mother of Pearl iridescent dial. The ION plated case is done in 3 psychedelic color which the camera didn't pick up. $60 about 2 years ago. The NH 35 movement keeps great time. It is a love it or hate watch.

^^^^^ Adding some malarkey to the above post.
The watch above gets more compliments than any watch I have worn. It has a Mother of Pearl iridescent dial. The ION plated case is done in 3 psychedelic color which the camera didn't pick up. $60 about 2 years ago. The NH 35 movement keeps great time. It is a love it or hate watch.
Whatever drives your passion, it’s all good 👍
Unfortunately it seems though, not too many collectors on this site :(

Back