Can we resurrect a wrist watch thread again?

Yup the date is wrong again 😅

PXL_20211102_140624341.jpg

I'm not at all into Breitling, but a number of years ago I got the itch and picked up these two 1960's era twins: Each of them untouched originals from separate private collections. Both unploished, and with incredible glossy original gilt dials and rare beaded bezels.
In over twenty years of collecting, not once did I ever think about "investment", and was guided solely by my passion for these incredible tiny machines. IMO, so called "investors" have ruined the hobby over the last 15 years or so. Prices have gone absolutely stupid, and beginning collectors can't even afford to get started :(

CaUBQHl.jpg

Same watch I wear every day... simple tool watch... not even a date function... no diamonds or precious metals... a holdover from the days before Rolex became a fashion brand... tells the time and I can use the bezel to time my takeout orders... what more could I ask?

I will likely never refinish it... every scratch and ding tells a story... just like me...
IMG-4550 (2).JPG

Same watch I wear every day... simple tool watch... not even a date function... no diamonds or precious metals... a holdover from the days before Rolex became a fashion brand... tells the time and I can use the bezel to time my takeout orders... what more could I ask?

I will likely never refinish it... every scratch and ding tells a story... just like me...
View attachment 76286
I really like that model....

View attachment 76286
Nice no-date Subby

I'm not at all into Breitling, but a number of years ago I got the itch and picked up these two 1960's era twins: Each of them untouched originals from separate private collections. Both unploished, and with incredible glossy original gilt dials and rare beaded bezels.
In over twenty years of collecting, not once did I ever think about "investment", and was guided solely by my passion for these incredible tiny machines. IMO, so called "investors" have ruined the hobby over the last 15 years or so. Prices have gone absolutely stupid, and beginning collectors can't even afford to get started :(

CaUBQHl.jpg
This watch is high on my gas list of breitling. Nice watches for sure.

Nice. I saw it dropped a couple of pennies (literally) on Amazon so I pulled the trigger on this last night and am now waiting for the slate-gray truck to show up with my package.
Congrats- I wear mine once a week. If I wear it every day it is VERY accurate.

Whatever drives your passion, it’s all good 👍
Unfortunately it seems though, not too many collectors on this site :(
I find discussing watches difficult. Its a rather divisive topic since personal taste enters the equation to such a high degree even when talking about tool watches. What one person finds attractive the next person may find hideous. I like tool watches with steel or titanium cases, preferably chronographs. I only own one watch that doesn't have a chronograph complication, and that's the watch I always wear for water sports. Just buy the watches you like and don't listen to what other say. Watch collecting is in my opinion a bad idea. It's a terribly deep rabbit hole to come back out of. Of course, it depends on your definition of "collecting" so there's some leeway there. I'd hate to have any collecting bug that makes me buy any new addition once a week, once a month, once a year. I have a handful of watches that I bought because I like them based on their features, specs, and looks. A beater watch is important for me. There are activities that are too rough on anything costing more than a few hundred.

Today I'm wearing my Navitimer Cosmonaute which has a 24-hour dial, chronograph, date, and slide rule/analog flight computer. It's my only watch not suitable for swimming. I like it because of its history, features, and looks. It looks a bit larger than it is on wrist because I was pretty close with lens when I took the picture. That's the only watch I have on a leather strap.

10:17:12

Last edited:
Well yeah.....oil and watches dont mix well. There are site "rolex forum" after being on their for 11 years and gave lots of money in support was kicked off for trying to sell a watch or something like that.....I never sold a watch and like Winthorp in the movie trading places i have no reason for trying to make 5k ....after that watch web sites left me cold and never joined another one.....they can get very snobbish "if you dont own a Patek" what are you doing here...
Plus i like motor oil ...ever since i was a kid riding my little honda SL100 and Suzuki 185 trail bikes and then later cars...but back in the 70's not much choice....I used Havoline 10w 40 in my Buick Skylark 455 then went to Castor oil in my Datsun Pickup.
I still liked watches back then....im sure i was the only kid in high school that wore a Rolex Sub.....which i paid 325 bucks for back then....I sold my Honda SL 100 for 300 dollars and bought a Rolex no date sub the next day.
Good luck to all you watch and oil collectors!

I've been wearing my Seamaster Ploprof all day. It's my watch for surfing and other watersports. It's a bit of a beast bordering the ridiculous. It is however extremely resilient. I keep it on a NATO strap because it makes loss of the watch head almost impossible. Both spring bars would have to break.

Back