Can thicker oil prevent rocker arm failures in Pentastar 3.6 V6?

As mentioned in other threads, friends (a father and his son) both bought FCA vehicles ('17 JGC for dad and '19 DGC for son) with the 3.6l.
I've been reading a bits about them here and there.
The redesigned rockers are vastly more beefy from the pictures I've seen.
I'm sure no expert. I had no idea the valve train components have been revisited so many times.
I recall a 2014 or 2016 date for these revisions.
All you can do is scheduled maintenance, no? I'd err on the side of clean oil.

JOKE: If correct oil viscosity is directly proportional to timing chain length, these babies should run 70W racing oil! Ha-ha, remember, it's a joke.

Viscosity difference between 0W-20 and 5W-30.
I think I'd run Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 or Red Line 5W-30 without hesitation in the previous iteration of the Pentastar. I don't have enough info on the latest version to decide that it's safe to do so.

Though I'd wager that it's safe to run fuel-efficient API GF6A/ILSAC 5W-30 in my engine, I wonder how much it could help?

I think I'd run Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 or Red Line 5W-30 without hesitation in the previous iteration of the Pentastar. I don't have enough info on the latest version to decide that it's safe to do so.

Though I'd wager that it's safe to run fuel-efficient API GF6A/ILSAC 5W-30 in my engine, I wonder how much it could help?
My friend in TX runs 0W-40. The engine runs quite a bit hotter when slow rock crawling and I want the extra viscosity for that and so I leave 5W-30 in year round. It did fine in the CO winter this year despite some -15°F temperatures.

All oils shear to a degree and 5W-30 will typically shear into a thick 0W-20 so I cannot see how it could possibly hurt--I have not had any issues in 50K miles and after 100K on 0W-40, my friend's Pentastar is still trucking right along.

Last edited:
My friend Javier has a 2019. The dealership he bought it from uses PP 0W20, so that's what we always put in it when he comes over to do an oil change. Along with an oem Mopar oil filter.

Along with an oem Mopar oil filter.
That's a paper filter. The filter I use is made by the same supplier who makes the FRAM Ultra version for FRAM. The only difference is that mine comes with better gaskets. FRAM dropped the ball on gaskets lately. I had it leak on our 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe, so I'm staying away from FRAM cartridge filters for now. Other than that, mine is synthetic media (it's white, not brown) and it's made in South Korea.

That's a paper filter. The filter I use is made by the same supplier who makes the FRAM Ultra version for FRAM. The only difference is that mine comes with better gaskets. FRAM dropped the ball on gaskets lately. I had it leak on our 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe, so I'm staying away from FRAM cartridge filters for now. Other than that, mine is synthetic media (it's white, not brown) and it's made in South Korea.
I've noticed the Asian made filters are made top notch. I'm using one now on my Accord.

I am also using Fram Ultra cartridge filter. The O rings are definitely thicker, but no problems with it leaking. Not sure what are you doing different?

I am also using Fram Ultra cartridge filter. The O rings are definitely thicker, but no problems with it leaking. Not sure what are you doing different?
The XG10855 brown/orange gasket leaked on two consecutive filters installed in a 3.3L Theta II Hyundai engine. I would rev up the engine to 4000 RPM while driving down the street and back home, and oil would come out around the top of the housing. After the second filter, I had enough and replaced it with a Purolator BOSS and it didn't leak again. Just like with the Pentastar filter, I believe the filter for the Hyundai is made by the same manufacturer in Korea for both Purolator and FRAM. The gaskets are sourced from different suppliers though. The gaskets are the real issue, not the filters.

The XG10855 brown/orange gasket leaked on two consecutive filters installed in a 3.3L Theta II Hyundai engine. I would rev up the engine to 4000 RPM while driving down the street and back home, and oil would come out around the top of the housing. After the second filter, I had enough and replaced it with a Purolator BOSS and it didn't leak again. Just like with the Pentastar filter, I believe the filter for the Hyundai is made by the same manufacturer in Korea for both Purolator and FRAM. The gaskets are sourced from different suppliers though. The gaskets are the real issue, not the filters.
My friend has a 2017 Kia Sedona and he is actually is using this model XG10855 also, no leaks.

My friend has a 2017 Kia Sedona and he is actually is using this model XG10855 also, no leaks.
The same engine I suppose as our 2017 Santa Fe - 3.3L GDI. I used the XG10855 without issue as well. I think I might have stumbled on a batch with crappy gaskets since I got both filters at the same time. My mom drives the same model Hyundai, her XG10855 didn't leak but was purchased at a different time. I just said to myself that it was not worth the hassle and looked for a filter made by the same supplier with different gaskets, which was Purolator.

My friend in TX runs 0W-40. The engine runs quite a bit hotter when slow rock crawling and I want the extra viscosity for that and so I leave 5W-30 in year round. It did fine in the CO winter this year despite some -15°F temperatures.

All oils shear to a degree and 5W-30 will typically shear into a thick 0W-20 so I cannot see how it could possibly hurt--I have not had any issues in 50K miles and after 100K on 0W-40, my friend's Pentastar is still trucking right along.
2 grades up and hotter temps doesn't surprise me. Every grade up you run the risk of higher oil temps and higher friction. Oil pressure can go up as well due to the clearance. Your oil pressures are also directly related to oil filter used. It is not so simple as one grade is perfect so it is always recommended to stay with OEM recommended grade. If you look at charts 20 vs 30 grade it is almost identical.

Back