Can thicker oil prevent rocker arm failures in Pentastar 3.6 V6?

Why then did my hyundai manual say "for added performance use 5w-40" and says 5w-30 on the oil cap? Lol, it forces higher specifications and ensures 'synthetic base oils' for added friction and temperatures? You thinnies crack me up.

People that can’t understand context crack me up.

What exactly does any of that have to do with off roading and/or a Pentastar?

I have spend hundreds of hours off-road with a Pentastar and I would bet I can count one one hand the amount of times the engine was over 3.5k rpm. It’s basically idling around for hours.

One would think that with the hemi and 3.6 valvetrain problems Chrysler has forgotten how to make a reliable valvetrain components.
They don't make the components, they are sourced from vendors just like every brand

People that can’t understand context crack me up.

What exactly does any of that have to do with off roading and/or a Pentastar?

I have spend hundreds of hours off-road with a Pentastar and I would bet I can count one one hand the amount of times the engine was over 3.5k rpm. It’s basically idling around for hours.
Context is that in one sentence thinnies will say that 0w-20 and 5-30 are the same viscosity when at operating temperatures but then parrot the idea that thin oil is 'better' because of flow characteristics.

Added performance? That’s a new one.
Not really. Was in the owner's manual for my 2011 sonata2.0t. Basically, the saudi arabia , se Asia, Equatorial Africa , Central/ South America oil specs all say hotter Temps, higher viscosity. USA says Cafe requires lower viscosity for higher mileage ... and ... maybe... higher wear. Recent increases in viscosity for certain motors doing certain things seem to indicate this trend. Ford Coyote, gm ls, etc doing racing etc.

As well? Wear is directly related to HT/HS and the MOFT or do you deny basic physics?

And the winter rating doesn’t have much of anything to do with it.
I run 5W-30 in mine with no issues. Can I say it is "better"? No way to know, but I like the increased protection that it provides over 0W-20 especially when off-roading in high temperatures
All I was asking is how carbon carbonsteel came to this statement. Exactly forget the winter rating.. how does one know these fact?

Hmm. Yet Another thick vs. thin discussion.
Any thread with the word "viscosity" in it will become a thick vs thin debate. When there is only one sole viscosity for sale in the world is when thick vs thin discussions will cease. 😂

2 grades up and hotter temps doesn't surprise me. Every grade up you run the risk of higher oil temps and higher friction. Oil pressure can go up as well due to the clearance.
Maybe more oil shearing friction, but most likely less actual metal-to-metal friction (aka, wear) due to higher film thickness (aka, MOFT).

Your oil pressures are also directly related to oil filter used.
Not really, unless the oil pressure sensor is located before the oil filter. About every engine made has the oil pressure sensor after the oil filter. Only time you will see an oil pressure difference caused by the oil filter (with sensor after the filter) is if the oil pump goes into pressure relief ... which would only happen close to or at redline with hot oil.

Context is that in one sentence thinnies will say that 0w-20 and 5-30 are the same viscosity when at operating temperatures but then parrot the idea that thin oil is 'better' because of flow characteristics.
Misconception #57: 0W-20 and 5W-30 can't be the same viscosity when at the same operating temperature. They are rated "20" grade and "30" grade for a reason.

All I was asking is how carbon carbonsteel came to this statement. Exactly forget the winter rating.. how does one know these fact?
Because apparently he understands the basics that wear correlates to MOFT, and that higher viscosity gives more MOFT. Call it "added protection" because you have more MOFT between moving parts to work with before metal-to-metal contact occurs. Higer MOFT headroom is added insurance to minimize wear.

Misconception #57: 0W-20 and 5W-30 can't be the same viscosity when at the same operating temperature. They are rated "20" grade and "30" grade for a reason.
I didn't say it, tiger did, zee.

"2 grades up and hotter temps doesn't surprise me. Every grade up you run the risk of higher oil temps and higher friction. Oil pressure can go up as well due to the clearance. Your oil pressures are also directly related to oil filter used. It is not so simple as one grade is perfect so it is always recommended to stay with OEM recommended grade. If you look at charts 20 vs 30 grade it is almost identical."

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220521-220118_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220521-220118_Chrome.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 28

What?

Nobody that has even basic oil knowledge would ever say 20 and 30 grades are the same viscosity.

2 grades up and hotter temps doesn't surprise me. Every grade up you run the risk of higher oil temps and higher friction. Oil pressure can go up as well due to the clearance. Your oil pressures are also directly related to oil filter used. It is not so simple as one grade is perfect so it is always recommended to stay with OEM recommended grade. If you look at charts 20 vs 30 grade it is almost identical.
I am not saying the engine runs hotter due to the 0W-40. I am saying it runs hotter due to slow rock crawling off-road where the load is high and the cooling system is not very efficient due to low air flow.

In a Pentastar, the oil filter has nothing to do with oil pressure, so I have no idea what you are trying to relate or say here.

Every document I have seen shows at significant difference between xW-20 and xW-30 as related to viscosity when measured at the same temperatures such as 100°C.

Using Valvoline Extended Protection as an example, 0W-20 has a Kinematic Viscosity of 8.4 @100°C versus 10.7 for 5W-30. A 24% difference, so I would not agree they are "almost identical".

Last edited:
I didn't say it, tiger did, zee.

"2 grades up and hotter temps doesn't surprise me. Every grade up you run the risk of higher oil temps and higher friction. Oil pressure can go up as well due to the clearance. Your oil pressures are also directly related to oil filter used. It is not so simple as one grade is perfect so it is always recommended to stay with OEM recommended grade. If you look at charts 20 vs 30 grade it is almost identical."
I know ... I was just saying that whoever claims that 20 and 30 grade are the same viscosity are fueling a misconception. The KV100 viscosity difference is enough to make a difference in film thickness between moving parts.

Back