3.6 Pentastar Edge vs Helix Ultra

I’m at 170,000 kms on my 14 3.6 Pentastar Wrangler without any lifter / roller rocker issues. Very early in the engines life I went away from the Dexos spec oil and ran a high saps Valvoline Synpower 5w30 FE. Went from the Valvoline to Shell helix ultra a3/b4 SN for the full saps and it’s sometimes on sale for a ridiculous cheap price. I’m having a hard time finding the SHU so I found Castrol Edge 5w30 a3/b4 SL today for $42 AUD. I’m reading the edge being an SL would have an ever higher saps level over the SHU but wondering between the two which could be considered the better oil in terms of wear protection for my vulnerable valve train? With the slow availability of SHU I’m considering using Edge from here on even though I really liked the SHU. I’m thinking the full saps oil may have been a major factor in why I haven’t had any worn roller rocker issues that are so common in my year engine? Thanks

Castrol Edge 5w30 a3/b4 SL seems to be a AUS/Asian specific blend.
Both have MB 229.5 approval assuming its the version linked below.
Sulphated ash > 1.0 and ≤ 1.6
So the difference can not be substantial. Castrol "only" has 1.2.

So Moly vs Titanium would be the question. Castrol has TI instead in some blends. No clue if thats a factor the valvetrain.
Need a VOA to see that though.

Skärmklipp.PNG

Last edited:
Back