For a 2000 Rav4 1AZ-FE with 100k miles

What would you use? I have added the prices I paid

Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 SM $50
Edge 0w40 A3/B4 $50
Magnatec 5w30 $33
Magnatec 10w40 $10
Valvoline XLD 15w40 SL $7

Filter costs about $15

What does the MFR recommend in terms of viscosity? Any known oil issues? Here, I believe that engine would use 5w30, but not sure there.

Date is more important than price.

Run the oldest oil first, as long as it meets the manufacturer specs for your car.

Leave the Valvoline to last, so you don't feel bad throwing it out

How long you going to do the oil change ?

Edge 0W40 for 10,000km...assuming that gets you to May, keep the filter, and the Magnatec Fuel Saver....next Spring, the Shell with a new filter..

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
What does the MFR recommend in terms of viscosity? Any known oil issues? Here, I believe that engine would use 5w30, but not sure there.

We are allowed to run any viscosity in any car. Birth right of the Southern Hemisphere.

In the USA deviating from the viscosity in the OM is a felony.

Oldest first!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: Rolla07

We are allowed to run any viscosity in any car. Birth right of the Southern Hemisphere.

So true. Soon, the authorities will be stopping you as you leave Walmart and asking you what car you're buying that heavy 10W-30 for.

Why such an expensive filter? I would use any oil as long as it meets the spec?

No B&B oil in your stash (budget and beater)? Found exclusively at dollar stores.

I keep my oil stash, about 12 Jugs, in a large black Pelican ice fishing sled that has high sides.

That way, if a jug lets go, I won't be cleaning up 5 Litres of oil (or more if 2 break).

I feel a lot better about it that way!!

Originally Posted By: SR5
Rolla07 said:

That is because we have a federal agency called the EPA, and another called the TSA which are tasked with keeping us and the Earth healthy and happy, and protecting us from oil of an unsafe viscosity. They have expensive computer models that tell them what viscosity oil is safe (from a health/happy stand point) to use in a particular engine. Using an unapproved oil may be considered a crime against humanity.

Originally Posted By: cat843
Why such an expensive filter? I would use any oil as long as it meets the spec?

No B&B oil in your stash (budget and beater)? Found exclusively at dollar stores.

$15-23 is the going rate for an aftermarket filter from an auto store. The smaller filter from the previous model is half the price and it does fit though

We don't get oil like that. There is house brand and the majors usually offer a cheap option like the Valvoline above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back