Can Not Using 5W-20 Ruin Your New Ford Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the 0w vs 5w vs 10w is a lot more important than 20 vs 30. I.E. the low number is more important than the high number. I got a very good UOA on my wife's 3.0 Ford with M1 0w-20. Currently I have Motorcraft 5w-20 in it and will get that tested. I wouldn't hesistate to run M1 5w-30 in it, maybe I will since the 5 qt. jugs of that are cheaper than the $4.77 a quart for the M1 0w-20, OTOH what's $4.00? On the third hand, if the M'craft shows just as well then I might as well spend $1.42 a quart.
offtopic.gif
The GM engineer on the Caddy boards told me I could run M1 10w-30 no problem in my dad's new DeVille that calls for 5w-30, but he might lose 0.5 mpg.
rolleyes.gif
I was told to definitely run the recommended 10w-30 in my mom's '99 Eldorado because of the flat tappets, the newer ones have rollers. I was looking at just buying beaucoup jugs of the same oil since Northstars hold a ton of it. Dad's car goes to Florida in the winter anyway.

My dad owns a 98 F-150, it has a 4.6L V-8. He purchased it used with about 70some k on it. He ran 10w30 in it from the time he got it until recently. He wanted to go with a semi syn and I said why not try the MC 5w20. He went for it. It does consume some, but all in all its working great. He is almost to 140k and most of that was on 10w30 so I see nothing wrong with using it.

Eric

Per Gene,

quote:

Will 10W-30 ruin the engine? No.

I have to agree 100%. Nowdays with the Energy Conserving ratings, some 5W-30's & 10W-30's have very similar viscosity-temperature curves.

The notion that the use of 10W vs. 5W will harm the engine implies that the 5W is just on the ragged edge of being to heavy.

This type of failure would be associated with start-up & we would be seeing many reports of 10W-30 failures in the northern states during cold weather starts.

BTW, as a comparison, Pennzoil 10W-30 & Chevron/Havoline 5W-30 appear to provide very similar SUS values in UOA reports.

Short answer: No, using 10w30 will not hurt these motors. My only catch to that statement is that if I lived in a climate like mine, the first number ain't going to be 10 in the winter.

As further proof that using a 10w30 won't harm the engine, I'm using a 5w40 in my '99 4.6l F150. The first UOA is posted in the UOA section with generous comparisons to 5w20 and 5w30 over similar intervals. The short story is wear is generally about the same on a per mile basis, but I lost 7% of my fuel mileage versus a 5w20 or 5w30 over the same type of interval.

I' have no problem using 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, or 10w30 (in the summer anyways) in a mod motor. Based on my first 5w40 data point, I haven't found a good reason to recommend them yet...

quote:

Originally posted by thrace:
"So far, I cannot find a true dino 5W-20 (Group II+) - only "synth blends" or Group IIIs and upcoming PAOs/Group IVs."

Most bottles of 5w 20 do not mention synthetic blend at all except Motorcraft. How can one determine from the product data sheet, MSDS or any other source available to a regular customer that Havoline, Pennzoil, Chevron, Castrol or any brand is indeed a synthetic blend.

Castrol now has a plain jane dino 5-20 and a syn blend for about 60 cents more per bottle.

quote:

Originally posted by sxg6:
even if 5w-20 was motivated from cafe, which i still am not convinced of, do you honestly think that vehicle manufacturers would want to taint their image by recommending an inferior motor oil which would decrease engine life just to get an extra mpg? i doubt it. i use only 5w-20 and the occasional m1 0w-20 in my civic. worked great so far to 30k.

I have 100K on my '02 F-150 5.4L. Nothing but 5-20 since day one, with the exception of the 10-30 ST I used during Auto-Rx.

Nothing wrong with 5-20 oils imo.

I own a 2003 f-150 5.4, great truck !!! use M1 5w30 great oil !!! I suggest you do the same especially with a v-8 triton..
patriot.gif

100k is nothing on these motors.

If you have 300k over 10 years instead of 100k in 2 years using 5w20 I'd be more impressed.

uoa's with 5w-20 show low wear, just as good as other grades. so i see no reason why itd decrease motor life

I got my 1997 T-bird 4.6L with 72k miles on it.

The previous owner said he ALWAYS used Pennzoil 10w-40, probably summer and winter (in TN)!!!

I wasn't oil-educated then, so I did use Motorcraft 10/40 for about 5k miles, then switched to MC 5/30(winter) and sometimes Pennz.10/30 HM oils in summer, and then regular 10/30 (sometimes MC, sometimes Chevron Supr), and then also GC 0/30(had a pretty good UOA with GC, but consumed about 3/4 qt of oil per 4k miles).

The only thing (engine-wise) replaced up to now on this T-bird is a DPFE sensor at 80k miles.

Right now, the car has just over 100k miles, and it's quieter and smoother than my wife's 2003 Elantra which has only 15k on it, and runs really well. No oil is consumed in 4k OCI's. Although I know 100k is not much for a mod.4.6, I think something would've gone wrong by now if caused by thicker oils, probably during those first 72k miles of Pennz.10/40

I did an Arx treatment about 5k miles ago, and I don't want to run xw-40 oils anymore; The next oil will be MC 5/30 syn.blend for winter...next summer oil still undecided.

Just thought I'd mention this.

quote:

Originally posted by darkdan:

If you have 300k over 10 years instead of 100k in 2 years using 5w20 I'd be more impressed.

Would my buddy's '99 F-150 with 250K and MC 5-20 make you feel all warm and fuzzy?

Didn't realize I needed to impress you.

quote:

originally posted by 02supercrew:
Would my buddy's '99 F-150 with 250K and MC 5-20 make you feel all warm and fuzzy?

I'm not trying to be smart, but I am more impressed by 250K. I have concerns with how well a 5w-20(excluding Red Line) will protect over the long,long haul. Especially such components as the modular camshafts w/ their inherent high acceleration/velocity ramp profiles, not to mention timing chains and tensioners. I know 5w-20's have shown good UOA's; but typical analyses don't show us everything. Hearing that one protected to 250K is interesting; and one I'll file in the ole memory bank.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 02supercrew:

quote:

Originally posted by darkdan:

Didn't realize I needed to impress you.

Most good Ford fourms that support Ford trucks, will tell you that going 200K+ on 5-20 is nothing new.

Given that most 5-30's shear down to a 5-20, I fail to see any concern about 5-20's ablility for protection in a Ford motor.

quote:

Originally posted by Big Jim:
Although I have not seen any examples of engine problems on Ford's modular engines when using something other that 5W20 when it was specified, I have seen many examples failed engines using 10W30 when 5W30 was specified.

Most of these were early in the history of the modular engine family. Mostly 1991 thru 1994. A few 1999 models though. Most of them had blown the oil filter off on cold starts. Evidently the oil pressure regulator valve may bind or hang up with the heavier oil.

rolleyes.gif

This is not true. There is NO WAY, absolutely NO WAY, that using Mobil 1 10W-30 in a Ford modular V-8 will cause engine damage. I don't care if FORD, for CAFE reasons, spec'ed a -20w0, 10W30 synthetic still would not hurt the engine. I do think some of the 5W20 oil marketing has caused another type of damage though, (brain damage), based on some of the post here.
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Americanflag:
5W-20 weight oil. They said using a different weight such as 10W-30 would ruin the engine over time.

It will void the warranty, but not ruin your engine. I would use 5W-20 until the warranty expires and then immediately switch to a thick, protective 5W-40.

quote:

Originally posted by bretfraz:
One final comment: Even if a Ford owner uses a viscosity other than 5W-20, Ford will still likely cover warranty claims if the owner can prove oil changes were done regularly. This threat of Ford voiding warranties unless 5W-20 only is used can be overruled in court, IMO.

That implies I can run any oil, like 0W-0 or 50W-50, and Ford has to replace my destroyed engine.

That simply is not true.

The judge would rule in favor of Ford if you do not use the oil recommended.

[ October 22, 2004, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: farfel ]

Remember anything a manufacturer says is a recommendation not a requirement. 3000 mile oil changes are a reccomendation not a requirement. 5w20 oil is a recommendation not a requirement. If you ever have an engine problem no matter if you are using what the manufacturer recommends save some of the fluid and the filter from that engine or transmission to back you up in court.

Ya...but those recommendations turn into requirements the second you step into court.

If its written in the manual, and it specifically states a viscosity and an OCI...you have to meet those requirements to maintain the warranty.

After seeing multiple arbitrations over lemon cars, I can definitely say that everything in the manual is an "out" for a manufacturer to deny a claim.

You can do whatever you want, but don't expect to not have to pay the bill when the time comes.

quote:

Originally posted by 69 Riv GS:
I'm not trying to be smart, but I am more impressed by 250K. I have concerns with how well a 5w-20(excluding Red Line) will protect over the long,long haul.

I believe if you'll look at the 0W-20 Mobil 1, you'll see it has increased levels of phosporous, zinc, and molybdenum over the Mobil 1 0W-30 and 0W-40 blends.

There are a few circumstances where you might break the oil film with a 0W-20 compared to the 0W-30 and 0W-40, and the increased additive levels compensate for that.

quote:

Originally posted by StanW:
Remember anything a manufacturer says is a recommendation not a requirement. 3000 mile oil changes are a reccomendation not a requirement. 5w20 oil is a recommendation not a requirement. If you ever have an engine problem no matter if you are using what the manufacturer recommends save some of the fluid and the filter from that engine or transmission to back you up in court.

Why? So Ford's lawyer can prove you did not follow manufacturer's instructions & void the warranty?

That's exactly what will happen if you use 5W-50 when 5W-20 is *required* by the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back