Can i use ACEA C4 instead of C2

Sorry but i have more stupid questions :)

My D4-D corolla 1.4l manual recommends 0w-30 C2 engine oil or 5w-30 of unkown ACEA spec.
Local dealer told me they would service my car with 5w-30 C3 normally.

1. So instead of using 5w-30 C3 with higher HTHS than C2. Can i use ACEA C4 with LOW saps and the same HTHS as C3 ? (possibly increase DPF filter lifespan)

2. In some forum user pointed out the recommanded ACEA spec could be tied to the additive content and damage can occur with wrong acea spec ?

3. Does it make any sense to use 5w-30 instead of 0w-30 if temperature does not drop under -4°F / -20°C ?

4. Does the manufacturers recommended oil spec favor 0.1% decrease in fuel economy over durability?

I think a lot of answers might be found in your previous thread:

Sorry but i have more stupid questions :)

My D4-D corolla 1.4l manual recommends 0w-30 C2 engine oil or 5w-30 of unkown ACEA spec.
Local dealer told me they would service my car with 5w-30 C3 normally.

1. So instead of using 5w-30 C3 with higher HTHS than C2. Can i use ACEA C4 with LOW saps and the same HTHS as C3 ? (possibly increase DPF filter lifespan)

2. In some forum user pointed out the recommanded ACEA spec could be tied to the additive content and damage can occur with wrong acea spec ?

3. Does it make any sense to use 5w-30 instead of 0w-30 if temperature does not drop under -4°F / -20°C ?

4. Does the manufacturers recommended oil spec favor 0.1% decrease in fuel economy over durability?
5w-30 would be my choice based on cheaper cost & keep up viscosity. Your engine was designed around a certain specification & I'd stick w/a C3 but to your point if replacing muffler/cat parts are real expensive to replace then a C4 could very well allow a longer life span of those components. However, is that at the expense of reduced engine lifespan? You see there may not be a free lunch here.

Last edited:
5W is just fine at -20 C.

The difference in required fuel economy in the ACEA tests between C2 and C3/C4 is actually 1.5%, so not that insignificant.

Higher-HTHS oils only provide reduced wear in conditions where the oil gets extremely hot and thin. A manufacturer's recommended oil grade will be thick enough for most drivers and will not sacrifice engine protection at all. If you don't live in a hot climate and don't drive really hard, your engine probably won't benefit at all from the higher-HTHS oil.

The question you are asking is in effect: Can I run a low-SAPS oil in an engine recommended to run on mid-SAPS oil?

That engine has been in use since before low SAPS was common, and you didn’t mention what year it is/the manual was written. It’s possible it’s just fine for it. You’d likely need to investigate from people who know that engine well. That would answer 1 & 2.

3- The weight is fine. Less additives is not a bad thing.
4- Yes, depending upon where, the recommendations are influenced by government pressure to prioritize marginal mileage gains over wear protection. Manufacturers will give different oil recommendations by country/political jurisdiction, and not necessarily by climate or any other reason.

Was hoping C4 would be superior to C2 & C3. To get the higher hths and possibly prolong dpf filter.
But not possibly damage the engine.

Of course i should just sell the disel car if im worried, but i have this strange fetish for reliable diesel cars.

Was hoping C4 would be superior to C2 & C3. To get the higher hths and possibly prolong dpf filter.
But not possibly damage the engine.

Of course i should just sell the disel car if im worried, but i have this strange fetish for reliable diesel cars.
The truth of the matter is, unless you are burning copious amounts of oil, the SAPS level isn't really going to matter.

Back