Can changing oil early impact fuel/oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to do my first oil change on my 2011 GTI early, before the 10,000 mile interval suggested by VW. I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I have sort of a narrow question.

The service guy at my dealer said to leave the factory fill in for 10,000 miles even though there is no "break-in" additive. I asked what the harm would be, since there is no additive, in replacing the oil with cleaner oil. He said VW wants the factory oil in there for 10,000 miles because changing early can result in increased fuel consumption.

This sounds like [censored] to me. Even if he meant to say "oil consumption," I still don't see how that's possible. How would changing oil from dirty oil to clean oil be anything but good for the car? I would think it is at very worst just a waste of $50.

Originally Posted By: Scotty2Hotty
He said VW wants the factory oil in there for 10,000 miles because changing early can result in increased fuel consumption.

This sounds like [censored] to me.

Me too.

How early is early to you?
What are your plans?
We can leave break in oil a lot longer than the old days.
With your car, do you have DI? Too bad if you do. Stock is not the best, in the USA. The pressures were modified down to help save the pump cam and it compromised the effectiveness, and also have less than optimal computer programming [compared to Europe]. And of course the valve deposit issues they all have.
They [GTI DI] run a little rich in this country, and it affects the oil [negatively].
A good computer program from the aftermarket will help gas mileage, power, and oil dilution . It's a shame we have to do this.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
but it has been proven that frequent oil changes increase engine wear.

How and where?

I also think the dealer story is [censored], but it has been proven that frequent oil changes increase engine wear.

I have heard this as well but have not seen any info to back it up....What about a short tripper that rarely sees full sustained operating temp there would be fuel, water and acid in the oil which would need frequent oil changes...just my opinion

What I did with my Audi was I changed the oil at 5K myself then changed it again at 10K with GC. Then I went with the AoA-recommended 10K OCIs using GC.

As far as increased fuel/oil consumption caused by changing the oil too soon, I think that's not correct. If anything, increased oil consumption might be caused by leaving oil in too long.

...but it has been proven that frequent oil changes increase engine wear.
Why? From starting the engine without oil distributed after the oil change?

Whenever you get advice always consider the source. In car repair this is important in medical affairs it can save your life.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Whenever you get advice always consider the source. In car repair this is important in medical affairs it can save your life.
Heh, ok. Then what do you suggest?

I also think the dealer story is [censored], but it has been proven that frequent oil changes increase engine wear.

THAT, is the bigest pile of B.S ive seen this week, changing your oil more often will REDUCE, engine wear

stick to a sane OCI or IMO less than 10k Miles, (i change every 7K miles) and save your engine!

these "new extended oil drain intervals" are all about marketing "matintence free" not what is actually good for your car.

and to the OP i would highly reccomend changeing your oil at 5 k thena gain at 10k and if your car has fuel dillution issues like one guy posted in this thread then i would continue to run 5k OCI's or at least get a UOA done and see how muuch fuel is getting in the oil!

Originally Posted By: Scotty2Hotty
How would changing oil from dirty oil to clean oil be anything but good for the car?

Your instincts (and common sense) are on the right track. There is no good reason to leave the FF in for 10,000 miles.

I called the dealer, and this time spoke to the actual technician, not the guy behind the counter. He said the same thing, that changing the FF early could negatively impact FUEL consumption. I pressed him--I asked how could changing oil with bits of metal and stuff floating in it for oil without said bits be bad, and he said you need those things floating in the oil to ensure the engine breaks in correctly. VW is really feeding these guys some serious Kool-Aid, I think.

I got the opinion of my award-winning Saab mechanic I've used for like fifteen years, and he scoffed. He said he'd like to see some literature that says changing before 10k is bad for your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back