Can 0w20 handle high RPMs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps some did not make design changes to support lube spec changes … as I noted before … my 2018 5.3L is quieter on 0w20 than my 2010 5.3L was on 40's …
I may change to x30 some miles away … but not due to noise unless it's noise here or in my head …

Originally Posted by dblshock
...and louder is caused by more friction, simple common sense.

I've seen people make your comment before but I can't get my head wrapped around it. How is that related?

Friction would make no sound or be higher frequency noise, this "louder" would be from something else I would think.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Perhaps some did not make design changes to support lube spec changes … as I noted before … my 2018 5.3L is quieter on 0w20 than my 2010 5.3L was on 40's …
I may change to x30 some miles away … but not due to noise unless it's noise here or in my head …

Exactly! I did a lot of research on the Rangers engine since conception. The only significant changes were to a beefier block (for noise reduction) and piston design. The crown was changed slightly, the top ring was moved closer to the top and the rings were made smaller (better combustion and FE benefits). No changes to crankshaft or rod/main bearings.

Page 748 of your owners manual actually does have the allowance.
â– Engine oil selection
"Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.
Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil
Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20
SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.
If SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil change.
Oil viscosity (0W-20 is explained here as an example):
• The 0W in 0W-20 indicates the characteristic of the oil which allows cold startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier starting of the engine in cold weather.
• The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions

Originally Posted by ekpolk
take your oci's out 3k, drive like your 80, stay off the I and enjoy the fuel savings on W20.

Nope, I'm going to go 10k miles (I plan to switch from the AFE to Extended Performance), and I will confidently cruise at 85 on the interstate all day long (I guess today, that IS driving like you're 80...) on the hottest summer day -- here in FLORIDA --, and I will lose no sleep over it.

By the way, the Owner's Manual for the 2018 Prius does not even have the heavy use or hot weather recommendation to use a 30 wt oil. It's absolute -- it says use 0w-20 at all times and in all conditions. We are allowed to top off with 5w-20, but are "cautioned" to replace it with 0w-20 at the next change. No other oil viscosities are even mentioned at all, nor are any "extreme" conditions.

0w20 is CAFE dogma, get over it, geez.

Just another drive by comment with no substance.

0w20 is CAFE dogma, get over it, geez.

If it is, so what? Again, please show us where "they" are hiding all the engines ruined by 5w-20 or 0w-20 over the last twenty years of the existence of this dogma. . .

OK, let's take the "dogma" thing as a given for a moment. The idea would be that use of 0w-20 generates a modest, maybe very modest "per car" increase in fuel economy, and a large overall (national scale) decrease in fuel burned. What's the problem with that?

I would have a problem with it, if it were shown that 0w-20 didn't properly protect my engine. But it obviously does. Twenty years with no sign of a "thin oil calamity" very clearly proves this. YOU need to get over it.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
elkpolk
What passenger vehicle manuals recommended 0W20 15-20 years ago?

He said 5w20 OR 0w20, and the answer to that question is pretty much everything made by Ford and Honda from that time period, as that's how long they've been factory filled with an xw20 oil.

Originally Posted by Patman
elkpolk

He said 5w20 OR 0w20, and the answer to that question is pretty much everything made by Ford and Honda from that time period, as that's how long they've been factory filled with an xw20 oil.

This^

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
â– Engine oil selection
. . .
By the way, the Owner's Manual for the 2018 Prius does not even have the heavy use or hot weather recommendation to use a 30 wt oil. It's absolute -- it says use 0w-20 at all times and in all conditions. We are allowed to top off with 5w-20, but are "cautioned" to replace it with 0w-20 at the next change. No other oil viscosities are even mentioned at all, nor are any "extreme" conditions.
[/quote]

Thank you Bryan, you are correct, I did miss that reference. Excuse (pretty pathetic...): I've only had the car ten days, and the manual for three days (had to be shipped, original was lost). And the darned thing is 820 (yes, EIGHT HUNDRED and twenty) pages long! The manual for the 04 Prius was only 300-something pages! It looks like an unabridged dictionary!

Anyway, even with that language in there, I don't see much difference in approach, especially since they don't specify what they mean by "high speed" or "extreme load" conditions.

If I observe undue consumption, I'll probably check with a UOA and evaluate from there. I was tentatively planning to do a UOA at the 10k mile point to establish a baseline, so we'll know early if 0w-20 possibly isn't up my higher speed, hot weather, medium load driving. History has already spoken in the broader sense, but time will tell with this car.

elkpolk

Others already addressed. The issue isn't whether it's 0w or 5w, the real question is whether 20 wt oil serves effectively when the engine is hot.

Also worth noting, it seems that soon, the 20wt oils will be the "thick" ones. The present Camry and Avalon hybrids both call for use of 0w-16 oil! Apparently, the Japanese have been spec-ing it over there for ten years now.

Without doubt, regulators are creating "external" economic incentives to encourage car makers to produce fleets that burn less fuel. "Thinner" oils are part of that.

Let's not forget that car makers also have the very real, internal and inherent incentive of keeping customers happy, satisfied and loyal. With that in mind, I trust that they're being careful not to make choices that will lead to a noticeable increase in preventable early engine death. IMO, of course.

Yes they are extremely long manuals now, it is aweful in a PDF. Most people do not get comfort in nuance. (People like prescriptions so when they see. "Use this" statements from an authority provides comfort, human behavior can easily be influenced this way.
It is easier to follow specific Instructions such as "use 0w20" it's what the manufacturer recomends.
But to say it's ok to go up in oil grade for harder working engines but not break the EPA/CAFE (cars must recomend oil used in mileage sequence test) oil recommendation language requirement is a semantic tightrope (and nuance not specs)
In the end 0w20 is fine for the majority of American drivers. The type of driving a Prius gains the most in mileage/economy is exactly the type that 0w20 also is doing its best in protection and economy. (City and suburban milage).

Going up in oil weight for me is because I see my use as outside the USA norm, (I do a lot of off-road driving(lowmrange mountains, high range deep sand)and higher than US average highway cruising speeds)I use the modes of lubrication and hierarchy of controls. Hydrodynamic lubrication is a safer/lower wear control than boundary. I see higher HTHS as a quantitative control measure to maintain that type of lubrication. Of course all control measures have a cost.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
â– Engine oil selection
. . .

Thank you Bryan, you are correct, I did miss that reference. Excuse (pretty pathetic...): I've only had the car ten days, and the manual for three days (had to be shipped, original was lost). And the darned thing is 820 (yes, EIGHT HUNDRED and twenty) pages long! The manual for the 04 Prius was only 300-something pages! It looks like an unabridged dictionary!

Anyway, even with that language in there, I don't see much difference in approach, especially since they don't specify what they mean by "high speed" or "extreme load" conditions.

If I observe undue consumption, I'll probably check with a UOA and evaluate from there. I was tentatively planning to do a UOA at the 10k mile point to establish a baseline, so we'll know early if 0w-20 possibly isn't up my higher speed, hot weather, medium load driving. History has already spoken in the broader sense, but time will tell with this car. [/quote]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gokhan
OK, doing an actual calculation, assuming the A_Harman index is temperature-independent:

M1 0W-20 HTHSV150 = 2.70 cP
M1 0W-20 HTHSV150 = 1.57 cP

M1 5W-30 HTHSV150 = 3.10 cP
M1 5W-30 HTHSV200 = 1.75 cP

So, the HTHSV ratio between 5W-30 and 0W-20 decreases from about 1.15 to 1.11 when the temperature increases from 150 C to 200 C.

Considering that the oil almost thinned by half, does 11% make much difference though? This doesn't even take into account permanent shear. 5W-30 will have more permanent shear than 0W-20. So, it could be almost no difference after including the permanent shear.

I don't think there is whole a lot of difference between a 0W-20 and a 5W-30. If you're really worried about high RPMs, use a 15W-40, 5W-50, 20W-50, or such.

200C? What passenger car engine is going to see that type of temps? One is not long for this world.

I realize W20 oils have advanced since I first used them with my new '03 Accord and yes they probably do work in select circumstances but by far and away most using it experience oil consumption after 50k...if your ok with that be my guest it's your equipment...my advice is upgrade right off the bat and avoid the 50k of wear before you then conclude to upgrade.

Last edited:
...and the Japs are eco zealots, understandable given their small patch of existence to operate.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Cool...do you follow my spreadsheet ?

I'm still searching for my holy grail, the HTHS Viscosity Index.

I follow it and like it. I did some research this morning, found a good paper, and it said that shear stress, not shear rate, is what causes permanent viscosity index improver breakup. The two are related but it's possible to have a very low viscosity base oil (with VIIs in it) that can be put at a very high shear rate but not very high shear stress, and the viscosity loss is decreased relative to the loss with everything the same except the base oil viscosity. You've already discovered nearly the same thing but that it also applies to temporary viscosity loss. The paper showed that shear stress is proportional to the square root of the dynamic viscosity. That is towards the end of the paper. I think that would imply the relationship between shear stress and the Harman Index. If you could determine that relationship, I think it would allow you to calculate the Harman Index at 200 C, and have another data point to calculate something akin to the HTHS viscosity index. Here is the paper: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11249-017-0888-7

Originally Posted by JAG
Originally Posted by Shannow
Cool...do you follow my spreadsheet ?

I'm still searching for my holy grail, the HTHS Viscosity Index.

I follow it and like it. I did some research this morning, found a good paper, and it said that shear stress, not shear rate, is what causes permanent viscosity index improver breakup. The two are related but it's possible to have a very low viscosity base oil (with VIIs in it) that can be put at a very high shear rate but not very high shear stress, and the viscosity loss is decreased relative to the loss with everything the same except the base oil viscosity. You've already discovered nearly the same thing but that it also applies to temporary viscosity loss. The paper showed that shear stress is proportional to the square root of the dynamic viscosity. That is towards the end of the paper. I think that would imply the relationship between shear stress and the Harman Index. If you could determine that relationship, I think it would allow you to calculate the Harman Index at 200 C, and have another data point to calculate something akin to the HTHS viscosity index. Here is the paper: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11249-017-0888-7

Great thinking
thumbsup2.gif
This is some good old-school BITOG stuff here, nice to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back