Calling all Tundra/Sequoia 5.7 V8 owners! Why not purchase? Why yes?

OK. You guys know I am far from being a Toyota fan, but I have a ridiculous issue with Atlas.
I bought Atlas in January 2023, 15k, slightly used, SEL-Premium, all goodies inside, and an excellent Fender Audio system.
Mechanically? Excellent vehicle. Absolutely nothing went wrong in the 30k we made in a year and a half. The car has been to Tahoe, Yosemite, LA, San Francisco, Las Vegas (several times), Chicago, etc.
However, I am now replacing the fifth (5th!) windshield! I have no idea what is the deal with this car. Apparently, it is an issue, and last night, I found a crack across the windshield again. The last time I replaced the windshield was 04/29! I do have full glass coverage, but I came to the point where I am becoming paranoid driving it. I had BMW X5. Sienna, VW CC, VW Tiguan (still have it), here in CO (it is known for rocks on the road) and never had a cracked windshield: numerous chips but no cracks.
So, last night was the last straw; regardless that I really like this car, it is mechanically sound, I just don't want to come to a point where my insurance hikes up a premium or drops full coverage, and in the end,I don't want to do 5,000 miles road trip, have cracked, get a ticket, or worse glass shatters.
So, that then leaves me with what is next?
Honda Pilot (previous gen.)? Transmission issues, and worse, I really hate the seating position.
Toyota Highlander? Too small.
Grand Highlander? Too expensive, horrid seats (same as Sienna, tried them).
Nissan Armada (not entertaining Pathfinder. New is too small, old has CVT=over my dead body): Some issues, and worse, small inside for its outside dimensions. Actually, smaller than Atlas. However, still thinking about this one.
Chevrolet Tahoe family? Lifter issues, transmission issues.
Ford Expedition? Transmission issues I hate that "dial" gear lever.
Dodge? Durango is small, too old, and has lifter issues.

So, that leaves me thinking about Sequoia 2nd gen. I know mechanically, it is reliable, it does not have rust issues on the frame like the previous gen, the ABS module won't try to kill me like on GX470, and the suspension does not have ball joint issues that the older one had. It is big, has power, so it checks all boxes for us, has a real spare, locking diff. as we do go off-road, not to the point that we needed locking diff. and 4LO, but that might change.
So, those that have it? What are the drawbacks? I know it uses gas like M1 Abrams and then some. But, I use my BMW daily, so when I drive my family vehicle in town, I usually need to pick up something big or just do some exercise so the battery doesn't die. So, this would be a road trip car, skiing when taking kids (I use a BMW when skiing alone, which is 95% of my skiing time). What else is there to look for? I am paging @Astro14, as I know you have a Tundra, which, yeah, has a different rear axle, but the engine/transmission is the same.

Thanx guys.

12MPG and being overpriced is really the only issue with those IMO.
LOL. Like I said, gas mileage is on par with M1 Abrams and some. But, it will be hwy vehicle, so I can live with 17mpg.
Prices? Yeah, this will require some gymnastics, probably picking up a car far from home, and driving it back, as in CO they are way overpriced. I saw in other parts of the country they are cheaper.

I thought they had some issues with water pumps and cam tower leaks.

Depending on the year, may or may not have a proper trans cooler.

On mine I “had to” lock out gears as it liked to upshift early and didn’t like to downshift.

Cruise control was a joke, it’d slow down then do a double downshift, then hunt for the rest of the hill. Maybe it is better in Sequioa but even Corolla does similar now.

Cam tower and valley plate (coolant down the back of engine) leaks aren’t uncommon after 100k.

You’ll also probably want a 13+ as they don’t suffer from the secondary air pump issue

Have some spare change ready for SAIS, when it goes. Not an IF, but unfortunately is a WHEN. Unless you sell before it goes. OEM does last a while, 100-150k.

I installed a Hewitt-Tech gen 2 bypass kit in my dad's 4.6L Tundra, as a cheaper option ($1k). Aftermarket parts exist, but fail after a couple months. OEM replacement is a few grand at the dealer. Some differences in the system between 4.6L & 5.7L, but most owners report $4k-$7k bill from the dealership. A bit of a PITA to get to on the back of the engine, squished by firewall. Or just go with 2013+, as @Dino01 suggested.

Cam tower and valley plate leaks aren’t uncommon after 100k.

You’ll also probably want a 13+ as they don’t suffer from the secondary air pump issue

Yeah, would go 2018 and up after that "redisgn." Mostly bcs. LED lights hoping it won't be like two candles I had on Sienna. And the instrument cluster is cleaner.
I watched that video last night. IDK location of water pump, but would not be surprised if it is easier to change than on VW 2.0T. I mean, something does have to give up. As long as they don;t like to grenade out of nowhere.

Have some spare change ready for SAIS, when it goes. Not an IF, but unfortunately is a WHEN. Unless you sell before it goes. OEM does last a while, 100-150k.

I installed a Hewitt-Tech gen 2 bypass kit in my dad's 4.6L Tundra, as a cheaper option ($1k). Aftermarket parts exist, but fail after a couple months. OEM replacement is a few grand at the dealer. Some differences in the system between 4.6L & 5.7L, but most owners report $4k-$7k bill from the dealership. A bit of a PITA to get to on the back of the engine, squished by firewall. Or just go with 2013+, as @Dino01 suggested.
Yeah, I heard SAIS is resolved after 2013. I would go 2018 and later.

Yeah, would go 2018 and up after that "redisgn." Mostly bcs. LED lights hoping it won't be like two candles I had on Sienna. And the instrument cluster is cleaner.
I watched that video last night. IDK location of water pump, but would not be surprised if it is easier to change than on VW 2.0T. I mean, something does have to give up. As long as they don;t like to grenade out of nowhere.
Yeah 18+ is the way to go IMO, all mechanical and safety improvements aside, it just looks so much better and more modern

OK. You guys know I am far from being a Toyota fan, but I have a ridiculous issue with Atlas.
I bought Atlas in January 2023, 15k, slightly used, SEL-Premium, all goodies inside, and an excellent Fender Audio system.
Mechanically? Excellent vehicle. Absolutely nothing went wrong in the 30k we made in a year and a half. The car has been to Tahoe, Yosemite, LA, San Francisco, Las Vegas (several times), Chicago, etc.
However, I am now replacing the fifth (5th!) windshield! I have no idea what is the deal with this car. Apparently, it is an issue, and last night, I found a crack across the windshield again. The last time I replaced the windshield was 04/29! I do have full glass coverage, but I came to the point where I am becoming paranoid driving it. I had BMW X5. Sienna, VW CC, VW Tiguan (still have it), here in CO (it is known for rocks on the road) and never had a cracked windshield: numerous chips but no cracks.
So, last night was the last straw; regardless that I really like this car, it is mechanically sound, I just don't want to come to a point where my insurance hikes up a premium or drops full coverage, and in the end,I don't want to do 5,000 miles road trip, have cracked, get a ticket, or worse glass shatters.
Honda Pilot (previous gen.)? Transmission issues, and worse, I really hate the seating position.
Nissan Armada (not entertaining Pathfinder. New is too small, old has CVT=over my dead body): Some issues, and worse, small inside for its outside dimensions. Actually, smaller than Atlas. However, still thinking about this one.

So, that leaves me thinking about Sequoia 2nd gen. I know mechanically, it is reliable, it does not have rust issues on the frame like the previous gen, the ABS module won't try to kill me like on GX470, and the suspension does not have ball joint issues that the older one had. It is big, has power, so it checks all boxes for us, has a real spare, locking diff. as we do go off-road, not to the point that we needed locking diff. and 4LO, but that might change.
So, those that have it? What are the drawbacks? I know it uses gas like M1 Abrams and then some. But, I use my BMW daily, so when I drive my family vehicle in town, I usually need to pick up something big or just do some exercise so the battery doesn't die. So, this would be a road trip car, skiing when taking kids (I use a BMW when skiing alone, which is 95% of my skiing time). What else is there to look for? I am paging @Astro14, as I know you have a Tundra, which, yeah, has a different rear axle, but the engine/transmission is the same.

Thanx guys.
You are going to pay dearly for that vehicle......

Crazy question- who did the windshield? Who made the glass? I was doing a windshield per year that any slight chip would crack. Safelite was doing them through insurance recommendation. On one trip to a new place due to personal schedule issues the shop had the Safelite glass and one from either PPG or LOF. The Safelite was cheaper and according to him was made from a copy of original for mold. The whole edge had little waves which he described as stress points and also was a bit thinner from what it appeared.

He used the PPG or LOF and it was one smooth arc. 2 years later I caught a rock, made a good impact chip, never cracked.

My '19 Pilot is on its 4th already I think with only 62k. Lots of construction around though and rocks/sand on highway.

Miss our '03 Sequoia all the time. The new '24 3rd row has less seating space than the grand highlander. It is truly horrible.

You could check out the newer Z71 Traverse as an option. More space than the Pilot.

Neighbor has a CX-90 that is very nice.

Hard to give up the room/space of the full size though. At the last car show, narrowed my comfort/space choices if needed replacement for Pilot to be Tahoe, Expedition, Atlas if new, quite possibly 18+ Sequoia like you if used. Too many personal and friends poor experience with the Stellantis products and their dealers/service to spend my money on them currently.

Crazy question- who did the windshield? Who made the glass? I was doing a windshield per year that any slight chip would crack. Safelite was doing them through insurance recommendation. On one trip to a new place due to personal schedule issues the shop had the Safelite glass and one from either PPG or LOF. The Safelite was cheaper and according to him was made from a copy of original for mold. The whole edge had little waves which he described as stress points and also was a bit thinner from what it appeared.

He used the PPG or LOF and it was one smooth arc. 2 years later I caught a rock, made a good impact chip, never cracked.

My '19 Pilot is on its 4th already I think with only 62k. Lots of construction around though and rocks/sand on highway.

Miss our '03 Sequoia all the time. The new '24 3rd row has less seating space than the grand highlander. It is truly horrible.

You could check out the newer Z71 Traverse as an option. More space than the Pilot.

Hard to give up the room/space of the full size though. At the last car show, narrowed my comfort/space choices if needed replacement for Pilot to be Tahoe, Expedition, Atlas if new, quite possibly 18+ Sequoia like you if used. Too many personal and friends poor experience with the Stellantis products and their dealers/service to spend my money on them currently.
My Son has an Atlas-with a cracked windshield. One of the first trips they made with it. It was slightly used when they bought-but very low miles.
Traverse is very popular around here.
Cracked windshields MAY BE a thing for this vehicle-

Thanx guys.
What is the cash price for a windshield? Also-the Armada is not a prime example of reliability .

I used America Glass twice and Safelite twice. I will try different company now just to do my due diligence. I really don’t want to get rid of Atlas. It is big, has all goodies.
We went today to check Sequoia and checked Grand Higlhalnder and Pilot. Pilot is close to Atlas inside. Maybe hust tid bit smaller second row and trunk. Grand Highlander has dramatically smaller second row, and seats are really small, same as Sienna I tried two years ago. It is a no go.
Sequoia has really good seats, folding mirrors are standard (big thing for me as my third car garage, that is long enough is only one door).
so, will try another company to see what happens. If it happens again, that is it. It is more like “hope dies last.”

Late model GX460? I'm by no means a Toyota fanatic, but for my use case of long road trips, ultimate reliability, and real off-roading chops, the GX460 is top of the class. The 4.6 V8 and Aisin A760F were in production for 14 model years; before I modded mine, I could hit 20-21 mpg on the freeway, usually 15ish in the city. A lot of them coming off-lease are soccer mom cars with 1/3 off the original selling price. Built in the same Tahara, Japan plant as the 4Runner and Land Cruiser, the chassis is the same as the 4Runner- but for whatever reason, it doesn't carry the 4Runner tax.

Also, I really like having full-time 4WD when going into winter conditions in the mountains.

IMG_5239.jpeg

IMG_2924.jpeg

Back