Another Jeep

Nice XJ. Very clean.

I have an older Grand Cherokee and absolutely love the thing. Owned her since 2009. Mild lift. Knobby tires. I get it.

Man I am so jealous you guys have such easy access to clean vehicles… most of the ones up here are missing floorboards.

I’d swap those headlights for some Holley Retrobrights in 3000k, but that’s just me 😉
IMG_0255.jpeg

In this financial climate and it being here in San Diego I didn't feel too bad about the deal. Most in this condition were $10k. Others in this price range were in terrible shape.
The way I look at older vehicles is this:

New vehicles like the one you have, with matched capabilities, start at 45k at least around me, if you can get a bottom barrel version. Your Xj for example is 23 years old and still on the road, likely going strong. Easy and cheap to fix, good power, relatively good gas mileage....it has lasted this long, why cant it last you another 20 years. It likely can. Sure with some repair, but the purchase of a new vehcile does not omit the chance of a repair, and at that, likely much more expensive than an old vehicle.

Even at 10k, still a killer deal, I would give you 10k right now, assuming everything was good.

Man I am so jealous you guys have such easy access to clean vehicles… most of the ones up here are missing floorboards.

I’d swap those headlights for some Holley Retrobrights in 3000k, but that’s just me 😉
View attachment 222630
I just put these LEDs in. The previous owner gave them to me. They are great. Very bright and yet they are setup right and don't blind oncoming traffic. When the brights are on they shine a hundred yards or so. Best LED setup I've seen for an XJ.

The way I look at older vehicles is this:

New vehicles like the one you have, with matched capabilities, start at 45k at least around me, if you can get a bottom barrel version. Your Xj for example is 23 years old and still on the road, likely going strong. Easy and cheap to fix, good power, relatively good gas mileage....it has lasted this long, why cant it last you another 20 years. It likely can. Sure with some repair, but the purchase of a new vehcile does not omit the chance of a repair, and at that, likely much more expensive than an old vehicle.

Even at 10k, still a killer deal, I would give you 10k right now, assuming everything was good.
You and I think alike. I could have gone out and financed some fancy new 4x4. But why? I happen to love these older ones just fine. They seem to hold up way better than the new stuff. Are just and capable and they have some soul to them. Plus it gives me something to play around with. I can modify it any way I want. Parts are dirt cheap too.

Those wheels really go together with that dark paint. A quality example of an era that appears to have been taken care of.

Nice choice in tires, and love the stock steelies.
They’re great tires except on pavement in the rain, which isn’t a thing here. It’s 3rd set of BFG All Terrains since my grandpa bought the Jeep in 2007. Will continue to only run them.

I like the wheels - I’m not an extreme tire shine fan …
Black satin is not bad …
I don't own any tire shine myself. That was the day I bought it. I like steel wheels for off-road. Maybe some Method Racing. These wheels were put on using spacers which I despise.

Reactions: 4WD
I don't own any tire shine myself. That was the day I bought it. I like steel wheels for off-road. Maybe some Method Racing. These wheels were put on using spacers which I despise.
I like aluminum wheels that can take a spectra choker as pictured - then hook to hi-lift at the sidewall …
My Rubicon is made to articulate and it’s difficult to raise without raising the axle - hard to do if stuck …

IMG_4976.jpeg

IMG_4971.jpeg

Those wheels really go together with that dark paint. A quality example of an era that appears to have been taken care of.
I like the wheels - I’m not an extreme tire shine fan …
Black satin is not bad …
Old school Jeep guys don't think 17" & 18" wheels look right on XJs and TJs. Plus it takes an adapter/spacer to make these later model wheels with 5x5 bolt pattern and different backspacing fit the older 5x4.5 bolt pattern.

I happen to agree with you on the wheels. Not a fan myself. When I put new rubber on it I will go 15".
What size tires will fit the lift, 32s or 33s?

Old school Jeep guys don't think 17" & 18" wheels look right on XJs and TJs. Plus it takes an adapter/spacer to make these later model wheels with 5x5 bolt pattern and different backspacing fit the older 5x4.5 bolt pattern.

What size tires will fit the lift, 32s or 33s?
I think 33s will fit. They might scrub a little at the extremes. These are 32s. 33s on 15" wheels would be ideal for me. I don't do any serious off-roading anymore. Mostly trail riding. I was an avid off-roader for many years but I'm getting a little older now. 61 years old and Ive slowed down a bit. On the trails anyway.

I owned 3 XJs, a 1990 and two 2000s. I also had two friends with XJs. All went to well over 200k even in the salty New England climate. The biggest weak point is the cooling system. Definitely flush it out and make sure it is clean, the XJ cooling system is barely adequate even when it is functioning 100%, so any gunk in the system will immediately impact its performance.

I installed a coolant filter on my TJ Wrangler after noticing it made quite a difference in a few XJs in my circle.

Back