2024 Tucson SEL 2.5Theta lll / Convience Pkg / FWD ( 8spdA/T)

Wifes 2013 Elantra 1.8 recently got Totaled (while we were in it) by someone distracted by their phone. Took out the entire driver's side.
Luckily it was a 25mph road. It had 130K mi. on it and was well cared for. Looked pristine. I know it had another 130K left.
I hadn't paid any attention to Hyundai since 2013. So all of this engine / carbon build-up / piston slapping / dilution stuff got away from me.

She wanted a New Tucson so we both looked at it / drove it / liked it and will most likely get it soon.

*Given the fact that I helped her dodge most of the possible bullets with the selection of this new one . . . I could have made the mistake
of choosing the AWD and the Tubo so I assume my chances are good.???*
There are worse out there ( 3cyl turbo ). Everything has hand grenades just waiting for a poor decision to destroy it all.
I have read that this new 2.5 theta gen. lll is partially throttle body injection. IDK . . . Don't hear any other really bad stuff about it. Still researching.
One thing I don't like so far is the inboard type oil filter in this engine. I had an old Pont. Grand Am like that . . . just hated them. Pain in the . . .
Wish there was a screw-on I could use instead. I know the dealership would love that . . .
I have been a stalker of this forum for at least 20yrs and read a lot just to learn the basics of what I needed to know and I greatly appreciate that.
Many Thanks To ALL

Good Luck and I think my chances are better than 50/50.

As long as all are happy that's what matters and hopefully it treats you well.

Maybe because of where I live and what I do, I would have no reason to want a FWD SUV.

It has 8 injectors, 4 MPI, and 4 GDI. The oil filter is under the car, at the front, and it's a canister type, but inverted. Just don't tighten it over 18 ft-lb, and you'll be fine. Not the most pleasant experience to change the oil on one of these, for sure.

If you haven't bought the vehicle yet, I'd honestly look at a Jeep Grand Cherokee GC Laredo 4x4, or Toyota Highlander. It might be more money, but it's not a Hyundai. The Tucson is not a great platforum, and it's no Santa Fe, for sure. If you can find a 2024 Santa Fe with the same engine, I would go for that. Good luck!

I’m not sure Hyundai has proved the current 4-cylinders to be reliable yet.

Since you haven’t paid attention to Hyundai since 2013, I’ll assume you don’t know about the engine recalls? They grenade left and right, 4 cylinder models from 2011+. Mostly Theta II engines. I’m a Hyundai fan (have 2 of them) but I wouldn’t touch a 4-cylinder with a 10 foot pole.

Sequoiasoon - Thanks. That's what she wanted so that's what we got.

Invisible - The wife wanted something small for going in town for work
but with enough room to go shopping with and she liked the looks & ride.

Nick1994 - Too late. I didn't have 1 problem with her 13 Elantra LTD 1.8
No water pump, alternator, valve tapping . . . hardly nothing. Did do the the plastic cog in the steering column.
Just a battery, spark plugs, K&N Air Filter, brakes, tires, light bulbs and frequent M1 Oil changes with OEM Filters
and keep the MAF & Throttle Body clean. No complaints. I didn't get 40mpg but I got close.

Even though I took my eye off the ball for 10 years I don't think I'm in bad shape (yet) and need to worry (yet) but . . . I'll keep a close eye on it.

Just got done doing the Invisible Bra kit on the Tucson Front End Lights . . . 16 of them (10 are DRLs).
I always do that when they're new. That 12 year old Elantra had perfectly clear lenses when it was totaled.
We have a lot of deer in the area.

I worked a brief time selling Hyundai at that dealership back in 2007. I did 7cars in 7 wks. That was enough . . . See ya!
I worked back then with the guy that just sold me the Tucson and we were talking about their service dept.
He said if they catch you even changing your own oil or getting it done by your long time and certified mechanic
they will void your warranty . . . Someone needs to find a way to get that in writing.

I know . . . I know about the magnuson-moss warranty act but to even make that threat is insane.
That is partly why I will never let any dealership touch my car . . . for good reason.

Hope I didn't ramble on too much?
Thanks . . . You Guys are the Best

Back