Calcium vs Magnesium vs Zinc in Engine Oils - Lake Speed Jr

Lake is well versed in long drain intervals as well. He's not just some guy locked in the racing world. Racing is his forte, but he has a good bit of fleet data as well, including their own team haulers. He is correct in that TBN is a bit of a dinosaur. It's still good data to have, but monitoring oil oxidation number is a better indicator, along with soot, dilution, and so on. You just have to look at the big picture rather than just one parameter.
He said no bit of, it was "TBN is a dinosaur. A relic of the past" I take comments like that as saying no longer useful or meaningful.

I'm sure that the guy probably has a wealth of knowledge but even knowledgeable people can be incorrect sometimes. TBN is still a limited but useful measurement. However, There are other tools that have come about as well that are better suited & that is why I brought TAN into this discussion.

The most common causes for a TBN drop are oil oxidation and low-quality fuel with high levels of sulfur. He argues that since we don't have high sulfur fuel then TBN is dead. As you can see there are more reasons for TBN depletion, & not just fuel, oxidation being one of them. Oxidation being one of the most important aspects of TBN being completely thrown out the window by this guy.

TBN is not dead yet period.

Ah, If we only watched one youtuber to get all of our oil information as 100% fact...........................

This was based on one study conducted by Chevron which they kinda skewed and used as more of a marketing tool than anything. Other studies have been done that shows no correlation between TBN and TAN to engine wear. It's because of how the two tests are performed and the acid and base used for titration. So long as the oil has base, it can still neutralize acids and effectively prevent corrosion.

This argues for sending the oil companies your used oil to have it tested. Chevron testing chevron oil, Mobil testing Mobil oil, etc. Scheaffer's testing Scheaffer's oil. That way there is more consistency in the results but that would mean sticking with the same oil & the same oil company testing it.
Basically, The oil companies are going to know their own oil the best & perhaps that is why there has been shown no correlation between TAN/TBN throwing off the results.

TAN is the latest tool that goes beyond TBN alone & that is why I brought it up.

Last edited:
TAN is the latest tool that goes beyond TBN alone & that is why I brought it up. This is a fact.

If you're concerned about acids or the quality of the fuel, it would be wise to consider TAN + i-pH levels.
When it comes to TBN, there are two primary titration methods. For used oil, a cost-effective and straightforward but rude method is employed, which may not detect weak bases.

This argues for sending the oil companies your used oil to have it tested. Chevron testing chevron oil, Mobil testing Mobil oil, etc. Scheaffer's testing Scheaffer's oil. That way there is more consistency in the results but that would mean sticking with the same oil & the same oil company testing it. Basically, The oil companies are going to know their own oil the best & perhaps that is why there has been shown no correlation between TAN/TBN throwing off the results.
No it argues for utilizing the same ASTM test so the results are comparable within the repeatability and reproducibility tolerance.

Knowing your own oil and having the same company testing it doesn't ensure accuracy, and here they are different tests altogether. If it really depended on knowing your oil and having the same company test it then that's a pretty good argument against the lab.

Last edited:
If you're concerned about acids or the quality of the fuel, it would be wise to consider TAN + i-pH levels.
When it comes to TBN, there are two primary titration methods. For used oil, a cost-effective and straightforward but rude method is employed, which may not detect weak bases.
I have x3 oil test kits that I can select either TBN or TAN. I might send off a virgin sample for TAN, test TBN one time, then TAN the next & see what numbers I get. However, I've got a while to do that since I have another oil inline to use first.

Back