C3 oil instead of A3/b4 in volvo D3 diesel?

hello my friends! My girlfriend has an volvo d3 2014 D3 with DPF that calls for a thin a5/b5 oil with high ash/saps.. Are there any risks with running a c3 oil instead? I have been running one service interval (30000km/18500miles) on ESP 5w30 C3 (low saps) before with no problem, now im on 5w30 A5/b5 again and on shorter service intervals (15000km / 9000miles). We have more cars and a C3 oil would be nice to run in the volvo cuz then I can have the same oil in more cars.
Why is volvo running high saps oils with DPF when almost every other car-manufacturer strictly use C3/low saps oils? I dont think volvo is over-represented in DPF/EGR problems ither..
does anyone here run their volvo 5cyl diesels with dpf on 5w30 C3 oils? or even 5w40 c3?
best regards!

Dpfs were around before the low saps oils came along, they all ran full saps back then. IMO low-saps was a solution in search of a problem...

A5/B5 is not a low ash/SAP oil. That would be A3/B4. C3 is a mid SAP oil.
Your choice but with DPF I would stay with a low SAP oil.

I fully agree on ka9mnx. C3 is actually rather as existing as DPFs in passenger cars.
C3 isn't any issue at all and far from being 'a solution in search of a problem'.
I'd just run that Volvo Diesel with a proper C3 like M1 ESP 5W-30. It's excellent.

Volvo fitted enormous DPFs and specified A5/B5, bucking the trend of the time for smaller DPFs and C3. They have since launched their own mid-SAPS spec for the newer VEA/'Drive-E' engine range.

thanks all! I wil lbe buying a C3 or A3/B4 oil from now then i think.. The A5/B5 is so thin o_O I guess an full saps A3/b4 dont destroy her DPF faster than an full saps A5/b5.

thanks all! I wil lbe buying a C3 or A3/B4 oil from now then i think.. The A5/B5 is so thin o_O I guess an full saps A3/b4 dont destroy her DPF faster than an full saps A5/b5.
SAPS is approximately the same for A3/B4 as for A5/B5, the main difference is the HTHS. A5/B5 does also have a tougher limit on biodiesel-induced oxidation resistance.

Hi I’m new here and I just wanted to ask your opinions (although there are a couple of threads that cover this topic ) what are your thoughts on using shell helix ultra 0w30 vw oil 504 507 in my Volvo d5 euro 5 engine? Or even the rimula r6 lime that I currently use in my old Peugeot xud9te engine which it loves,I’ve always liked the heavy duty oils as we used rimula oil in all our tractors on the farm, or is an A5B5 or A4B4 better it’s strange that Volvo right through to even euro 6 engines still stick to a low saps A5B5 oil many thanks

Hi I’m new here and I just wanted to ask your opinions (although there are a couple of threads that cover this topic ) what are your thoughts on using shell helix ultra 0w30 vw oil 504 507 in my Volvo d5 euro 5 engine? Or even the rimula r6 lime that I currently use in my old Peugeot xud9te engine which it loves,I’ve always liked the heavy duty oils as we used rimula oil in all our tractors on the farm, or is an A5B5 or A4B4 better it’s strange that Volvo right through to even euro 6 engines still stick to a low saps A5B5 oil many thanks
the D5 engine with A5 oil will outlive you, one off my friends have 700k km with that engine, running on A5 oil

Thank you so much that’s put my mind at ease as there must be proof in the pudding -Volvo wouldn’t recommend an oil like that without good reason I was just concerned about the dpf but it seems that the durability and excellent quality of that oil under extremes are more of a priority than the dpf cleaning -that a c3 oil is maybe more suited or catered for,would you say that the Mobil 1 esp lv 0w30 a good choice as it is A5B5 and c2 ?

Well that shell helix is Porsche c30 and vw 504 507 acea c3 which would be handy if I could use that as the two pd golf mk4 tdi that we also have that have done 280k take the same oil,so is a c3 oil going to still look after the engine protection wise as A5/B5 do you think it’s a minefield out there and I can get 10 litre of shell helix for £50

Well that shell helix is Porsche c30 and vw 504 507 acea c3 which would be handy if I could use that as the two pd golf mk4 tdi that we also have that have done 280k take the same oil,so is a c3 oil going to still look after the engine protection wise as A5/B5 do you think it’s a minefield out there and I can get 10 litre of shell helix for £50
C3 is gives better protection then C1/C2 in this case, in my opinion.
Porsche C30 is fine, but why not C40? :giggle:

Last edited:
Back