Buying An Oil Extractor Pump

no it says gear oil is to vicious.. that means its a fuel transfer pump mostly.

you should get a mityvac style or knockoff
similar to

also some vehicles work GREAT with oil extractor and some are worthless.
for example subaru the dipstick angle is bad and you wont get much more than half the oil out.

others are a straight shot and leave maybe a couple ounces.

I have two just like that one. Bought on Amazon also, were ~$20 then. They work well and I have used them several times w/o any issues. While they do keep an oil change relatively simple they are not a panacea for the conventional method of servicing the engine from underneath. They are better for doing fluid exchanges on CVT and transmissions where getting every drop out is not feasible or necessary.

My observations;

Despite being uber convenient they can still be messy. The hoses will reguritate dirty oil on you and everything else no matter how careful you are when finished.

Works better on some vehicles than others probably due to the design of the oil pans.

Imperative to siphon out the oil on a level surface because you don't won't have the aid of gravity to get all the oil out like conventional methods.

I wouldn't buy it after looking at the 1 and 2 star reviews. The pump appears to be weak and slow.

I wouldn't buy it after looking at the 1 and 2 star reviews. The pump appears to be weak and slow.
yea the guy who said it took 90min for cold 10w40....
and a few that said it died after using it a few times.

It's cheap enough to try. You could dedicate a 5gal pail w/ lid or some type of storage container to store the whole deal in when not in use. Any of them are going to drizzle used oil everywhere if not careful.

I've only used the vacuum operated ones. I have a small Trac brand oil extractor that I use when necessary. It's great for emptying OPE gas tanks, etc.

For oil, you can also make your own with a 5gal pail w/lid. Drill one hole in the lid for your shop vac suction hose to hold on to and another hole to snugly fit the extraction hose.

I used to be a naysayer to extractors. Only a big whossy would use such a thing. I musta got a wild hair and bought a MityVac.
I love my MityVac. 5K oil changes are a snap (filter every 2nd or 3rd service). trans, master cylinders and power steering flushes through the return line.

I'm in the market and have been looking at extractors, but full-sized units and not merely pumps.

I don't have any expectation that any of them are necessarily much better built than another, and expect failure at some point.

But at least with something like a Mityvac, parts can be had, so repairs are possible, even if they might not turn out to be economically feasible, but the option is at least there, compared to some no-name on Bezosland that will be rendered junk if something breaks.

So, I've been leaning toward them, and of course, the price has gone up in the time doing the shopping.

I am going to try the Amazon one out. It is so inexpensive that I can keep a spare on hand, if it performs satisfactorily.

I want to pump the oil directly into the waste oil container, so the vacuum operated ones will not work.

I am going to try the Amazon one out. It is so inexpensive that I can keep a spare on hand, if it performs satisfactorily.

I want to pump the oil directly into the waste oil container, so the vacuum operated ones will not work.
Flip the flow direction switch and empty into recycle container.
1667758020703.png

First time ever, have always pulled the drain plug.

This one is inexpensive and has good reviews. Will it work?

You ask 2 questions.

Will it physically work on your particular vehicle or device -
You dont know what an extractor will work on until you try. It doesn't work on a small number of devices - a running list would be awesome.

Is that model worth buying?
Cant say, what I would say is if you buy the brand mityvac you'll probably be happy a long time.

What I can say is the device saves me a tremendous amount of time and has been worth every penny.

To add to @UncleDave post, you can do an oil change in your Sunday best. It's a joke it's so easy.
No floor jack and stands, no drain pan, no wrenches, no belly pan. Barely even need rags. No freakin' mess!
Sometimes we put off an oil change till the weekend or whenever, because we don't have time or don't wanna get dirty. By the time you made that decision you could be done if you used your MityVac.

That's my experience.

Back