Oil Extractor - problems with Subaru Forester?

Fumotos are really meant for stationary motors, it's way too easy to get it open by snagging something with a moving platform.

While I plan for a Stahlbus because of its lower profile, it seems the Fumoto fits well and there is no issue with the swivel plastic tray. So if its closed properly and locked with the tab, then there isn't a way to snag it open. Ofcourse, if something does break the plastic tray, then its possible. However, its also highly likely then it would cause other damage.

I had it on an Accord (which has a lower clearance) and drove it for over 100K miles over city roads/highways and dirt roads. There was never an issue, however, I was also extra careful and drove slowly when going off the roads.

I did on my grand niece's '13 Civic LX. Worked great. Of course cleaning the magnetic drain plug is part of the service, so there's that. But I have found after the 1st service the plug does not capture that much.

I think I tried the TSX, it did not work as well. But heck, even a 2 quart spill and fill in is an easy service.
In my experience, a transmission service is hit had miss with the MityVac. I will have to try more...
When I flush brakes, the MityVac does a great job of emptying the master reservoir.

Perhaps my favorite part of using a MityVac is expelling the old fluid into a recycle milk jug. Just flip the switch to reverse the flow. So easy and mess free!

Did you ever feel the dipstick would be damaged when pushing the extractor tube?

I'm doing the brakes in a few weeks, and to be honest, I look forward to easier coordination.

The Lumax has a pneumatic as well as manual pump, which I really liked. However, it doesn't seem to have the expeller feature. However, it was easier to drain into the 5 qt oil bottles than it was with drain pans. :)

Did you ever feel the dipstick would be damaged when pushing the extractor tube?

I'm doing the brakes in a few weeks, and to be honest, I look forward to easier coordination.

The Lumax has a pneumatic as well as manual pump, which I really liked. However, it doesn't seem to have the expeller feature. However, it was easier to drain into the 5 qt oil bottles than it was with drain pans. :)
The dipstick tube is not going to be damaged by the plastic tube.
Personally, I would not consider an extract only (1 way) fluid extractor. The MityVac is the best of the bunch.
You will get the hang of it and make good use of it. I love my MityVac.

As any owner and they will tell you the same.

I used an extractor on my 2018 FB25 Outback every OCI and got out 5 quarts. I also used it on my friends 2019 Outback without a problem. The only car I couldn’t use it on was 2017 Chevy Spark with the 1.4L.

Fumotos are really meant for stationary motors, it's way too easy to get it open by snagging something with a moving platform.
I disagree. I had one on Forester and Crosstrek. In both case it does not stick below the engine protection cover. It's up in a little recess. You can always add the plastic clip that makes it difficult or impossible to open the Fumoto valve by accident.

I don’t have the 17 forester anymore, but I used an extractor on it for oil changes and it got all the oil out just fine. Not sure the difference with yours.
I wonder if the later model FB25’s are different. I tried extracting an earlier model FB25 and was unable to get more than a quart out.

To be honest, I have never been a huge fan of topside oil changes. I think they give DIYers an excuse to not perform a proper safety inspection of the vehicle- which is something that should be done at every maintenance interval.
In my case, I still have to crawl under for the filter change. Which gives me inspection access. It mainly saves the splatter and mess of racing the drain plug to getting the oil in the drain pan, and making a general mess.

I wonder if the later model FB25’s are different. I tried extracting an earlier model FB25 and was unable to get more than a quart out.
That was my only experience with the Subarus. Most vehicles I’ve used it on seem to get the oil out, but there have been a couple that didn’t want to cooperate for some reason. Sure nice on an auto trans though without drain plug to suck out almost all the fluid before dropping the pan!

I have had terrible luck getting more than a couple quarts out of my wife's '17 Forester with several different extractors.

Back