Buicks as limos

Just finished watching the 3rd season of Jack Ryan on Amazon. Takes place in Europe. All the official cars and limos are Buicks. I found that very strange. Russia was the only country that didn't use Buicks.

I remember Mulder driving a Mustang Cobra and Scully driving an Oldsmobile Gutless during Season 1 of The X-Files.. Later on they often drove more realistically a Taurus.

Just finished watching the 3rd season of Jack Ryan on Amazon. Takes place in Europe. All the official cars and limos are Buicks. I found that very strange. Russia was the only country that didn't use Buicks.

They're not Buick, they're Skoda.

This makes complete sense for Czech officials and police to use them as limos because Skoda's HQ is in the Czech Republic (though Skoda is owned by VW).

The cars in the show are Skoda Superb, which is on the VW MQB platform, shared with the VW Passat and others.

They're not Buick, they're Skoda.

This makes complete sense for Czech officials and police to use them as limos because Skoda's HQ is in the Czech Republic (though Skoda is owned by VW).

The cars in the show are Skoda Superb, which is on the VW MQB platform, shared with the VW Passat and others.
It sure looked like the Buick emblem on the trunks of those cars.

Buick:
buick-logos-1.jpg

Skoda:
DeW28J-UQAAbWgj.jpg

Excuse the photo of my monitor. It’s really difficult to grab a screen cap of streaming content.

Anyway, the Skoda Superb from the show:
12CF978D-4F37-4F41-968E-3C5F9C768111.jpeg

I'm an old-time Tom Clancy fan. Read all the main-line books up until he passed. I didn't like the last few Mark Greaney collaborations before Clancy died, so I never pursued after that.

The Jack Ryan series is alright. I always like the Clancy novels because it was really rooted around spy-craft. That comes across really dry on film, especially for a multi-episode series. You need people to shoot and things to blow up. It's certainly a lot better than the Without Remorse adaptation that Amazon did. That was an obvious springboard for more John Clark content and ended up just being clunky.

I do like that Jack Ryan was filmed on-location in the Czech Republic and there are little things here and there that show the producers were paying attention. The inclusion of Skoda as the vehicle for officials and police (I'm sure BMW and/or Mercedes Benz would have gladly filled those roles with product placement), but also little things like Mike saying, "I'd rather see the bottom of a pilsner."

It sure looked like the Buick emblem on the trunks of those cars.
Some eastern bloc countries notably when it was East Germany routinely had Buicks and Cadillacs imported for high ranking officials even though they badmouthed the usa and the west.

Back