BRAND LOYALTY OVER REASON?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adaptive Cardboard Molecules!
28.gif

Nope-never use those "company" filter if I use their oil.

I'm sticking with oem AC Delcos for now....

If I do use amsoil though, I might use one of their filter, because I've heard great things about them....

Royal Purple not only has a cool purple bottle, but the oil is too for an hour! Woohoo! *sarcasm* Brand loyalty is the ONLY reason for your average "knowledgeable" guy's choice, other people choose based on commercials and pretty bottles

Nope, I use M1 but I will never pay what they want for their filters. I use OEM, as a rule, which are cheap and correct.

I was brand loyal to an oil company until they weren't loyal to me. Poor attitude when it was time to answer questions was it for me. I used their filters too, but did switch around from time to time. JMO

Since I stopped using the orange can back around 2002 or so Ive been using OEM Oil filters with whichever oil I ran in whichever vehicle...

Using OEM oil filters because they are the best for my application with a quality inexpensive syn like PP. No brand loyalty, other than lovin' my PP stash at the moment.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
If Wix made motor oil, I'll be all over it!

Sorry, I'm a Wix fan.

I've switched oils a few times (M1, PP, MC blend), but I ALWAYS use a Wix filter.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Good thing Fram doesn't make motor oil.

LOL. While I would never use a Fram filter, I think their idea of having the top half of the filter covered (hopefully only on the outside) with the sandy epoxy grip stuff is very useful. One of the other brands has a big nut tack welded on the top for easier removal, though I can't remember who does it.

I'm with Stevie on this one, I am only loyal to my pocketbook, and will buy stuff on how it performs and not who made it. I couldn't care less about the company that makes the product, as I know for a fact that they don't give a rat's a$$ about me, they only care about getting my money.

I think people that worry about which brand of clothes they ware, which brand of car they drive or, like the OP question if their oil brand matches the filter brand, have a very poor self esteem and just want to "fit in", when in fact they just become the "sheep" and are easily steered by TV and advertisments.

....OK, I'm off to buy this hot new Blackberry, as the one I bought last year is CHHHRAP..... (just kidding
grin2.gif
)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
Yo! Guys! My point was using BOTH the oil and the filter with the same name on each - only because they carry the same name.
28.gif

I run Royal Purple fluids and now I use RP filters. Yes, I am brand loyal WHEN the product is worth it. I checked out the Royal Purple filters when I heard about them because I used the fluids that is true. However, if they turned out to be Fram filters with the RP name I would not have used them.

I use a specific brand because it has proven to be a quality company making quality components. If you have a company like RP, Amsoil, Mobil 1, etc... that makes a quality oil why would you not at least check into the filters if they also offer those? Chances are they will be as good as the oil. In the case of these 3 oils it is true anyway. Good oils and good filters.

I do think you are right though in that there are people out there that would use a filter just because it had the same name as the oil they used and would not care if it was a good one or not. At one time anyway( still the same? )you had Penzoil and Quaker State filters being made by Fram. Now there is a classic case of what you are talking about. Good oil and absolutely horrendously lousy filters. God help the automotive world if Fram ever starts offering oil.
33.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Familyguy
One of the other brands has a big nut tack welded on the top for easier removal, though I can't remember who does it.

K&N.

I do like the ergonomics of Fram oil filters but you guys showed me the way.
Now, I'm partially loyal to M1/M1. I say "partially" because right now, I'm running a Bosch filter with M1 EP.
AZ had a package sale before the M1/M1 sale.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
Yo! Guys! My point was using BOTH the oil and the filter with the same name on each - only because they carry the same name.
28.gif

I run Royal Purple fluids and now I use RP filters. Yes, I am brand loyal WHEN the product is worth it. I checked out the Royal Purple filters when I heard about them because I used the fluids that is true. However, if they turned out to be Fram filters with the RP name I would not have used them.

I use a specific brand because it has proven to be a quality company making quality components. If you have a company like RP, Amsoil, Mobil 1, etc... that makes a quality oil why would you not at least check into the filters if they also offer those? Chances are they will be as good as the oil. In the case of these 3 oils it is true anyway. Good oils and good filters.

I do think you are right though in that there are people out there that would use a filter just because it had the same name as the oil they used and would not care if it was a good one or not. At one time anyway( still the same? )you had Penzoil and Quaker State filters being made by Fram. Now there is a classic case of what you are talking about. Good oil and absolutely horrendously lousy filters. God help the automotive world if Fram ever starts offering oil.
33.gif

Pennzoil and Quaker State filters are now made by Purolator.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

Pennzoil and Quaker State filters are now made by Purolator.

I was under the impression that Purolator oil filters were actually made by Champion Labs. No?

Not at all, I'm currently using Esso XD-3 full synthetic oil and Napa Gold filters, but once the 2 gallons of XD-3 are done I'll re-evaluate that choice, and I've already discovered just in the past week that I can get Wix for a bit cheaper than Napa Gold, and also ran across a filter cut-open thread.. somewhere, that seemed to show that Purolator's were a better filter, so I'll be going with that next time.

Originally Posted By: DizzyEdge
Not at all, I'm currently using Esso XD-3 full synthetic oil and Napa Gold filters, but once the 2 gallons of XD-3 are done I'll re-evaluate that choice, and I've already discovered just in the past week that I can get Wix for a bit cheaper than Napa Gold, and also ran across a filter cut-open thread.. somewhere, that seemed to show that Purolator's were a better filter, so I'll be going with that next time.

I can get Napa Gold filters for about $6/unit at my local Napa. How much cheaper are you able to get a Wix filter? When I checked, they were about the same price (which makes sense since they're both Wix filters) and then I could just waddle over to Napa and buy them one at a time instead of buying a case and paying shipping costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back