Are you brand loyal?

I used to be a loyal M1 user until I came here years ago. Now its whatever is on sale/clearance that meets the weight and D1G2 spec.
My sons Cobalt just tipped 225k using "whatevers on sale" oils

br10w40.JPG

I wanted to be brand loyal, but kept trying and using various oils until I decided that since I'm running 5k OCI I will just use cheap(ish) oils that meet spec. Currently have Kirkland 0w-20 in the sump.

When I've had Ford vehicles, I've used Motorcraft filters and oil. When I've had GM or the one Chrysler, I've used Valvoline oil and either AC Delco filters or the Mopar filter. I don't know if that's brand loyalty (maybe with the Valvoline) but I figure if the factory uses it, it's probably good enough for moi.
Every car I've had had eclipsed 200k miles before I've gotten rid of it and was running (except the Chrysler - broken timing belt ruined a lot of stuff) and so I'm gonna stick with that plan.

Not really brand loyal, but Quaker State is my favorite brand. I’ve used it for years in various Hyundai’s without any issue.

But I like trying different oil in my Kia GDI. So far I’ve used QSFS, Valvoline Extended Protection, Mobil 1, and PP. All were on sale and some from the Walmart pricing mixups last year.

I do short OCIs so as long as it meets the specs for my engine it comes down to price, price and price.

i want to be loyal, but i c'ant find any ravenol dgx 5w30 anywhere. i managed to get 6 liters in march, but now nowhere to be found. blauparts is constantly out of stock. and i am not going back to any of the major brands and i d'ont care for amsoil nor redline.

I do short OCIs so as long as it meets the specs for my engine it comes down to price, price and price.
Over the past 14 years, we have owned about a dozen Hyundais. Their engines don't have any accurate lubrication "specs." Suppose you go out and look up owner's manuals for various Hyundai models in European countries, Asia, and the Middle East. In that case, you will notice that they allow for a myriad of viscosities for the same engines that they sell in North America. A couple of years ago, in all their repair manuals for all engines except hybrid powertrains, Hyundai listed a viscosity chart ranging from 0/5W-20 up to 20W-50. To whit, they categorically forbid the use of 0/5W-20 in Middle Eastern countries.

And I repeat, Hyundai does not have an OEM approval process for lubricants. Not even for their SP-IV/SP-IV-M/SP-IV-RR transmission fluids, which are nothing more than Dexron VI/Mercon LV type fluids.

Consequently, in your opinion, what do you think that "meets the spec" means when it comes to Hyundai engines?

Once I find a product I like, I generally stick with it. The VW gets OE 508.00 exclusively, and for the first 7 years of my Accord ownership I used Pennzoil Platinum exclusively. Only recently did I switch over to Mobil 1 for it, and will likely stick with Mobil 1 for the rest of my ownership.

Over the past 14 years, we have owned about a dozen Hyundais. Their engines don't have any accurate lubrication "specs." Suppose you go out and look up owner's manuals for various Hyundai models in European countries, Asia, and the Middle East. In that case, you will notice that they allow for a myriad of viscosities for the same engines that they sell in North America. A couple of years ago, in all their repair manuals for all engines except hybrid powertrains, Hyundai listed a viscosity chart ranging from 0/5W-20 up to 20W-50. To whit, they categorically forbid the use of 0/5W-20 in Middle Eastern countries.

And I repeat, Hyundai does not have an OEM approval process for lubricants. Not even for their SP-IV/SP-IV-M/SP-IV-RR transmission fluids, which are nothing more than Dexron VI/Mercon LV type fluids.

Consequently, in your opinion, what do you think that "meets the spec" means when it comes to Hyundai engines?
I meant 5w20, 5w30, or 10w30 which is listed in the US owners manual. I’m aware there isn’t any “specs”. Maybe I should have phrased it differently?

"0w30" German Castrol won me over years ago and I still like the brand.

In the quest for a phenomenal oil for my motorcycles that isn't $16 a quart, Rotella has won me over.

Suppose I will always be a Yellow Bottle fan as well.

Never been much of a fan of.... Mobil, Valvoline, Quaker State, Chevron or Motorcraft.

I meant 5w20, 5w30, or 10w30 which is listed in the US owners manual. I’m aware there isn’t any “specs”. Maybe I should have phrased it differently?
Oh no, you phrased it right, and I wasn't trying to be a smart ... you know what ;) I was just honestly trying to gauge what you thought was the spec for your vehicle's engine, while at the same time trying to inform you that Hyundai did a poor job at clearly defining for owners what works best in their engines. They could have certainly done a better job IMHO while avoiding engine problems due to the deadly mix of low viscosity oil and fuel dilution. Lately, or starting with the 2021 model years, they started "enforcing" stricter viscosities, even in their repair manuals. And good God, are their service/repair manuals terrible, and borderline useless. I regretted spending $40 for a week of access to their database when I replaced the transmission fluid in our Santa Fe SUVs, as I didn't learn anything from there.

I used to be 100% brand loyal to Mobil 1 having used it since the early 1980's. I still use it most of the time but as the years rolled on and all oils got better I find myself using Supertech Syn, QS Syn and Valvoline HM Syn as well - depending on use. My shop uses ST Syn in most oil changes unless a special spec is needed like BMW etc or customer preference. I stock Supertech, Mobil 1, Mobil 1 European, Mobil 1 EP, Valvoline Maxlife and QS syn for customer choice as well. All my lawn equipment is fed Mobil 1 EP 10W/30 and my Harleys use Mobil 1 V-Twin.

For our three Ford vehicles, we just use Motorcraft oil and filters. For the rest of my chevy cars and trucks I've been using Phillips 66 shield and Castrol HM for the 98 chevy truck with the 454 that has an oil leak.

Anybody loyal to one brand? In person I claim to not be brand loyal but I'm secretly loyal to Castrol. We own a 2019 KTM exc-f 500 that I've secretly used supertech cf2 in 400 hrs. Internals near perfect with that "Wrong" oil. We did a top end rebuild last week. Vehicles,tractor get the "Best" but honestly I think the loyalty thing when knowing what we know about lubricants is kinda like when u perfer a sports team; Not necessarily that you actually believe "YOUR" lube is any better than the next guys.
nope. mostly use t4 shell and mobil 1.

Back