BRAND LOYALTY OVER REASON?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll pick up any brand I think is a good deal and is a useful product. I have some oil stashed from almost every brand, even a jug of RP 15w-40 that was give-away priced. No one oil appeals more or less just on the brand on the label.

I think "brand loyalty" implies a degree of closed-mindedness and defensiveness of that brand, to the exclusion of new information on the subject. It's quite entertaining to observe, since many here are SO deeply entrenched in their "beliefs". Almost comical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-purchase_rationalization

Post-purchase rationalization is a common phenomenon after people have invested significant time, money, or effort in something to convince themselves that it must have been worth it. Many decisions are made emotionally, and so are often rationalized retrospectively in an attempt to justify the choice.[1]

This rationalization is based on the principle of commitment and the psychological desire to stay consistent to that commitment. Some authorities would also consider this rationalization a manifestation of cognitive dissonance.

The brand is the LAST thing I consider when choosing an oil. In fact, I don't consider it at all. The only things I consider are
1. viscosity
2. type (conventional, syn, syn blend) --only full syn for me
3. Price -whatever is cheapest

Whichever oil meets the criteria is the one I buy.

No brand loyalty whatsoever here. I use different oil every oil change to keep from getting bored :^P

as someone commented recently, wal mart may not know oil but they know cheap and same goes with me

I live in southern indiana, and i must say that here, brand loyality is more american than apple pie. as for me, i dont buy "whatever" is on sale, rather I buy in bulk when my preferred brand is on sale. Otherwise why not just have three jugs, one saying conventional, one saying blend, and one saying synthetic? so yes brand loyality here

Last edited:
Makes sense.

Like people who still use Mobil 1 after the Seq IVA debacle.

Brand loyalty is important, like Quaker State vs Pennzoil vs Formula Shell.

How about Motorcraft vs Kendall vs Trop Arctic vs 76 vs Phillips 66 vs Proline?

Brand loyalty IS important and totally rational, much more important than proper viscosity.

smirk2.gif

audiejunkie, prehaps i shouldnt say this but all you find in drive/garage is ford/mazda. and in your motorcraft vs kendall comment.......i only found that out recently, being in indiana im behind times i guess. Long story short, i dropped motorcraft (only used in wifes car/warranty) IMMEDIATELY!

i have a 6, wich is just as much ford as a fusion, like a tribute to an escape, a b4000 to a ranger,need more? um who knows what there audi buddy

Last edited:
Used M1 for 9 yrs but will bounce around now to any good
synth on sale. (so long as the sale does not include an
orange Fram filter)
27.gif

My dad always told me to start with one brand of oil and stay with it. Not so important today as much of the oil is all the same. I use whatever is on sale or best price

I have always preferred Havoline dino and Purolator filters. I consider them a good balance of quality, price, and availability. That said I wouldn't hesitate to use other good brands if the price is right.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Hey, I'm loyal to Ford, that's why I buy Mazda.
crackmeup2.gif

I think Ford sold most (all?) of their shares back to Mazda now though. But as a Mazda owner (09 Speed 3) I see FoMoCo everywhere under the hood! So you're probably still helping Ford! lol

Except when they switch with PP, Edge, Amsoil, Quaker State, Motorcraft, Mobil clean 5000, PYB, GTX, Havoline, SuperTech, Honda, Toyota, Syntec, Valvoline, Bruce Blend, and I think Fram synthetic, no increase in iron.
31.gif

if not some form of brand loyalty, wouldnt changing oil make your car a science experiment?

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Hey, I'm loyal to Ford, that's why I buy Mazda.
crackmeup2.gif

I think Ford sold most (all?) of their shares back to Mazda now though. But as a Mazda owner (09 Speed 3) I see FoMoCo everywhere under the hood! So you're probably still helping Ford! lol

not looking for a stock/share debate, but ford and mazda have had a relationship since at least the '70's, that much i'm sure of...as you said...they say fomoco all over 'em

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back