Bragging on Lucas atf additive

3 year ago I installed lube guard in my 92 f150 e4od for torque converter shudder. It didn’t seem to help much. Recently I bought it back and the transmission still shuddered so I threw some Lucas in it figuring it was worth a shot. After about 60 miles of driving the shudder is all gone. 110% better! I’m not a big snake oil fan but I am very impressed with the dramatic improvement it has made in my old tired transmission. How long it’ll work who knows…. But it shifts terrific for now.

i filled a completely empty PSF reservoir on an ‘88 Ramcharger with their stop-leak and not only didn’t it leak, there were no noises or anything else to complain about.

Now, I’m not a supporter of ANY of their products, but I did use some back in the early aughts without issue, before I’d ever even heard of BITOG. I’m also not sure filling the reservoir with regular ol’ ATF wouldn’t have resulted in the same outcome. I’ll never know.

Like you I’m not much for snake oil but I did the same thing in our 1998 Chrysler mini van. Got several thousand miles and a few years out of it. It certainly isn’t a mechanical fix but delays the inevitable.

Just my $0.02.

I have a similar anecdotal experience many years ago. My daughter's Ford Taurus tranny went south. I did a pan drop and fluid/filter change with no luck. Added the Lucus goo and the car managed to drive, but still miserably. Sold on Craigslist as a parts car (full disclosure).

What was the difference between the 1st time you added it and the 2nd time when it worked ?

3 year ago I installed lube guard in my 92 f150 e4od for torque converter shudder. It didn’t seem to help much. Recently I bought it back and the transmission still shuddered so I threw some Lucas in it figuring it was worth a shot. After about 60 miles of driving the shudder is all gone. 110% better! I’m not a big snake oil fan but I am very impressed with the dramatic improvement it has made in my old tired transmission. How long it’ll work who knows…. But it shifts terrific for now.
Well, that thick goo has increased the line pressure, so that's the bandaid. A proper drain and fill would be a better course of action IMHO.

FWIW, I dumped a bottle of Lucas ATF fix I had laying around into the leaking system on a bucket Chevy that was very neglected. It seemed to quiet down the din of the power steering pump and slowed a leak down.

I’ll never touch Lucas or AC Pro on things they aren’t on their last legs however. However, their grease seems to be OK, I’ve used their chain lube on an old turf roller.

Well, that thick goo has increased the line pressure, so that's the bandaid. A proper drain and fill would be a better course of action IMHO.
3 years ago I changed all the fluid and the filter. The fluid is 3 years old but only had maybe 2,000 miles on it. That’s why I didn’t change it this go around.

Yup. Lubeguard is supposed to modify the friction characteristics to stop shudder, while not impacting the viscosity. Lucas just increases the viscosity.
Makes me wonder if it was less of a torque converter issue and more of like a worn valve body or something? Either way I’ll take it on the old truck. When the transmission gets real bad off I’ll swap a good unit in but it’s an old beater so no reason to rush 😂

I used Lucas transmission fix on my son’s 2001 Mitsubshi Galant that I bought at the nearby auto auction with about 140K miles, that he had since 2007 in high school. The car came with no service history at all. The Lucas got rid of transmission shudder snd rough shifting. Then on to college in CT, back to NH, drove it to S. Carolina to Navy school, drove to upstate NY for another Navy school, back to CT for his first duty station, and he still owned the car there when unfortunately it got in a collision around 2013-2014 and ins. totaled it. The car drove all up and down the eastern seaboard and was still on the road and driving seven years later.

Last edited:
Yup. Lubeguard is supposed to modify the friction characteristics to stop shudder, while not impacting the viscosity. Lucas just increases the viscosity.
Lucas transmission fix increases the viscosity but it does not just increase the viscosity. Lucas is supposed to "stops slip, hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks". It stopped the rough shifting for me.

Lucas transmission fix increases the viscosity but it does not just increase the viscosity. Lucas is supposed to "stops slip, hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks". It stopped the rough shifting for me.

That may mostly be a function of the increase in viscosity though. Their TransFix product is very similar to the Oil "stabilizer" product. I do believe it has a seal swell additive in it as well though, IIRC.

Basically, the building blocks for both of these products are very heavy cheap base oil (bright stock) and a massive amount of VII. Add some tackifier and red dye and then there may be a few tweaks to set them apart, but maybe not.

Remember, line pressure is what controls a lot of this stuff, including how much pressure is applied to the clutches. If these things are worn, spiking the pressure will mask that wear, just like spiking the viscosity in an engine will mask bearing wear.

Back