Can M1 LV ATF HP be used in '17 Silverado 5.3 6-Speed transmission?

Can M1 LV ATF HP be used in '17 Silverado 5.3 6-Speed transmission?

I took my 2017 Silverado 1500 CC 2wd 5.3 w/ 6-Speed to dealer last week for warranty work. One of the items included was for them to check out the intermittent harsh/clunky downshifts.

When I pick it up, the service advisor said the transmission pan was dropped and inspected for metal shavings and none were found.

The trans filter was replaced, pan bolted back on, then refilled and flushed with GM's "new revised ATF per a TSB for transmissions coming in for service w/ shuddering/hard shifts as a result of moisture getting into ATF, especially in our region". I live in South Texas which is very hot and humid, so maybe humidity is getting in through the vent tube?

I was told if the problem didn't go away after 200 miles, to bring it back and the torque converter would be replaced.

They didnt mention what ATF was used and after some looking around on the interwebs I found GM had TSB's similar to what they explained, but it waa only for the 8-Speed transmission and the fluid was Mobil 1 "LV ATF HP".

I could not find anywhere that this was compatible with the 6-Speed transmissions found in my body style of Silverado/Sierra 1500's from 2014-2019. It uses Dex-VI.

Anyone here know about using the M1 LV ATF HP in my model of 6-speed transmission?

I consider my driving style falls into the "severe service" category due to pulling a 7000# travel trailer 2000-3500 miles every year.

Any input and experiences is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks

Can't find anything about it being backwards compatible. GM actually removed wording from the labels of the original Dexron ATF-HP that indicated it was backwards compatible.

Only relevant thread I could find here on BITOG is this one from 2019 but he doesn't specify which transmission his truck has.

In that service ticket they used GM P/N 19417577 which is the M1 LV ATF-HP.

I'd get the service ticket from the dealership with all of the parts/etc. they used listed out.

Did it fix the problem?

Disregard my post. HA

I looked again at my paperwork and looked up the p/n's on each line item.

Although what the service writer described matched the TSB I originally found for the 8-Speed GM transmissions, TSB # 20-NA-142 posted below was on my paperwork, along with p/n 24236933 Filter Kit, p/n 88862155 Dexron VI and the labor 8481018.

Screenshot_20201010-121454_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

The TSB above calls for regular AC Delco Dex VI ATF, and not the M1 LV ATF HP.

It advises that after pan is dropped, magnet is inspected, and filter is replaced, new fluid is added.

The tech is then instructed to use the GM "Transmission Fluid Exchange Kit" to drain/refill 4 quarts at a time with fresh Dex-VI a couple of times repeatedly.

I feel like a noob for going off what the service writer told me and not looking it up line items myself first!

At least I got a new filter and fluid out of it. I had planned on doing this myself later this fall as I got closer to 30k since I pull a 7000# travel trailer 3-7x a year.

Thank you @ripcord , @JRed and @BlakeB for your responses !

No problem. So according to their TSB it's essentially just a problem with the fluid needing to be changed sooner than GM anticipated? Sounds like an easy fix if the fluid change actually fixed the problem. Those are the best kind of problems. And now you've got what, 12 quarts of fresh dexron VI? Shame they didn't just put a drain plug on the pan.

Exactly @JRed

I'm thinking when the truck approaches 50k miles, I'll perform the multiple drain/refill cycle again with new fluid.

I'll have to consider then if I want to drop the pan to replace the filter. Probably should so I can install a drain plug.

It's sort of a PITA with the exhaust pipe crossover tube going right across under the pan. At least there are a ton of YouTube videos showing tips on how to do it.

I have not watched the videos but have installed drain plugs in two 6L80e’s … I know that cross over pipe will cause the pan and gasket to get out of line.
What I do is take four really short bolts and use them mid way to hold the gasket up. Slide pan in place.
Then get those long bolts behind that cross pipe started … then pull the short bolts out … keep stabbing long bolts. Easy.

As someone who has owned three of the trucks with that power train combo-I can tell you without a doubt it won't fix it. It''s a well know issue-the only option is to have a custom tune which does help-some.

There is no fluid fix for the 6 speed. You are getting things thrown at your transmission that quite frankly won't fix it.

I think Clinebarger will have some insight about this topic. You might PM him if he doesn't eventually comment in this thread.

I think Clinebarger will have some insight about this topic. You might PM him if he doesn't eventually comment in this thread.

The last time he commented on a 6 speed/8 speed GM thread it was full of all kind of misinformation. Mechanic or not.

As someone who has owned three of the trucks with that power train combo-I can tell you without a doubt it won't fix it. It''s a well know issue-the only option is to have a custom tune which does help-some.

There is no fluid fix for the 6 speed. You are getting things thrown at your transmission that quite frankly won't fix it.
There is no downside to getting the factory fluid changed out early at least. Especially for free. A custom tune can be attempted later on but maybe that should wait until after warranty is up?

Back