2017 Honda Pilot ATF Experience

This is just a quick write up of an issue I just experienced with my 2017 Honda Pilot for those of you out there who may own one. I've found several folks online describing the exact same problem however the diagnosis seem to be all over the place.

A few months ago when my Pilot had about 45k miles on it, I started noticing a strange pulsating feeling went I would drive it under light throttle load between 20-30 mph. The transmission didn't feel like it was trying to shift however the RPM gauge would fluctuating up and down about 500 RPMs. I thought maybe it was the throttle position sensor etc. I'm not normally one to involve the dealership service department in the maintenance of my vehicles, however since the power train warranty was still in effect for another two months I gave them a call and made an appointment. On the phone, Service Manager suggested that the ATF may need to be changed. I thought this was odd because I was under the impression that the service interval is 90k and I was only half way there. Unfortunately I had to cancel the appointment at the last minute and a few days later decided to just drain and fill the fluid myself to see if it made a difference. Incidentally, I asked my wife when the last time she had her Pilot's (90k) fluid changed and all I got was a confused look (not a good sign); so I ended up doing both of them at the same time. I filled with Idemitsu's H+ DW-1 fluid and the pulsating issue seemed to go away. That evening I was surfing the web and stumbled over a Honda Service bulletin on the issue that someone had published. He mentioned that he also had the same problem and that it seemed to go away after a drain and fill but the problem still persisted at low RPMs between 5th and 6th gear. Jumped in my Pilot and took it for a spin, sure enough I found mine still had a slight pulsating under the same conditions. Called the dealer, rescheduled the appointment.

So anyway, apparently Honda recognizes that "under certain driving conditions the ATF may wear out prematurely". Service Bulletin 17-014 addresses "Judder from the Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch". The remedy (on Honda) is to drain and fill the ATF three times in a row and then update the firmware on the transmission to keep the fluid from getting too hot, and then give a warranty extension to 80k. The tech working on it had a difficult time trying to replicate the issue, apparently they need to "capture the logs" and upload them to Honda for analysis. Two test drives and two office catering pick ups later they got the info they needed and got Honda to approve the procedure.

I guess what really gets me on this is - if it's 90k fluid why on earth is it wearing out at 45k? I can understand if it's driven hard, maybe 75k or 80k, but half the expected life? I don't tow anything with the vehicle, all I can think of is several trips down to the beach with a roof box, bikes on the back, and everything my wife can stuff in the vehicle put a heavier load on it than expected. I'm considering adding the official Honda transmission cooler.

Apparently the Honda DW-1 fluid isn't even synthetic, I'm thinking about draining an filling it again in 30k with the Eenos import ATF. Fluid suggestions?

Your plan of extra maintenance is about all you can do apart from getting the firmware update. If the fluid is wearing out early new fluid is the best path you have unless you want to sell the car. I know people have great luck with the idemitsu although I'm unsure about the eneos. Pick one and rock 20-30k drain and fills.

Parts guy at Honda told me these 9-speed transmissions are especially prone to overheating and recommended I get a trans cooler if I was to tow anything. There has been a lot of talk about the 9 speed on the pilot forums and seems like the current models have the bugs figured out. I have a 21 and was very cautious buying a 9 speed but it drives fine other than the occasional clunk into D.
I guess what really gets me on this is - if it's 90k fluid why on earth is it wearing out at 45k?
That's because its a ZF transmission, overengineered.

Parts guy at Honda told me these 9-speed transmissions are especially prone to overheating and recommended I get a trans cooler if I was to tow anything. There has been a lot of talk about the 9 speed on the pilot forums and seems like the current models have the bugs figured out. I have a 21 and was very cautious buying a 9 speed but it drives fine other than the occasional clunk into D.

That's because its a ZF transmission, overengineered.
He probably has the 6 speed. The 9 speed was an option then. (At least I hope so if he used DW1, the 9 Speed requires the ZF fluid)

I would never go 90k without doing fluid, on anything.

For example, Ford calls for 150k change on my 10R80. No thanks. Started D&F's at 10k and will continue to do them every 10-20k. Same with my 'old' J-Series cars. They get regular changes.

If you're keeping something long-term, throw those stupid recommendations right out the window. They were made so that companies can claim 'low cost of ownership' and all that other garbage.

Last edited:
He probably has the 6 speed. The 9 speed was an option then. (At least I hope so if he used DW1, the 9 Speed requires the ZF fluid)

I would never go 90k without doing fluid, on anything.

For example, Ford calls for 150k change on my 10R80. No thanks. Started D&F's at 10k and will continue to do them every 10-20k. Same with my 'old' J-Series cars. They get regular changes.

If you're keeping something long-term, throw those stupid recommendations right out the window. They were made so that companies can claim 'low cost of ownership' and all that other garbage.
Good point, I'm always weary of messing with transmission fluids but I'll have to get used to that. I guess the myth of loosing friction materials (that hold everything together) is still in my head.

>>He probably has the 6 speed. The 9 speed was an option then.

Yes, my Pilot has the 6 speed, my wife's has the 4 speed.

I'm just going to start drain and filling the ATF every other oil change. It's not that expensive and will only add about 5 minutes to the process.

I noticed the Eenos fluid is synthetic, I don't believe the Honda/Idemitsu fluid is. Do you guys think the Eenos fluid will hold up better?

We're heading down to the shore tomorrow, I think we'll take the truck as I don't really want to load up the Pilot until I've put some miles on it locally.

Incidentally, I looked up the ATF change procedure for the F150 and it looks like a PITA... not sure what Ford was thinking.

I don't believe the Honda/Idemitsu fluid is. Do you guys think the Eenos fluid will hold up better?

Incidentally, I looked up the ATF change procedure for the F150 and it looks like a PITA... not sure what Ford was thinking.
5 Speed on your wife's, he said being pedantic. :)

No experience with that particular fluid. If you're going to do regular D&F's, any of them will be just fine.

As for the 10R80, I just suck it out and pour new in. I don't drop the pan. I will do a pan drop at 60k to do the filter, at which point I'll go to the aluminum pan with a drain plug.

5 Speed on your wife's, he said being pedantic. :)

As for the 10R80, I just suck it out and pour new in. I don't drop the pan. I will do a pan drop at 60k to do the filter, at which point I'll go to the aluminum pan with a drain plug.

Oops, I meant 5 speed.

My F150 has the 6R80 tranny in it. It was a "sitting at home bored during first month of the pandemic internet purchase".

Good idea, I'll see if I can use my oil pump to do the same...

After looking at that ATF fluid comparison chart, I think I'm going to just stick w/ the Honda OEM DW-1. Honda must put that Zinc in it for a reason. I was expecting the Idemitsu ATF to be identical since they make the OEM fluid... that was a surpise.

After looking at that ATF fluid comparison chart, I think I'm going to just stick w/ the Honda OEM DW-1. Honda must put that Zinc in it for a reason. I was expecting the Idemitsu ATF to be identical since they make the OEM fluid... that was a surpise.
That's the never-ending debate. There's enough evidence out there for the use of different fluids, but you'll never go wrong or second-guess yourself using DW1.

Maintenance Minder usually pops a subcode 3 for ATF drain and refill by 30K on the 6AT vehicles. It is often missed during the reset process. I have no idea where you came up with the 90k number.

Even 30K is usually not adequate for these vehicles. I suggest doing one drain and refill every 15K. The ones that have the updated software (as part of the tsb) seem to fare better.

Synthetic or not isn’t the issue. The frictional properties of the fluid are what deteriórate.

>>He probably has the 6 speed. The 9 speed was an option then.

Yes, my Pilot has the 6 speed, my wife's has the 4 speed.

I'm just going to start drain and filling the ATF every other oil change. It's not that expensive and will only add about 5 minutes to the process.

I noticed the Eenos fluid is synthetic, I don't believe the Honda/Idemitsu fluid is. Do you guys think the Eenos fluid will hold up better?

We're heading down to the shore tomorrow, I think we'll take the truck as I don't really want to load up the Pilot until I've put some miles on it locally.

I did 5 drain and fills with maxlife and lubegard in our odyssey. It has the same 6 speed tras as yours
I highly recommend it. Solved my shifting issues right away.
And it's a syn fluid.
Hondas atf has a very low flash Point of 170.
Not great in a big vehicle.

Maintenance Minder usually pops a subcode 3 for ATF drain and refill by 30K on the 6AT vehicles. It is often missed during the reset process. I have no idea where you came up with the 90k number.

Even 30K is usually not adequate for these vehicles. I suggest doing one drain and refill every 15K. The ones that have the updated software (as part of the tsb) seem to fare better.

Synthetic or not isn’t the issue. The frictional properties of the fluid are what deteriórate.
Any idea why these are so hard on the fluid? Typically more speeds >> smaller ratio steps >> less shift energy. Also the 3.35 low gear seems adequate for launch w/o working the converter too hard.

Any idea why these are so hard on the fluid? Typically more speeds >> smaller ratio steps >> less shift energy. Also the 3.35 low gear seems adequate for launch w/o working the converter too hard.
Something about the shifting times increases heat in the system. The trans flash reduces this and tries to reduce atf temps.
Lubegard is great in these transmissions. I have not had the flash done and our shifting/atf temps are great.

Something about the shifting times increases heat in the system. The trans flash reduces this and tries to reduce atf temps.
Lubegard is great in these transmissions. I have not had the flash done and our shifting/atf temps are great.
Which Lubegard? I have never used it. Thanks in advance...

Flashpoint is not relevant to ATF performance.

From my experience, Amsoil, Havoline and Maxlife all resulted in harsh shifts in Honda 5/6-speed automatics after 15-25K miles.
I have used it in 5 different Hondas.
I would say the opposite......

Back