Bought some hpl 5w40

I live in a very hot climate and also not gentle at all at the gas pedal.
The mk6 I have has lots of idle time, high rev's, and lots of town traffic. I hyper mill when I can though.
The mk7 gli is no exception to my driving habits.
Hot or cold, your cooling system maintains oil temperature.
Unless you track your car, you are fine with anything recommended.

$18/quart is too much. (IMHO) I'm pretty sure new VW's call for 508.00, but I cold be wrong.

Anywho, Autozone has these Mobil1 products in the store (at least the ones near me)

Mobil 1 ESP 0w-20 VW 508.00/C5 $10/qt Seems they don't carry 5 qt jugs in the 0w-20
Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 VW 507.00/C3 $34 for 5 qt jug

Mobil1 Euro 5w-40 A3/B4 $34 for a 5 qt jug

I run the ESP line in ALL my vehicles. I used to shop online but that's a fair price for C3 & C5 oils considering no shipping charges.

$18/quart is too much. (IMHO) I'm pretty sure new VW's call for 508.00, but I cold be wrong.

Anywho, Autozone has these Mobil1 products in the store (at least the ones near me)

Mobil 1 ESP 0w-20 VW 508.00/C5 $10/qt Seems they don't carry 5 qt jugs in the 0w-20

I run the ESP line in ALL my vehicles. I used to shop online but that's a fair price for C3 & C5 oils considering no shipping charges.
HPL pitch is that you can do longer OCI. Based on UOA, that is true. Or if you are using a vehicle on track.
If you do 5k OCI, and want to stay at 5k, I agree.

Actually I can see what you are saying about cost, and you are entitled to your opinion. I am also using Mobil 1 ESP, and I think this oil is fantastic, of course I thought the same thing about Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. There is a saying that oil is cheaper than steel, and what I learned is that you pay a bit more for a better oil and have less problems.

This website here should be about finding products that are the best and sometimes the best cost a bit more.

We have to understand that companies like Mobil make many different oils to a certain price and HPL is a small company that is making great oils where the only difference to a certain extent is maybe Pour Point.

Actually I can see what you are saying about cost, and you are entitled to your opinion. I am also using Mobil 1 ESP, and I think this oil is fantastic, of course I thought the same thing about Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. There is a saying that oil is cheaper than steel, and what I learned is that you pay a bit more for a better oil and have less problems.

This website here should be about finding products that are the best and sometimes the best cost a bit more.

We have to understand that companies like Mobil make many different oils to a certain price and HPL is a small company that is making great oils where the only difference to a certain extent is maybe Pour Point.
I’m pretty sure more is different than just pour point on HPLs oils vs Mobil1

You know the old saying... A fool and his money.... ;)

T4 has been ran in any and all diesels over decades with proven performance at $20 a gallon and will continue long after your boutique oil is dead and gone.

T4 has been ran in any and all diesels over decades with proven performance at $20 a gallon and will continue long after your boutique oil is dead and gone.
Capture2.JPG

We're discussing current low ash European diesel car requirements and T-4 is not suitable for that application. A fool would use T-4 and part with his money for a new DPF.... :rolleyes:

Like I tell everyone that loves buying that bargain oil,your choice but I won't be wasting my shelf space in my 2-stall garage.

Dave did posted typical elemental concentrations for their PCMO Series.
PCMO.jpg

Is there a one available for HPL Euro Series?

I feel quite the opposite. We're lucky to to live in an era when we have oils like M1 0W-40 on the shelves: plentiful, cheap, high quality.
Agree....to a point. While you are factually correct that we live in a Era where the oils you listed are very good and can be had at a great price point, and are plentiful, the op chose another option. A boutique, non shelf available one at that, and exclusiveness, if you will, costs.

M1 is a great oil. A great option that would have worked great in ops car. I'd dare to say that HPL uses a superior base stock, no nonsense answers on this forum, and a pretty much open door policy(they had a bitog open house) coupled with nothing but stellar reviews and usage by respected members on this forum(some are engineers, tribologists).......I don't question the ops choice to go with it. Just don't like the "I bought a jersey, now I'm part of the team" attitude by some members.

I believe that member reviews(as I said, engineers, tribologists....they do lack a sense of humor) open door, superior base stocks, trump anything on the shelf.

All that coupled with Made in USA, employs Muricans is worth the price of admission.

Hpl going in the s4 and mini s after the winter. Cause sometimes PRINCIPLE > PRICE

Isn't one of HPL owners or a employee of theirs some kind of "OIL JESUS" that wrote a few books and is a well respected member in the industry???

Isn't one of HPL owners or a employee of theirs some kind of "OIL JESUS" that wrote a few books and is a well respected member in the industry???

Back