Bought some hpl 5w40

I think you missed the point and info in his post - buying oil from a company like HPL should alleviate the concerns w/r to approvals.
For those of us that don't have tea with the guy formulating and making the oil, we're going to stick with approvals. 😁

Seems like 508.00 has more stringent wear protection requirements than 502.00.

View attachment 115819
Yes which makes perfect sense. With an approval dictating an HT/HS of 2.6, wear protection is definitely more of an emphasis than for a 502 00 approved oil. It does not mean that the 508 00 oil produces less wear than the 502 00 oil. You're misusing the spider chart, "the performance charts are not a literal translation of a performance specification".

Yes which makes perfect sense. With an approval dictating an HT/HS of 2.6, wear protection is definitely more of an emphasis than for a 502 00 approved oil. It does not mean that the 508 00 oil produces less wear than the 502 00 oil. You're misusing the spider chart, "the performance charts are not a literal translation of a performance specification".
1662495099087.jpg

So, what exactly is this tool useful for? Are we merely comparing "areas of focus" between specs?

If true, the tool isn't very valuable at all.

I would like to see a real-world use example for this tool.
It is a relative emphasis on the relative comparison tool. Lubrizol specifically says to compare oils in the same category, which would be, let's say, BMW LL17FE and VW508.00/509.00.
Still, they have different test engines. BMW uses N20 engines as testing equipment. Not sure what VW uses for this approval.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned I was looking at HPL Euro 5W-40 (4/1Gallon jugs) and I was ok with cost.
But I got 56 quarts at home between Ravenol VST 5W-40 and QS FS Euro 5W-40 which is good for 9 OC so I have to wait.
Holy cow that's a lot of oil in reserve!
For those of us that don't have tea with the guy formulating and making the oil, we're going to stick with approvals. 😁
By all means, you run what you want. No need to have tea with anyone, the company and their pedigree should be enough to trust it..good lord they make oil for race teams.

Holy cow that's a lot of oil in reserve!
Yes it is. I got little stupid about a year ago when I saw QSUD Euro 5W-40 at WM online for $13.99 which was error on part of WM. As soon as I purchased 7/5QT jugs they changed the price to $17.99

I've never found an oil certification that demand performance in ringland cleaning (varnish removal and de-coking.) That is valuable to many, including myself.
You wouldn't find a requirement for coking removal, it would be for prevention.
It (prevention) is part of Seq IIIG and subsequent tests:
Exxon Mobil technical_Page_19.jpg

As well as the M271 Wear Test (Ring sticking) and OM 646/VW TDI Mercedes tests (piston cleanliness):
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 9.27.23 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 9.27.56 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 9.28.07 AM.jpg

You wouldn't find a requirement for coking removal, it would be for prevention.
It (prevention) is part of Seq IIIG and subsequent tests:
As well as the M271 Wear Test (Ring sticking) and OM 646/VW TDI Mercedes tests (piston cleanliness):
This is good info for those who haven't seen these before.

My point was more or less that explicit pursuit and usage of products with x-y-z certifications on the whole won't let the engine owner move directionally to a significantly cleaner ringpack (specifically via removal of varnish and coke deposits.) A la, "what's done is done."

As you've shown and discussed in the past with the Mobil ad, they elect to use small amounts of esters and alkylated naphthalenes in many of their product lines (mainly Mobil 1 lineups,) which can result in some ring cleaning. But they don't include or need those to meet specs or certifications.

The strong ability to clean by including significant proportions of these base oils (and commensurate detergents/dispersants) puts the deposit performance of a cert in good perspective with relation to HPL's relative performance.

A40 is a tough spec. So is MB 228.51, and many others. But they are still a deposit "preventative" spec, not a "restorative" spec.

They don't exist.

Last edited:
This is good info for those who haven't seen these before.

My point was more or less that explicit pursuit and usage of products with x-y-z certifications on the whole won't let the engine owner move directionally to a significantly cleaner ringpack (specifically via removal of varnish and coke deposits.) A la, "what's done is done."

As you've shown and discussed in the past with the Mobil ad, they elect to use small amounts of esters and alkylated naphthalenes in many of their product lines (mainly Mobil 1 lineups,) which can result in some ring cleaning. But they don't include or need those to meet specs or certifications.

The strong ability to clean by including significant proportions of these base oils (and commensurate detergents/dispersants) puts the deposit performance of a cert in good perspective with relation to HPL's relative performance.

A40 is a tough spec. So is MB 228.51, and many others. But they are still a deposit "preventative" spec, not a "restorative" spec.

They don't exist.
Yes, though I think from an OEM perspective, none of these companies are going to be concerned about cleaning-up deposits. If you are Mercedes, your goal is to prevent them in the first place, so that makes sense. Oils that will actually clean that area are well above and beyond what the OEM's are interested in.

Yes, though I think from an OEM perspective, none of these companies are going to be concerned about cleaning-up deposits. If you are Mercedes, your goal is to prevent them in the first place, so that makes sense. Oils that will actually clean that area are well above and beyond what the OEM's are interested in.
My question has always been w/r to this discussion - what you are losing by adding additional "cleaning" ability to an oil?

His general "distrust" towards lighter oils.
I live in a very hot climate and also not gentle at all at the gas pedal.
The mk6 I have has lots of idle time, high rev's, and lots of town traffic. I hyper mill when I can though.
The mk7 gli is no exception to my driving habits.

Back