Bought a new cordless impact gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a new impact gun. This time, I sprung for an Ingersoll-Rand W7150. Although it cost me a pretty penny for a disposable item, it has been worth every penny so far.

http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/lpg/w7150/

Here are some things I like about it:

- Strong power. 780 ft-lbs of torque. Although I have not tried it on extremely tough bolts yet, it has not shown the slightest struggle on any bolt so far.
- Awesome electric brake. The moment that you let go of the trigger, the gun comes to a screeching halt. No more worries about accidentally nicking an alloy wheel.
- Variable speed that is well-controlled. My Makita 1/2" cordless did not have this feature and it drove me nuts.
- Long battery life. I used it on/off for a clutch job and a brake job and there's still a ton of juice left.
- Reasonably compact for a cordless impact; it is slightly smaller AND lighter than my friend's Snap-On CT4850HO.

If you are in the market for a cordless impact, I would give serious consider to the IR W7150. Yes, it is a bit pricey, but it delivers.

Normally I would post a picture, but I left the gun at my friend's house. I will post a picture when I go back to pick it up this weekend.

PS...my old Makita gun is listed in the for sale section.

Sounds interesting, I'd love to have a good cordless impact.

Where did you buy it ?

What did you pay for it ?

If you have a torque wrench can you torque a lug nut to 100 ft./lbs. and see if it break it loose ? and how long it takes ?

Keith

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
Sounds interesting, I'd love to have a good cordless impact.

Where did you buy it ?

What did you pay for it ?

If you have a torque wrench can you torque a lug nut to 100 ft./lbs. and see if it break it loose ? and how long it takes ?

Keith

$459 for a kit with 2 batteries, and a 3rd one free.

A lug nut comes off in a split second. Seriously. There's almost no hammering at all.

Are you judging on your own prius lugs? Hit a junkyard or your dad's previa.
wink.gif

For what you got i.e. massive torque and 3 batteries (I presume they are lithium) and faster charger (must be!) $459 is a great deal. To me it would be worth 5 times more than my lowly Craftsman C3.

I am little surprised that you previously purchased the Makita without the variable control. That should rank very high as requirement for a cordless gun.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Are you judging on your own prius lugs? Hit a junkyard or your dad's previa.
wink.gif

I loaned it to a friend to test for a few days and it has performed flawlessly on bolts that are much tighter than the Prius lugnuts.

Originally Posted By: Boczech
Does that come with any kind of warranty ? That is one sweet looking impact gun

I think it comes with their standard 1-2-3 warranty program...

Would have loved to try one more powerful than my Dewalt on my trailers where I needed to soak a few lug nuts with PB Blaster for a day or two before I could get them undone.

Would a more powerful impact wrench ever break the stud or does that only happen if you use a regular (hand tool) wrench with 4' of pipe on it?

Looks like a nice cordless. I was looking at these, but then it's one odd ball in the family for me. I try and stick with one brand, so I don't have 5 different chargers on my toolbox haha.

I'll to put it on my wishlist
smile.gif

That IR gun is a beast. It looks much larger than the CM C3 impact that I have, but the IR is much more capable.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Find a boat trailer that has been dumped in salt water and not maintained and see how it does?

If you were closer I would let you test it out.

I have this impact gun and it's a blast to use. I also have a Snap On CT6850 (with lithium), and the Craftsman C3 (lithium also), and the W7150 is more powerful, bar none.

This gun is equivalent to an air gun, but without the air hose. Breaking lug nuts is nothing to worry about. Haven't come across one that wouldn't come off. I've used this gun to remove axle nuts torqued to 250 ft-lbs, and crank pulley bolts with no issues. The only thing it hasn't really taken off is those pesky Honda Accord crank bolts. Then again, even my air guns have a hard time with those.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I need to change some tires on my Bobcat. So maybe I will give it a try. I will leave now and should be in CA in October to try yours out.

I'll put it on the calendar to have the battery charged and waiting for you.

thumbsup2.gif

Sounds like a good alternative to an air compressor if one doesn't have space or electricity to support a compressor powerful enough to run a good air impact gun. If I don't get a compressor in a few years, this might be an option.

This should be plenty of power to remove the anode rode from the water heater. When I used an air impact, it took quite a few tries before I loosened it.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Sounds like a good alternative to an air compressor if one doesn't have space or electricity to support a compressor powerful enough to run a good air impact gun. If I don't get a compressor in a few years, this might be an option.

I see it as a compliment. I still have a 1/2" and 3/4" pneumatic impact wrenches but its not east to get some things within hose distance of my air compressor. So if I want to work on a big trailer or something in the barn I pick up the cordless impact wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back