Kobalt cordless impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure if this should go here in Tool Time or in the Coupons/Rebates section. I thought this was a great deal. Lowe's has their 24 volt brushless cordless 1/2" impact driver for $99.00 and it comes with a free 2 ah battery.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-24-...shless-Cordless-Impact-Wrench/1000180491

The regular price on the battery by itself is $20.00. The drill is a tool-only deal, you buy the drill for $99.00 and the charger for $43.00 and the free battery makes it a decent bargain compared to some other cordless impacts. Last Friday I bought the impact and charger and got the free battery. On Saturday I did some work on my Honda and that impact buzzed the lug nuts off like they were not even there, super fast, quiet and very easy to just pick up a cordless impact and remove the wheel. I torque my Honda's lug nuts to 85 ft-lbs and my wife's Nissan to 90 ft-lbs so they are not torqued to gorilla specs but the impact worked great regardless.

Then I was at Lowe's again on Sunday and saw this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-24-...-Leaf-Blower-Battery-Included/1000461395

This blower set comes with the leaf blower, charger and a 4 ah battery all in one box. Regular price on the set is $139.00, which I also think is a good bargain. I picked up the leaf blower set today and tested it out, it works great and is super light to maneuver. So now I have 2 batteries to use on either tool but I can use the charger I bought last week on either battery and always have one charging so it will be ready to go if/when the other one dies in the middle of a job.

These Kobalt tools might not be pro quality and may or may not hold up in everyday shop/use it to earn a living environments but I did not buy them for that. I will use the impact maybe 10 or 12 times a year when rotating tires on mine and my wife's car, maybe have to occasionally remove a bolt with it but that's about it. I have always wanted a cordless leaf blower to use on my sidewalk and driveway after cutting the grass and to sweep my garage floor, porch and back patio. I like the impact a lot so far, it is a little heavier with the 4 hour battery but still a lot lighter and much easier to use compared to my old electric impact wrench. One of the things I have read online is people really like the lower price of the Kobalt batteries compared to other brands. The 24 volt 4.0 ah battery by itself costs $50.00, so that combined with being able to use either battery on either tool made it a good bargain for me.

The leaf blower deal ends tomorrow. I am not sure how long the free battery deal is available. Both tools are brushless and seem to be great quality. They should work just fine for my use.

650 ft pounds of torque? How can you go wrong at that price? Cordless impact drivers are the way too nowadays...much easier than pulling out a compressor and dealing with a big bulky air hose. Love the cordless stuff.

I've used Dewalt and Makita. Both are great. I'm sure the Kobalt will be fine for home use. sounds like a good deal.

The top link is the 1/2" impact "wrench" which is $99 tool-only, per link. It's not their highest torque model, but like you attest, it does spin a Honda lug nut with ease. There are yt vids that show the same torque output with the 2A and 4Ahr battery.

The impact 1/4" driver is $99 for the tool, 2Ahr batt , charger and bag. These seem to be the normal prices since I bought both for same price a couple months ago.

As you say this is an excellent deal for occasional home use. The batteries are cheaper than Dewalt/MKE. I might get the blower, thanks for the tip!

Btw, you can get an adapter and use the batteries as a USB power bank to change your phone in an emergency.

thanks for the tip - I am seriously considering the blower.
I have 4 of the Kobalt cordless: great tools. I would not hesitate to use them if I was a tradesman. I also have a Milwaukee impact and a Ridgid impact.

I have serious doubt that the featured 1/2" impact puts out 650 ft lbs. I think it struggles to do 150. I have that tool - I would call it lightweight. I also have the larger Kobalt. powerful but heavy.
I would also recommend considering the Ridgid line. not that I think the tools are any better, but they come with a lifetime warranty on the tool and the battery!!!

One last edit here, the leaf blower does work ok, but is not as strong as I would like. It did ok on my dry garage floor, not so well on heavier wet leaves on my front porch when I went to sweep it off for trick or treaters tonight. There are similar complaints on the Lowe's web site. It was my mistake buying the leaf blower on impulse without checking the reviews first. I will probably return it this weekend, I really don't need the extra battery all that much. If I ever do really need one, I can buy another 2 hour battery for $20.00. The impact driver did a great job last week when working on my car, I can definitely recommend it, but the leaf blower is not that great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back