1/2" Cordless Impact for home wrenching... Ryobi? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Which Dewalt? Battery issue?

I like the lifetime warranty offered by Ridgid. I’ve bought into their ecosystem.

While most of the yearly sales are over there will still be some that pop up here and there. Keep an eye on slickdeals.net

What power tools do you already have ? I don't play the "team" game but I also don't want multiple chargers and a mixture of batteries.

Do you have an existing inventory of batteries that would be compatible with any of the options you are considering? Or conversely, do you think you might have other cordless tool purchases on the horizon? If for example you might buy a cordless drill/impact driver set, you may want to look at the Ryobi options and see if the batteries work across the product line.

The old ryobi stuff(blue) was not very good. But the newer green 18v tools are pretty decent. They are not made for everyday contractor use like dewalt ,makita , or milwaukee. I have several ryobi batt tools. While I don't have the impact driver, I do have the drill, saw, both the 18g and 16g nailers( I bought reconditioned fairly cheap), the grinder for mower blades. I have no issue with any of them, they work for what I need, and I'm happy with them. I'm trimming 20 windows in oak, stools and all , and the nail guns are great. Good for homeowner work , not commercial use.

1609443911654645305330399249315.jpg
16094440021358519324940703758071.jpg

My old DeWalt 1/2" impact ain't cutting it anymore.
Here is a Home Depot Special Buy on a Ryobi. 300 pound feet torque.
Your thoughts?

Ryobi $99

What are you using it for, Automotive work? Might work on lug nuts, might not have enough power for larger fasteners. What DeWalt do you have, 18v or 20v?
Would be interesting to try that 18v dewalt with an adapter for 20v batteries and use a 5amh battery first before deciding on giving up on the DeWalt.

Probably the cheapest you can get that's semi decent. I just keep it as a spare as I have a bunch of other Ryobi tools like drills, saws, inflators etc. It's actually a decent 4 amp hour battery. Anyway, Ryobi just came out with a 600 foot pound impact wrench, P262. Don't see it on shelves yet but maybe by February.

The Ridgid at $150 was also a decent deal, came with battery and charger, comes and goes though, not on sale now.

They are not made for everyday contractor use like dewalt ,makita , or milwaukee.
I think many people will say that about any brand of consumer-level power tools available at the big-box stores.

Makita here too. Some of the Milwaukee is ok too. But Ryobi no not from my opinion. I really am impressed with my Porter Cable stuff too that maybe something to look into. I’ve had excellent luck with Earthquake from Harbor Freight as well you can’t kill those things.

I'd probably agree that the Ryobi is a homeowner-level tool but I've had one for a few years and it's been just fine. It was cheap, I use it at home and bring it in the race trailer where I use it primarily for lug nuts and also have the cheap $20 inflator that uses the same batteries.

I wouldn't argue that it's the best tool, but I also have no regrets buying it.

eww ni-cad.. I just vomited in my mouth a little.

Just beware anything 300 or under will struggle on some lug nuts.. maybe not as bad in CA.

I had the dewalt mid torque and it was sold.
I now have just the big dewalt dcf899 and the milwaukee m12 stubby.
anything the m12 stubby wouldnt do.. the dewalt mid torque.. wouldnt stuggle mightily on

Most regular cars the m12 stubby works fine and is 1/3 the weight of the big dewalt.

There is definitely a place in the toolbox for a BIG impact and a smaller one..
but if only one tool .. get a big one.

right now home depot has the Big Dewalt with 4ah battery & charger for $199

it has 3 power settings. tickle me, actually do something, might break stuff.

setting 1 is usually good for putting lugnuts back on to around 50ft-lb.
setting 2 I use to remove properly torqued car lugnuts
setting 3 truck lugnuts or corroded on.

It would be extremely hard to beat the value in that deal on the dewalt.
only reason I would go in another direction is if you want other tool set.. ie want to start milwaukee m18.

Last edited:
Back