Cordless impact wrench

It's always gotten on my nerves to witness Mechanics use 3/8" Impacts to remove Lug Nuts. Break Away Torque is ALWAYS much higher than what the fastener was originally torqued to.

A Mid-Torque 1/2" is perfect for Lug Nuts, Though there are 3/8" Impacts built on the same frame with the same ratings, But why beat on your 3/8" sockets like that?
Oh, that’s me! My Mac AW4400 1/2 was used for hard to break loose stuff only. That impact has tons of power but it weighs too much and sounds like a tractor trailer Jake brake. So the 3/8 was what I grabbed for any lug nuts on 1/2 ton truck or smaller vehicles.

Sockets held up fine but my 3/8 impact lifespans were not the best and needed some replacement hard parts along the way as well.

I have the 12V version of the Dewalt, thing can't even bust lugs with a full battery, and it's not like they were super tight, they came right off with the tire iron but I had to lower the car all the way back down so the tire was on the ground then twist the jack all the way back of again the get the spare on, so I'm not to impressed with dewalts ratings, definitely disappointed me when I needed it, my 12V was rated at 200lb-ft of breaking torque and couldn't even undo lugs do I don't know how much I'd trust that 300lb rating on their 20V.

12V, no matter of spec will never be enough. Just common sense.

At least 14.4V is on the border, I used to have 14.4 Makita (somebody stole it) and it can do the Toyota (80 ft.lbs) but not the Suburban (120 ft.lbs).

A 4 or 5 AH battery will run it a long time. It is quite a bit heavier of course…
It will also give more sustained power, a higher Ah should also have a higher C rating. (longer and stronger discharge rate)

And agree 18-20V for the stronger wenches. I do have a couple red 12V, and frankly they are strong for their size and weight - I use them for driving lag bolts all day long.

You can buy battery adapters for 10-20 bucks these days for any combination of tools and batteries. I have all dewalt batteries but I have a couple tools from other brands that I got for cheap and just use an adapter to run them off the dewalt batteries.

It’s the 2861, gen 1 mid torque. If I recall correctly, it had the same advertised power as my IR231, and essentially the same size in every dimension except height.

Seems that Milwaukee’s marketing department was working some serious overtime and I bought it hook, line, and sinker.
I owned a 2861 for over a year and had zero issues removing lug nuts with it. It was definitely on the weaker side, but any fastener originally tightened to 125 ft/lbs or less was fine.

I picked up a Dewalt Powerstack battery. Probably overkill for what I need, but a 4 or 5AH battery was just was too big and pricey.

Looks like I'm getting deeper into the Dewalt world than I planned.

I guess this is why you always wear eye protection.

1651166867941.jpg

Good thread. I currently only have pneumatic impact wrenches. Seriously thinking about cordless.

Good thread. I currently only have pneumatic impact wrenches. Seriously thinking about cordless.
Cordless is great for light-duty production work. If you’re a DIYer, then you really only need one 1/2” impact. I would stick to a high-power pneumatic one then.

View attachment 97985

This cordless will do just about anything you need and it is not huge. Get charger and original Makita batteries on ebay much cheaper.
This is a high quality and most powerful mid size on the market right now.

Ebay example OE only for for or fits Makita. % or 6A batteries work best in this one, you can use a 3 or 4A but run time is less and power slightly reduced.

Yup. The impact that killed the world. Don't hurt yourself, or the lug nuts...
Makes front brake jobs sissified.

Perhaps for the home DIYer a tool set like the Ryobi makes sense, but tools like this are such a pleasure to use. My brother used to tell me the right tool feels good in your hand.
PXL_20220428_183606226.jpg

I drank the kool-aid back when the Milwaukee mid torque came out, and I am going back to air. This mid torque cordless struggles with anything over 80 ft/lbs and is completely neutered by extensions.

To me, the time savings from not messing with an air hose are being eaten up by having to hammer away on fasteners for so much longer.
You're not doing it right if your extensions neuter the hammering. When using extensions, especially old worn extensions or multiple extensions stacked, it is imperative that you hold a twisting pressure with your hand on the extension closest to the gun in the direction you are going, while hammering. This allows the gun to actually hammer the bolt or nut rather than hammering on the slack created by the extension(s) relaxing, in between blows. If you are hammering something with an extension and its not budging, grab the extension and twist it, you will be amazed how things come right off. Now, if you have a weak gun, that is a different story.

I bought this super cheapy cordless 1/2" impact a year or two ago for under $40 all in just to tinker with. I've been surprised at how powerful it is.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/78....jpeg?odnHeight=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF
I returned the Dewalt high torque(still new in box, never used) after acquiring a Hart at $60 pawn shop find. I followed the logic of 'still have air impact too', and like you I am happy enough with the performance and for the price difference, that was probably the best choice for my real world uses, here's my brief review I just posted;

Reactions: JTK
I returned the Dewalt high torque(still new in box, never used) after acquiring a Hart at $60 pawn shop find. I followed the logic of 'still have air impact too', and like you I am happy enough with the performance and for the price difference, that was probably the best choice for my real world uses, here's my brief review I just posted;
The Hart is nothing like the high torque impact wrench although slightly better than a Ryobi P261 which is only 300 foot pounds, the Hart is 350 foot pounds. I think the last time I had someone rotate my tires, they must have used their impact at the high setting of their gun. Had a flat tire and my Milwaukee 2767 had a hard time on a couple bolts. Usually they come right off after a couple seconds, but on two of them, I had to hammer away for 15-20 seconds or so before it came loose and that one supposedly has 1400 foot pounds in reverse.

Back