Cordless impact wrench

That is my thought too. Also, what other accessories would you want? It is nice having a tire inflator too, along with drill and screwdriver for around home use.

Me, I went Makita but I use the seriess more for non auto stuff—but same battery for all.

I have a mix of nonsense - mainly gifts, or stuff I bought on sale when I needed it. Roughly split between Ryobi and Dewalt, with some random stuff mixed in. (So poor planning on my part).

For accessories, I do have a Ryobi inflator that works well - it uses the battery from my 1/4 driver.

What kind of screwdriver are we talking about here? I'm intrigued. (I have a Worx screwdriver I use constantly - I thought it was a dumb gift from my mother-in-law - but it gets used constantly and never needs to be charged).

I just replaced a 12v clapped out Black and Decker drill with a 20v Dewalt - which was my jump into the Dewalt bumblebee world. I not a big tool guy, but was shocked at the torque difference - I always dragged out corded stuff if I needed to drill into wood or stone. So, I figured now might be the time to jump into a bigger impact for lugs and brake work.

My lawn stuff is 40v Ryobi - trimmer, weed wacker, chainsaw. (I'm slowly moving away from gas).

and realized I was pretty quick that my cheap Harbor Freight sockets were not up to the beating.
A lot of people actually consider HF's impact sockets to be pretty good, at least for the little amount of money they cost.

Do they even make 3/8 sockets that are impact rated?
HF sells them under Pittsburgh as well as Icon. If they offer them, other companies will to.

A lot of people actually consider HF's impact sockets to be pretty good, at least for the little amount of money they cost.

HF sells them under Pittsburgh as well as Icon. If they offer them, other companies will to.

Absolutely - I have a set of their 1/2 impacts, best deal around.

Yeah please do post up the source as I have a real nice 3/8 20v brushless dewalt in the drawer that won’t hold a socket. We have a tool repair guy here and he told me that he has to replace the shaft because the replacement rings spread when installing them and then the customer complains that they can’t get a socket on the gun. He is the one that turned us on to the 7/16 hex guns which completely solved the problem.
I’m in no way shape nor form using my stuff here at home as much as a pro shop but many moons ago I started out with a 12v makita 1/4 hex and was busting drives all the time. Since I prefer the 1/4 hex on the small guns for what ever reason I started buying the Hitachi drives at Lowe’s and I can honestly say it has been several years since I’ve broken one but a bigger gun is now just a few steps away too.
Thanks CL

"Just Clips" is the name, They also have a tool kit to install the clips. I just put the clip down on the work bench, Hold the impact at a 45° angle & snap the clip on the anvil. Never spread the clip!

I drank the kool-aid back when the Milwaukee mid torque came out, and I am going back to air. This mid torque cordless struggles with anything over 80 ft/lbs and is completely neutered by extensions.

To me, the time savings from not messing with an air hose are being eaten up by having to hammer away on fasteners for so much longer.

What model number? My 2962-20 (Gen 2 Fuel) is awesome & has no problem with 36mm Axle Nuts.

"Just Clips" is the name, They also have a tool kit to install the clips. I just put the clip down on the work bench, Hold the impact at a 45° angle & snap the clip on the anvil. Never spread the clip!
Well thanks man while I’m at it I’ll get a few for my old CP stuff as well.
This would have been good to know a few years ago as it would have saved several tools on my crew.

I have a DCF894. Its nice and will take any lug nut properly put on a passenger vehicle i've run across, it is smaller that a IR234.

The "Atomic" line is compact and a HD exclusive if I am not mistaken unless you require the small size, id go with he standard brushless line.

What kind of screwdriver are we talking about here? I'm intrigued. (I have a Worx screwdriver I use constantly - I thought it was a dumb gift from my mother-in-law - but it gets used constantly and never needs to be charged).
sorry, i was thinking impact. the 1/4” impact i use pretty heavily when making things. Great with construction screws, lousy with phillips-I use a low power B&D for those.

The new 20VMax DeWalt drivers must be better. I was a real fool and bought one of the first 20VMax versions. (2014-2015ish?) It's big and heavy. It ends there. I think my cayt with a stubby box end can apply more torque.

That said I LOVE all my 20VMax tools. That was my only dud.

I started buying Milwaukee 12V stuff as well. I have a 3/8" AND a 1/2" impact wrench for building (driving lag bolts and tightening truss bolts and such) more so than car wrenching...........uh these will easy snap off 1/4" lag bolts. Care is needed. I also now have a 12V ratchet. Wow are these three handy.

Milwaukee 12V = Amazing power for the size and weight.

For vehicle type wrenching, I have two compressors and air tools.

What model number? My 2962-20 (Gen 2 Fuel) is awesome & has no problem with 36mm Axle Nuts.
It’s the 2861, gen 1 mid torque. If I recall correctly, it had the same advertised power as my IR231, and essentially the same size in every dimension except height.

Seems that Milwaukee’s marketing department was working some serious overtime and I bought it hook, line, and sinker.

That Ryobi is the older model that's only 300 foot pounds, they came out with a newer model that is 600 foot pounds in reverse so it's like the equivalent mid torque model on the Milwaukee line. That 300 foot pounds might not work on lug nuts as I have one of those and couldn't get one lug nut off with that impact even though it's supposed to be only 100 foot pounds.

@Wolf359 that is interesting. I have that older 300 lb ft Ryobi and it has plenty of power for lug nuts torqued to 100. Even my Ryobi 3/8 impact can take of lug nuts pretty easily, despite only rated at 150 lb ft. In both cases, just make sure you set them on high speed - the lower speeds are really only useful when reinstalling nuts to prevent overtightening. Ryobi also has a new high-torque 1/2" model at Home Depot listed at >1100 lb ft.

Regardless, if the OP wants to consolidate to Dewalt, their mid-torque XR line has plenty of power for lug nuts.

It’s the 2861, gen 1 mid torque. If I recall correctly, it had the same advertised power as my IR231, and essentially the same size in every dimension except height.

Seems that Milwaukee’s marketing department was working some serious overtime and I bought it hook, line, and sinker.
That's the same one I have and have never had any issue with it taking things off.

It won't get much use - mainly lugs or rotor fasteners a few times a year (85 -100 ft/lbs max). But I did a valve cover recently - and I always seem to be looking for something small to buzz out long fasteners.

I know the Milwaukee M18 line is recommended, but I can't justify another set of batteries - just way too many already. (Trying to consolidate to Dewalt, but have a couple Ryobi 18v tools).

Anyone have experience with this:

If I want to cheap out - I could use the battery for my existing 1/4 impact and tire inflator:

If you already have compatible Dewalt batteries, that DCF921B is what I'd pick among these three. Very good size to torque ratio. Then again it's twice the price for a bare tool, might be overkill if not used often. It's easy for me to spend your money. ;)

I have the Ryobi P261 and it's fine for passenger vehicle spec lug nuts, even did some > 200 ft lb axle nuts with it, but it is large for the amount of torque, not ideal for speeding up work in tighter areas. There it is, is ~$100 difference worth it for working in tight areas?

I drank the kool-aid back when the Milwaukee mid torque came out, and I am going back to air. This mid torque cordless struggles with anything over 80 ft/lbs and is completely neutered by extensions.

To me, the time savings from not messing with an air hose are being eaten up by having to hammer away on fasteners for so much longer.
I have Makita mid size while both are "mid size" their power ratings are much different. It sound like you bought a less powerful model which is still fine for a lot of jobs or yours is defective and needs repair.

@Wolf359 that is interesting. I have that older 300 lb ft Ryobi and it has plenty of power for lug nuts torqued to 100. Even my Ryobi 3/8 impact can take of lug nuts pretty easily, despite only rated at 150 lb ft. In both cases, just make sure you set them on high speed - the lower speeds are really only useful when reinstalling nuts to prevent overtightening. Ryobi also has a new high-torque 1/2" model at Home Depot listed at >1100 lb ft.

Regardless, if the OP wants to consolidate to Dewalt, their mid-torque XR line has plenty of power for lug nuts.
That might just be Mercedes, those lug bolts tend to rust up, they don't use chrome bolts. Once I took it to a shop and their regular air hammer couldn't get them off even though those are typically at least 400-600 foot pounds, the guy had to bring out a bigger air hammer before he could get the bolts off to rotate the tires.

If you already have compatible Dewalt batteries, that DCF921B is what I'd pick among these three. Very good size to torque ratio. Then again it's twice the price for a bare tool, might be overkill if not used often. It's easy for me to spend your money. ;)

I have the Ryobi P261 and it's fine for passenger vehicle spec lug nuts, even did some > 200 ft lb axle nuts with it, but it is large for the amount of torque, not ideal for speeding up work in tighter areas. There it is, is ~$100 difference worth it for working in tight areas?

This sums up my thinking pretty well.

I was able to pick up a 921B for a pretty good price on Ebay.

It will be interesting to see what actually arrives.

If anyone is still following - is it worth picking up a 4ah XR Dewalt battery?

I don't know anything about batteries - I have always just used the battery with the tool. The small 1.5ah battery died out pretty quick pulling lugs.

DeWalt is releasing a new/updated mid-torque that makes identical numbers to their current high torque model. I think a few have already hit stores.

I have both 20v and M18 impacts. The DeWalts have always had better ergonomics than the Milwaukees (I hate the location of their direction switch), but they have always been way down on power...seems like the tables are about to turn.

Back