Bought a new cordless impact gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
This should be plenty of power to remove the anode rode from the water heater. When I used an air impact, it took quite a few tries before I loosened it.

If you just want a more powerful impact get a 3/4" pneumatic at HF for $100 with 1000 ft-lb torque or a 1" for $150 with 2000 ft-lb torque.

Did you try PB-Blaster overnight?

Originally Posted By: Donald
This should be plenty of power to remove the anode rode from the water heater. When I used an air impact, it took quite a few tries before I loosened it.

If you just want a more powerful impact get a 3/4" pneumatic at HF for $100 with 1000 ft-lb torque or a 1" for $150 with 2000 ft-lb torque.

The air impact I borrowed was from one of my relatives which was a IR 3/8" rated at probably at 300 ft-lbs. I only have a 3.5 gallon air compressor and worked fine with the impact if not continuous use. Yes I did spray PB Blaster and let it sit for a few hours the first time, didn't work. Then let it sit overnight and worked when I tried it next day.

The air impact I borrowed was from one of my relatives which was a IR 3/8" rated at probably at 300 ft-lbs. I only have a 3.5 gallon air compressor and worked fine with the impact if not continuous use. Yes I did spray PB Blaster and let it sit for a few hours the first time, didn't work. Then let it sit overnight and worked when I tried it next day.

But cost is always an issue. This one is close to $500. Almost the cost of a water heater (I am guessing, have not bought one in a long time).

Some people just replace water heaters, as when one thing goes, the other parts are not far behind. But maybe a different story if you can do the labor.

So do you guys think that this gun has too much power, to safely drive some Accutorq torque sockets?

I suspect if you go trigger happy, you will snap the bolt even with the Accutorq socker or the stick. The stick is no match for the 700 ft-lb of torque.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
So do you guys think that this gun has too much power, to safely drive some Accutorq torque sockets?

yes, absolutely. can you adjust its power at all, like most pneumatic ones?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jakegday
Originally Posted By: The Critic

yes, absolutely. can you adjust its power at all, like most pneumatic ones?

You cannot. But the trigger is variable speed and has a strong brake. I suppose that if I just squeeze lightly on the trigger (I know what it takes to get to 80 ft-lbs without a torque stick), I should be fine?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I suspect if you go trigger happy, you will snap the bolt even with the Accutorq socker or the stick. The stick is no match for the 700 ft-lb of torque.

I've found that decent sticks work well enough (within 10%) with a 1400 ft. lbs. gun. No worries there. To be sure, test the combination you'll be using: just use a torque wrench (beam or electronic) to measure breakaway torque is close to what a torque wrench delivers.

That is a news to me! I wonder why torque stick manufacture insist on correct air pressure of the air wrenches in the shop. I am really surprised that the stick can withstand and recover from 1400 ft-lb of twisting force. It has to dissipate (1400-80) ft-lb of twisting torque. I would have guessed that they would deform if subjected to that kind of torque but you have the real experience and I do not.

Originally Posted By: yonyon

I've found that decent sticks work well enough (within 10%) with a 1400 ft. lbs. gun. No worries there. To be sure, test the combination you'll be using: just use a torque wrench (beam or electronic) to measure breakaway torque is close to what a torque wrench delivers.

What brand of torque sticks are you using?

Just making the obligatory picture post of this thread...so that no one can say that I'm blowing smoke:

Excellent case, very well-built:

A82A957B-26D5-4BA7-845D-80A45C9B6F14-7237-000004FEF3ED946E.jpg

Yes guys, it is Chinesium. This is a global economy:

8BAA9058-2442-453C-9E76-48E2C3B77E9E-7237-000004FEF040739B.jpg

I have the two-battery model:

1B743174-969D-4005-9A2A-7C1A1CC18DAA-7237-000004FEECB91F97.jpg

Size comparison:

E69E0C20-B3E3-4098-8DBA-8004C01346BD-7237-000004FEE963C6A9.jpg

That's a big impact. Be careful using non-impact sockets and extensions with that else you'll risk tearing up the hog ring. If the socket seems like it doesn't want to go on ... stop! Don't ask me how I know this.

Just charged it for the first time since the initial charge. With only 1 bar of battery left, it had no problem blasting the strut-to-knuckle bolts on my Prius to 200 ft-lbs in two or three seconds.

Great gun.

A Polish battery and you bought it?

Did not even notice this until I went to take the picture.

Originally Posted By: yucca
Nice! Do they have a 3/8" drive in that model?

Hopefully they will have one soon.

Do want. I read the thread about it on GarageJournal. Oh well, my cheapy Northern Tool cordless impact will work well enough for now.

Still very happy with this gun. Have not had any problems at all with removing fasteners - I've yet to have a bolt/nut that it cannot release. It only struggled briefly on some lug nuts that Sears installed, but that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back