Tool Review: DieHard 1/2 Impact

Link: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/diehard-1-2-cordless-impact-wrench-20v-dh80004/12455484-P?navigationPath=L1*14924|L2*38567|L3*16181

I purchased this about a year ago for use on DIY projects outside of work. And inside of work we also used the impact ratchet which also isn't of good quality.

I've torqued lugnuts (with 2 different wrenches) to 100-ft lbs and this impact struggled to remove them. It is almost useless on steel rims of any kind. After trying for more than 30 seconds the impact will just cutoff.

It also comes with a rather small battery compared to other models, which the standard is typically a 4.0Ah and this one is just a 2.0Ah.

For smaller stuff like valve cover bolts, it does fine. But for what you pay there is far better.

I figured I'd post my thoughts before anyone made the same mistake as me. For the same price you can get either a HART or Ryobi Impact Wrench with way more power.

You can get a 1/2" drive Ryobi with 375 ft lbs and a free tool battery and charger for $99.00 at Home Depot right now.
Naw, went up to $150.00

You can get a 1/2" drive Ryobi with 375 ft lbs and a free tool battery and charger for $99.00 at Home Depot right now.
Naw, went up to $150.00

I actually just purchased that on Amazon a couple days ago for $86. It'll be my first Ryobi. I seen a video of it removing a 600-ft lbs torqued nut so I have high hopes.

I actually just purchased that on Amazon a couple days ago for $86. It'll be my first Ryobi. I seen a video of it removing a 600-ft lbs torqued nut so I have high hopes.
l almost brought that one on Amazon but then someone linked me to the one on Home Depot, and I was able to get it for $99.00.
I had it shipped to my buddy. I don't think he used it yet. That's all he really needs it for is lug nuts.

Naw, went up to $150.00
I'd get this one with 1,170 lbs for $259.

Or if you already have batteries, the impact alone for $219.

HF has the Hercules high and ultra impact wrenches that are often $159 and $179 and have solid reviews. Of course, not that great if you don't already have batteries and a charger. This is still more than I care to spend even though I am already into the battery system since I would not use one that often. I wanted to by their compact 1/2 inch impact wrench which is around $70 but the reviews and youtube tests were not favorable. They claim it has 555 ft. pounds of break away torque but it struggles in the mid 200s. At least the die hard came with a battery and a charger

@mrbreezeet1 I have, I tested it out of the box on a 30-year-old car with steel lug nuts that haven't been removed in a long time. I compared it side by side with the DieHard and the DieHard cranked until it cut-off and the Ryobi zipped it off with no issue. 100% worth the $80.

Have you got to use the Ryobi impact yet?
Wondered how it works.
I have owned that Ryobi 1/2" for a few years and I can attest to its durability and usefulness. It is not a mid- or high-torque tool but has no problem with lug nuts, axle nuts, etc. IMO its 300+ torque rating is accurate as long as you use a 4 Ah battery. A 2 Ah battery reduces its output somewhat.

Last edited:
I just picked up the Ridgid high torque R86212 with 2, 4ah batteries and charger for $229.00.
Haven't got to use it yet though.

Back