Cordless, Compact Impact Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey BITOG,

I'm in the market for a cordless impact driver, preferably a compact design with a brushless motor, in the 18V/20V class.

This tool will most likely be purchased as a kit with a cordless drill, but I'm more concerned with the impact driver so I'm making my selection more or less based on the impact driver rather than the drill (just about any of the newer 1/2" 18v/20v cordless Li-ion drills will meet my needs).

I already have a small (12v) impact driver/drill combo that I use for light work but they easily max out on the tougher jobs.

The new impact driver will be used in a homeowner setting but I'm hoping to use it for everything from tire rotations (spinning nuts off and on) to driving screws and lag bolts (typically ~3-3.5" long, up to 3/8" dia. lag bolts but more often 1/4"-5/16" lag bolts). I do not need the biggest, highest capacity batteries or the fastest possible recharge times, since the driver will likely only be used for a few hours at a time, then fully recharged. I'd like something with a high torque rating so I can run lug nuts onto wheel studs up to ~75-80% of the final torque, then finish them off with the torque wrench. Ideally I'd like to be able to break them loose with the impact too, but that isn't a necessity and is probably asking too much of a compact driver. I want something that will last me a long time even with occasional use up to its maximum torque rating.

I'm primarily looking at these two impact drivers:
DeWalt DCF887
Bosch IDH182

Does anyone have experience with these two drivers? Or general experience with build quality comparisons between Bosch and DeWalt? Or suggestions for other options? I don't necessarily have any brand loyalty in this area, but I would prefer a brand with a good reputation. (Makita or Ridgid, maybe?) Milwaukee is possibly in the running but I've heard several stories about them breaking down/eating gears (possibly they deliver more torque than their gears can handle?)

What do y'all think?

An impact driver is not going to spin off lug nuts. You need an impact wrench for that. There are two totally different tools.

Milwaukee Fuel impact wrench is great and will take off lug nuts no problem. I have the 1/2 in 210 ft lb model, the 1/2in 700 ft lbs, as well as a 12 v 3/8 impact wrench. no problems with any after 3 years of use.

I also have had good luck with Makita tools.

From what ive seen on youtube you really cant go wrong with any of the major brands though.

Fuel as mentioned if you have access to the bolt.

I think a small compressor setup is best then you can get an Aircat etc to access caliper bracket bolts etc, then have an IR for bigger stuff.

To me electrics are fairly bulky for anything but DIY lugs, suspension, control arms, axle nuts etc should all work great though.

I have a Bosch IDH182 and other tools from the set. I tighten my lug nuts to 90 ft-lbs and it pops them off with no problem. Highly recommended.

If you can afford the Milwaukee M18 Fuel, those are great too.

I have the Milwaukee M18 Fuel 3/8" impact wrench and my only regret is not buying one years ago. I don't take my wheels off very often if at all so I settled on the 3/8". It is great around the house and working on my vehicles.

I think some posters missed something.

The OP asks for IMPACT DRIVER recommendations not impact wrench.

Impact driver MAY remove lug nuts but it will struggle.
I have a 1500lb/in impact driver and it barely would.

I would take a breaker bar and loosen all the lugs 1/4 turn or so then it would do it fine.

I now use a dewalt impact wrench and have retired the impact driver from this use. They do work fine to zip the lugnuts off and back on.

I tried my bosch impact driver one time and it took off a freshly tightened 70lb/ft lugnut. "ok"
at 90lb/ft it struggled for 3-4 seconds and I stopped.

The impact driver loses alot of torque in the hex>square adapter.

I have the Bosch IDH182. While it may be designated as an impact "driver", it does also have a 1/2" drive head which incorporates the 1/4" hex. This makes the tool flexible as you can use 1/2" impact sockets directly, or choose to use any 1/4" hex accessories.

It is sufficiently powerful for light duty work. It will zip off lug nuts on cars at the max power setting, but it would struggle in higher torque applications like truck lugs and suspension work. One useful feature I like is the 3 power level selection, so you can use it for more delicate work in the engine bay like transmission pan bolts etc.

When buying power tools, you are buying into a system because you are committed to the battery packs and chargers. Don't just look at one tool that will fit your needs, you will need to look at the entire lineup and compare to see if one brand can give you more tools that you really need.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
An impact driver is not going to spin off lug nuts. You need an impact wrench for that. There are two totally different tools.

My Milwaukee 18v M18 Impact will remove lug nuts off my Silverado which are torqued to 140ftlbs no problem. I've removed all 6 at once on a single 5.0ah battery charge. Today's high end 1/4" impact drivers are tough.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: Leo99

My Milwaukee 18v M18 Impact will remove lug nuts off my Silverado which are torqued to 140ftlbs no problem. I've removed all 6 at once on a single 5.0ah battery charge. Today's high end 1/4" impact drivers are tough.

Wow. I hear a lot of good things about the M18s. I know my impact driver won't budge a lug nut but my Craftsman impact wrench is a beast.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I think some posters missed something.

The OP asks for IMPACT DRIVER recommendations not impact wrench.

Impact driver MAY remove lug nuts but it will struggle.
I have a 1500lb/in impact driver and it barely would.

I would take a breaker bar and loosen all the lugs 1/4 turn or so then it would do it fine.

I now use a dewalt impact wrench and have retired the impact driver from this use. They do work fine to zip the lugnuts off and back on.

I tried my bosch impact driver one time and it took off a freshly tightened 70lb/ft lugnut. "ok"
at 90lb/ft it struggled for 3-4 seconds and I stopped.

The impact driver loses alot of torque in the hex>square adapter.

Yes, exactly. Thank you. I did say Ideally I'd like to be able to break them loose with the impact too, but that isn't a necessity and is probably asking too much of a compact driver.
I don't mind breaking them loose by hand, and I much prefer to do final torque with a proper torque wrench, but I would like for the new tool to do a bit more of the work than my current, outdated, overmatched 12v kit.

Originally Posted By: The_German
Fuel as mentioned if you have access to the bolt.

I think a small compressor setup is best then you can get an Aircat etc to access caliper bracket bolts etc, then have an IR for bigger stuff.

To me electrics are fairly bulky for anything but DIY lugs, suspension, control arms, axle nuts etc should all work great though.

Thanks for the input! I have two small compressors, but neither large enough to run a 1/2" impact without cycling continuously. I know the compressor setup would work 'better' but I'm not crazy about the noise (I already have tinnitus and partial hearing loss in one ear), and with an air system I'm then tethered to the garage. I want the portability of cordless and the flexibility to use the tool for multiple tasks around the house (garage, backyard, basement, etc.)

Originally Posted By: chrome
I have the Bosch IDH182. While it may be designated as an impact "driver", it does also have a 1/2" drive head which incorporates the 1/4" hex. This makes the tool flexible as you can use 1/2" impact sockets directly, or choose to use any 1/4" hex accessories.

It is sufficiently powerful for light duty work. It will zip off lug nuts on cars at the max power setting, but it would struggle in higher torque applications like truck lugs and suspension work. One useful feature I like is the 3 power level selection, so you can use it for more delicate work in the engine bay like transmission pan bolts etc.

When buying power tools, you are buying into a system because you are committed to the battery packs and chargers. Don't just look at one tool that will fit your needs, you will need to look at the entire lineup and compare to see if one brand can give you more tools that you really need.

Thank you for the feedback on the IDH182! The 1/2 drive head+1/4 hex socket is one of the features that made this model stand out, and the specs indicate it should have the power to do light-medium duty work.

The specs on some of the new brushless drivers are pretty impressive (the DCF887 is listed at 1825 in-lbs).

I know that the tool 'ecosystem' is an important consideration, which is one reason Bosch and Dewalt are both attractive options. After the impact and drill, a cordless circular is likely next.

Thanks everyone for the input so far.

I have the Milwaukee M18 Fuel high torque impact wrench which is awesome. And a Milwaukee M18 Fuel impact driver. I use the proper tool for the application.

Milwaukee bare tools are not that expensive. But you need to buy one with battery and charger. CraigsList has new ones sometimes.

I would determine your cordless tool strategy. It should involve LiIon batteries.

For light DIY homeowner work, I grabbed a cheap Ryobi one+ kit from HD over the holidays.
$129 for drill, sawzall, circular saw, halogen worklight, and two Li batteries.

Couldn't find a better deal for anything similar.

Also asked for a Harbor Freight corded electric impact wrench. Figured that would serve me much better for auto needs - I did consider seeking out a Ryobi Li powered impact wrench, but it would be almost $100 more than the coupon discounted HF unit!

This just went on sale - I may have grabbed it if it was on sale when I bought mine:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Combo-Kit-5-Tool-P1897N/300146408

$50 more than I paid and you get the impact driver.
edit - scratch that The link above is NOT the one+ battery, but the previous version/model it seems. I do believe you want the newest one (if you guy the cheap route like I did)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blocker
If you want the Rolls Royce, go brushless in either Makita or Panasonic

Or if you prefer a Maybach go Hilti.

An impact driver isn't really suited for lugs... it can be done and will be highly dependent on various factors. My first Makita 18V LXT brushed (LXDT04) impact driver couldn't do lugs at 80 ft-lbs (rated @ 118 ft-lbs). However my newer Makita (top of the line) 18V LXT brushless (XDT12) can (rated @ 129 ft-lbs) within a second.

Both those on my BMW, garage kept and anti-seize applied... YMMV. I still use my 1/2" impact wrench (air or cordless).

I bought a corded Craftsman 1/2 inch impact wrench.
Love it. Great deal for around $100.
Milwaukee and De Walt are the major names for corded and cordless impact wrenches.
People claim to use impact drivers for lug nuts and they are barely marginal if they work at all.
Impact drivers are really not the correct tool for the job.
Small lag bolts yes lug nuts no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back