Cordless ratchet: 3/8" or 1/4" drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already have a cordless 1/2" drive impact wrench, and I'm thinking about getting a cordless ratchet, 3/8" impact wrench, and either a drill driver or a 1/4" impact.

For the cordless ratchet I'm not sure if I should get the 3/8" or the 1/4" ratchet. I'm pretty set on the Milwaukee line and there's only a 5ft lb of torque difference between the 3/8" and 1/4", with the same RPM. I'm thinking it will probably be used mostly in tight spots and on smaller bolts, so I'm leaning towards the 1/4". 5 ft lb is a pretty negligble difference, and I can always break bolts loose and tighten them by hand.

I'm also thinking of getting a 3/8" impact wrench, and either a drill or 1/4" impact. However, I'm starting to realize they won't be as necessary the cordless ratchet. The 3/8" impact would be nice to break things loose that don't require the 1/2" impact, but need something stronger than 30-35ft lb. I could also use it to tighten down things in that range that don't need to be torqued.

As for the drill driver or 1/4" impact wrench, I'm not sure which one to get. They also have a 1/4" hex bit driver. I would mostly be using this to remove and reinstall screws or small bolts, mostly for dash/interior work. It would be nice to have variable speed, so I could reinstall screws and small bolts all the way without having to worry about breaking them. For example, dash/interior screws, or headlight bolts. I don't need a drill driver for drilling holes since I have a strong Dewalt for that, but would consider it just for the variable speed.

I'm only looking to use these tools for automotive purposes, there is no other intended use. Any suggestions, comments, experiences?

I have a sears right-angle impact driver and am quite fond of it. It runs 1/4" hex but comes with a 1/4" square adaptor. Perfect for running down 10mm "nuisance bolts" on wire looms, splash guards, etc.

I'd get the 1/4" on the assumption you have a "complete socket set" and will be using your same-sized 3/8 drive ones on a hand driver simultaneously.

I think you'll be disappointed if you think you can walk into a junkyard with either, though, with the perception that you could break anything heavy free.

In general for wrenching on cars I've taken a liking to 1/4 drive. Everything is smaller and lighter. I've replaced alternators using just 1/4 drive from a small kit. If you need that much torque, you really probably should be using a breaker bar or ratchet. Those electric/air ratchets are really for fast spinning of fasteners on or off.

I have the 1/4 drive Milwaukee impact and it is surprisingly strong and works great in smaller areas. I use it for smaller nuts and bolts or to unscrew things in tight areas where you cant get a ratchet in or have long bolts. I used it a few months ago to take the rear dif cover off my truck and worked great, or working on the bikes. Its nice and light and hold a charge for a long time.

1/4; you can find sockets up to 13mm or 14mm in that size which are as big as you will ever operate upon.

Can you compare the height of the ratchet with low profile socket? If the difference is 5mm or more, definitely go for 1/4. If it is under 2mm then go for 3/8.

By the way, is that impact ratchet?

I have the 3/8" Milwaukee M12 and really like its utility working in tight confined spaces where it's difficult to swing a ratchet wrench. I chose the 3/8" for the extra torque. I don't ever recall wanting to adapt it down to 1/4". You can't go wrong with either one.

Last edited:
I have an M12 3/8 ratchet.Good tool.A 1/4" would only be good for really small stuff,the 3/8 is good for general automotive use.Unless you are working on intricate little things (electronics cases/housings,toys....) I see little to no need of the smaller one.

The Milwaukee 1/4" electric right-angle ratchet is a very good tool. I'm in aircraft maintenance and lots of us have them. I've had mine for a while and it's been great.

Check Home Depot - a friend just got the right-angle ratchet and a 12v impact gun for $170 - same price I paid for just the ratchet only.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
In general for wrenching on cars I've taken a liking to 1/4 drive. Everything is smaller and lighter. I've replaced alternators using just 1/4 drive from a small kit. If you need that much torque, you really probably should be using a breaker bar or ratchet. Those electric/air ratchets are really for fast spinning of fasteners on or off.

I agree with everything you said. I worked at a shop for a while and I found myself using 1/4" drive most of the time for engine bay and interior stuff. Also found that most of the difficult jobs involved working in tight spaces, and I always wanted more extensions, sockets, adapters, etc for 1/4" drive, but never desired more 3/8" drive stuff.

I already have a 1/2" impact for heavy duty stuff like chassis, brakes, wheels, suspension, etc. These new tools are gonna be mostly for removing and installing things more quickly, not for extra strength. Most of the initial loosening and final tightening I'll still be doing by hand when needed.

I'm thinking of the 1/4 ratchet and the 3/8 impact. Unfortunately right now, Home Depot has a deal for the opposite. $170 for the 3/8 ratchet and 1/4 impact and 2 batteries. It seems like I would want the extra power in the impact as opposed to the ratchet, since the impact can't fit in any tight spaces, but the ratchet can. So the ratchet will be mostly for smaller spaces.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
1/4; you can find sockets up to 13mm or 14mm in that size which are as big as you will ever operate upon.

Can you compare the height of the ratchet with low profile socket? If the difference is 5mm or more, definitely go for 1/4. If it is under 2mm then go for 3/8.

By the way, is that impact ratchet?

According to the Milwaukee website, all the specs are the same except for the 5ft/lbs torque difference. The weight is the same, the RPM is the same, the profile of the head, and the length of the tool are all exactly the same between the two models. They look exactly the same in the pictures too, same shape too. The 1/4" drive one is $10 more, though.

Despite them being pretty similar, the reason I'm leaning towards the 1/4" is.. what if you need the thinner wall of a 1/4" socket, or the skinnier width of a 1/4" extension, and you can't afford the extra space the 3/8" to 1/4" adapter takes up? For example, there's times when you need a perfect length, not too short and not too long.

Up to 12mm, I usually use 3/8 to remove and then use 1/4 to put back the fastener. This works very well under hood.

On the other hand, you can find shallow thin 3/8 mm sockets at least from 8mm onward rivaling the similar 1/4 sockets. Anything under that and you are better off with a driver rather than with impact. Very few fasteners are under 8mm need impact to take off or put back.

I would try to guesstimate the depth of an 8mm in both the configuration and if it is significant then go with 1/4. Since you already have 3/8 impact wrench, if I were in your shoe I would get the 1/4 ratchet.

YOU WILL NOT GO WRONG WITH EITHER!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back