BMW LL-04 required, had to add a qt of LL-01

Hello,

This has been nagging me so I created an account to ask the oil pros this question.

I have a 2014 X5 Diesel which requires BMW LL04. I was changing the oil with Moly kit from FCPEURO and chatting with my young son, not really paying attention to what I was doing.

I started adding the oil with the drain plug open. I added a whole qt before I realized it. I put in the drain plug and added the remaining 6 qts.

I went to autozone, bought a qt. of Castrol Euro blend LL-01, and added that to get to the required 7 qt. At the time I wasn't really aware of the difference, but after reading, I realized what I had done. I am now up to date in SAPS, ash, DPF clogging etc etc...

Do I have to drain all of the oil redo or am I good to go until I change again in 5k miles?

Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

You will be fine for 5k. It's only 1 quart out of 7. You have 1 quart of LL01 and 6 qt of LL04. That will not be a problem, especially for a short OCI of 5k

Thank you for the answers and the advice! I feel a lot better now. I won't make that mistake again, I keep telling myself that anyways.
I will get the Pennzoil next time for sure.

Yay, another diesel BMW on the boards!

Don't worry about the snafu, the engine won't even notice it.

+1 on the Pennzoil Platinum Euro L. Great stuff at a great price and easily found locally.

Thanks. Yes we love it, 30mpg and tons of power. I bought it this year. It's a 2014 that just hit 20k miles and I hope it lasts us a long time!

Thanks. Yes we love it, 30mpg and tons of power. I bought it this year. It's a 2014 that just hit 20k miles and I hope it lasts us a long time!
Just make sure you exercise that engine. Also, not sure about N57, but M57 had big issues with thermostat. Thermostat would stay open and since diesels dissipate heat fast, eventually engine would not reach 65c necessary to ignite DPF regeneration. Just occasionally access hidden menu and check how coolant temperature is doing.

Back