BMW B58 Engine Oil Recommendation

Hows the Mobil1 ESP 0w-30 compere to the Mobil1 ESP 5w-30? I was thinking to move to this oil when winter comes
0W30 I think has Noack 9.1%, 5W30 is 7.7%. My choice would 5W30. I stumbled on sale of 0W30, so I went that route.
But now, be careful if no API, bcs. your turbo will die in horrible and long death :)

What are you talking about? Please enlighten us!
Do you actually have a clue why Motul is SM? Do you know why BMW TPT 5W30 is SL?
And, API matters in BMW as much as my opinion when and how Jeff Bezos should launch his next rocket.
I checked Motul's website.

Where is the API SN requirement for a turbocharged engine listed? I've been using Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL in my Tiguan which as far as I can tell does not have any API licenses. Am I damaging the turbocharger?
The "SN" spec is designed to provide additional protection to the turbo bearing. If your engine ahs a turbo I strongly recommend you put "SN" rated oil in the engine.

Ah, we confused turbocharger. I mean if it was SM it would fail. If it was SN it would not. But without API it doesn’t know what to do :).
No, "SN" oill provides additional protection for the turbo bearing. You can run "SM" oil but you aren't getting the best protection for the turbo. I actually ran an "SM" oil on my first trip to Virginia International Raceway near Danville, VA. After I was home I contacted my instructor (and top notch bimmer tech) if I'd damaged the engine by using the "SM" oil. He assured me that I had not, but he strongly recommended that I put only "SN" oil in the engine.
1631892123446.jpg

No, "SN" oill provides additional protection for the turbo bearing. You can run "SM" oil but you aren't getting the best protection for the turbo. I actually ran an "SM" oil on my first trip to Virginia International Raceway near Danville, VA. After I was home I contacted my instructor (and top notch bimmer tech) if I'd damaged the engine by using the "SM" oil. He assured me that I had not, but he strongly recommended that I put only "SN" oil in the engine.
View attachment 71352
So SN is better than manufacturer approvals? Have you lost your mind?

View attachment 71352
Any “bimmer tech” that recommended an API licensed oil vs. one with the proper BMW approval is not worth listening to about anything.

View attachment 71352
1. That guy should not be BMW technician.
2. You really don’t understand why Motul is SM or other XW30 oils (European) are SL, SM and not SN. But you are quick to give an “advice.” API is irrelevant in European engines. Every single European manufacturers approval is more stringent than anything API. API is relevant as much as last year snow. The reason (which was discussed here numerous times and that BMW tech should read it) is that SN oils in XW30 grade have more stringent limits oh phosphorus than SM and SL. Many European oils are packed with additives more so than average ILSAC oil. Some are not (like TPT 0W30 LL01 FE) but some are like Castrol Edge 0W30, Pentosin HP 5W30, BMW TPT 5W30 etc. etc.
However in the end, again, API is IRRELEVANT in European engines.
New API SP has limits on XW40 oils when ut comes to Zinc (800ppm) but do not expect European approved oils to be API SP anytime soon except Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 which jumped on that train even before API SP became a thing.

1. That guy should not be BMW technician.
2. You really don’t understand why Motul is SM or other XW30 oils (European) are SL, SM and not SN. But you are quick to give an “advice.” API is irrelevant in European engines. Every single European manufacturers approval is more stringent than anything API. API is relevant as much as last year snow. The reason (which was discussed here numerous times and that BMW tech should read it) is that SN oils in XW30 grade have more stringent limits oh phosphorus than SM and SL. Many European oils are packed with additives more so than average ILSAC oil. Some are not (like TPT 0W30 LL01 FE) but some are like Castrol Edge 0W30, Pentosin HP 5W30, BMW TPT 5W30 etc. etc.
However in the end, again, API is IRRELEVANT in European engines.
New API SP has limits on XW40 oils when ut comes to Zinc (800ppm) but do not expect European approved oils to be API SP anytime soon except Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 which jumped on that train even before API SP became a thing.
API is not irrelvant for european engines. Do you really believe european engines are that different from some American engines?

API is not irrelvant for european engines. Do you really believe european engines are that different from some American engines?
A. Engines from different manufacturers are different. And yes, BMW engines are different than American engines, for numerous reasons.
B. Again, it is irrelevant! BMW has its own approval process, like other European manufacturers, which is far, far more stringent than anything API. As stated here, there are numerous European oil that don't have API. I use in my Tiguan state of the art oil, that does not have API.

Would Motul 8100 X-CLEAN EFE 5W-30 be a good choice for a 2022 X3 M40i with B58 motor and Gasoline Particulate Filter. the KV100 is 12.1 and the HTHS is 3.5

Would Motul 8100 X-CLEAN EFE 5W-30 be a good choice for a 2022 X3 M40i with B58 motor and Gasoline Particulate Filter. the KV100 is 12.1 and the HTHS is 3.5
Seems like it would be a good option. It has BMW LL-04. You could also find another oil that has BMW LL-01.

Back