BMW B58 Engine Oil Recommendation

Changed the oil over the weekend in my 340i, was easy but not quite as easy as my old MK7 GTI.
Miss having that oil filter front and center, as opposed to rear and right - which requires something like a u-joint to get at it properly.

Went with 0w-20 LM 6600: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/0w-20-top-tec-6600-engine-oil-5-liters-liqui-moly-lm22046

The 5 litre jug was nice for disposing the old oil into, and less of a chore than filling up 7x 1 litre bottles.

Old oil was dealership 0w-20, as it was my last free maintenance; the used oil seemed still in good shape and wasn't overly black/dirty.
Filter was perfectly clean, no lego blocks or sparkly bits.
That said, given corona and WFH - only did about 7000mi this 12mo interval.
Lots of short trips, extreme weather, and the like.

Changed the oil over the weekend in my 340i, was easy but not quite as easy as my old MK7 GTI.
Miss having that oil filter front and center, as opposed to rear and right - which requires something like a u-joint to get at it properly.

Went with 0w-20 LM 6600: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/0w-20-top-tec-6600-engine-oil-5-liters-liqui-moly-lm22046

The 5 litre jug was nice for disposing the old oil into, and less of a chore than filling up 7x 1 litre bottles.

Old oil was dealership 0w-20, as it was my last free maintenance; the used oil seemed still in good shape and wasn't overly black/dirty.
That is not indication of whether oil is in good or bad shape.

Ya that timing chain on the rear of the engine really buggers up access to the oil filter housing. I was surprised that BMW didn't opt to design the block for a spin-on filter with these B-series engines.

I know right. It's no longer one but instead 2-3 smaller gaskets.

Looking at TIS, it involves removing:

DME
Coolant Expansion Tanks
Auxillary Oil Pump
Underbody paneling/support
A million hoses and cables
etc etc

There's 4 gaskets on the oil cooler, and 5 on the oil filter housing itself.

Suffice it to say, hopefully BMW learned their lesson with the leaky N5x series.
Most of the engine is glued together with silicone, so that's something of a relief.

DME
Coolant Expansion Tanks
Auxillary Oil Pump
etc etc

Suffice it to say, hopefully BMW learned their lesson with the leaky N5x series.
Most of the engine is glued together with silicone, so that's something of a relief.
Let’s hope.

What evidence is there (if any) that NA fuels have high (reletive) sulfur?
US gasoline, when compared to European gasoline, had a relatively high sulphur level. Years ago BMW was installing M60 V8 engines that had Nikasil cylinder lining. BMW ended up replacing many of these engines for free because US gasolines with high sulphur were eroding the Nikasil.

US gasoline, when compared to European gasoline, had a relatively high sulphur level. Years ago BMW was installing M60 V8 engines that had Nikasil cylinder lining. BMW ended up replacing many of these engines for free because US gasolines with high sulphur were eroding the Nikasil.
Yeah back then. My old 530i with the M60 engine had it replaced but I actually knew someone who had an M60 that wasn't driven much during that time, and survived to live when the sulfur levels dropped. He drove it up until a couple of years ago when subframe rust finally made it unsafe to drive.

Looks like the Toyota 0w-20 C5 does just fine, even under tuned/catless applications with substandard air filters.

A stock B58 on a diet of highway driving post-Covid world shouldn't have any problems.

Looks like the Toyota 0w-20 C5 does just fine, even under tuned/catless applications with substandard air filters.

A stock B58 on a diet of highway driving post-Covid world shouldn't have any problems.
I don't see anything 'fine' about these. And most are break in samples.

That engine is designed around heavy W30 and lighter 40 grades. But, you could pretty much run anything in it. There is no such thing as overkill.
Take into consideration that when you say "grade" that is KV at 100c. Your BMW in regular driving is running around 109-113c. That means that at regular driving, your oil is bit thinner than you think. That is why HTHS is important and not grade per se. There are different oils, some meeting minimum requirements, some exceeding it. Generally, oils with lower KV100 but really good HTHS are top of the line oils. Motul Gen2, Castrol 0W40, Castrol Edge 0W30, Pennzoil 5W40, etc. are all superb choices. Motul X-Clean+ 5W30 would be prime example of superb oil, as it has KV100 of 11.6 and HTHS of 3.6 and it is LL04. Valvoline European Vehicle is at 13.1 KV100 and HTHS 3.7, which is really good.
Again I would go with approved oils for LL01 and LL04, regardless of weight.
If you decide to track vehicle, than we are getting into different conversation.
Motul X-Clean+ 5W30 has an API rating of SM, not SN which is required for turbocharged engines.

OP: Stick with BMW TPT 0W30. Buy it at FCPEuro for $10 a liter.

DME
Coolant Expansion Tanks
Auxillary Oil Pump
etc etc

Ya, its like a 14 hour job.

Motul X-Clean+ 5W30 has an API rating of SM, not SN which is required for turbocharged engines.

What are you talking about? Please enlighten us!
Do you actually have a clue why Motul is SM? Do you know why BMW TPT 5W30 is SL?
And, API matters in BMW as much as my opinion when and how Jeff Bezos should launch his next rocket.

Where is the API SN requirement for a turbocharged engine listed? I've been using Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL in my Tiguan which as far as I can tell does not have any API licenses. Am I damaging the turbocharger?

Where is the API SN requirement for a turbocharged engine listed? I've been using Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL in my Tiguan which as far as I can tell does not have any API licenses. Am I damaging the turbocharger?
Wait, your turbocharger didn’t die yet? Or at least quit in protest :)
Edit: man I just saw that Mobil1 ESP 0W30 also doesn’t have API. I am done. My wife will kill me when turbocharger fails on Tiguan.

Edit: man I just saw that Mobil1 ESP 0W30 also doesn’t have API. I am done. My wife will kill me when turbocharger fails on Tiguan.
Hows the Mobil1 ESP 0w-30 compere to the Mobil1 ESP 5w-30? I was thinking to move to this oil when winter comes

Yep,Euro approvals are weak, API strong. Get your facts right. /s

Back