BMW B58 Engine Oil Recommendation

I posted this previously (will not mention car, warranty concerns ect). I'm just inquiring an unbiased oil suggestion for a B58 that is tuned (450 hp 550tq). FL climate. Didn't get a clear decision on what oil to run but wanted to give it another go.

Thanks

I posted this previously (will not mention car, warranty concerns ect). I'm just inquiring an unbiased oil suggestion for a B58 that is tuned (450 hp 550tq). FL climate. Didn't get a clear decision on what oil to run but wanted to give it another go.

Thanks
Warranty still valid?
Motul 5W40 X-Cess Gen2.
You could go Motul 5W40 Sport if warranty not a concern.
Mobil1 is also an option, but I am not fan of current M1 full SAPS oils in DI engines.

As mentioned I am tuned so no warranty concerns. Was wondering what would be better than the OEM spec (0w-20 SN C5). And yes, DI is a concern I have if that helps. Wish these were PI.

As mentioned I am tuned so no warranty concerns. Was wondering what would be better than the OEM spec (0w-20 SN C5). And yes, DI is a concern I have if that helps. Wish these were PI.
Some BMW tunes retain warranty (Dinan for example). Your engine is recommended to use LL17FE, LL14FE, LL01FE and LL01.
IMO, LL01 is only one acceptable if wear is concerned, especially tuned engine. Yes, B generation is DI, like all BMW engines since 2010. So, what you want is high HTHS oil. Motul X-Cess Gen2 5W40 has HTHS 3.8. That is ver good for KV100 of 13.5. You could also go Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 that is on sale in Advanced Auto Parts all the time. Reason why I would stick to LL01 is that it has specific test for timing chain wear. Your timing chain is in the back, not front like previous BMW engines, and you really, really don’t want to do TC work on an engine like that.

Thoughts on Motul 8100 X-CESS 5W-30 or Liqui Moly TOP TEC 4200 SAE 5W-30? 40 weight seems a bit overkill since I'm not tracking the car (yet).

Last edited:
Thoughts on Motul 8100 X-CESS 5W-30 or Liqui Moly TOP TEC 4200 SAE 5W-30? 40 weight seems a bit overkill since I'm not tracking the car (yet).
That engine is designed around heavy W30 and lighter 40 grades. But, you could pretty much run anything in it. There is no such thing as overkill.
Take into consideration that when you say "grade" that is KV at 100c. Your BMW in regular driving is running around 109-113c. That means that at regular driving, your oil is bit thinner than you think. That is why HTHS is important and not grade per se. There are different oils, some meeting minimum requirements, some exceeding it. Generally, oils with lower KV100 but really good HTHS are top of the line oils. Motul Gen2, Castrol 0W40, Castrol Edge 0W30, Pennzoil 5W40, etc. are all superb choices. Motul X-Clean+ 5W30 would be prime example of superb oil, as it has KV100 of 11.6 and HTHS of 3.6 and it is LL04. Valvoline European Vehicle is at 13.1 KV100 and HTHS 3.7, which is really good.
Again I would go with approved oils for LL01 and LL04, regardless of weight.
If you decide to track vehicle, than we are getting into different conversation.

No, because oil is generally not marketed that way in retail. However the HT/HS is central to every approval specification. Owner’s manuals and workshop manuals do not define an approval, it’s the other way around.
I think combining the recommended viscosity with the recommended performance spec is the way to go.

Back