BMW B58 Engine Oil Recommendation

Here are a few things they changed in the oil circuit in the TU2 from previous B58's. Looks like the pump was changed.

Oil supply
The oil supply of the electro-hydraulic variable camshaft timing control could be omitted with the use of eVANOS.
In addition, a shutoff valve for the oil supply of the exhaust turbocharger is integrated in the oil circuit and the oil pump is modified.
A new, separate engine oil temperature sensor in the main oil duct allows precise control of the oil pressure necessary for the
particular operating situation.
Until now, a computing model in the DME control unit was used to determine the temperature using the coolant temperature.
All of which is to save energy and ultimately fuel, and to accommodate lower HT/HS oils without causing engine damage or excessive wear. None of this precludes the use of a higher viscosity oil.

In the 2024 X5 owners manual, it only lists 2, LL-22FE++ and LL-12FE and stating not to use the 0W12 in the M60 V8. Nothing about LL-17FE+. However, last year's X5 manual lists LL-17FE+ and the current 2024 X6 and X7 lists LL-17FE+. Strange as they all run the TU2 motor in the 2024 models. It starts out saying to use what the sticker says on the hood (0W12) and that's what the dealer was saying to use for the warranty.

When you look at the BMW-approved oil list that the dealers have on their computers, my motor is a B58N (TU2 with no GPF), it lists LL-01FE and LL-12FE but the note says LL-12FE isn't to be used outside of Europe but it has it listed as OK in the US owners manual. Then the 17FE and 22FE are listed also where the 22FE is shaded blue meaning the preferred oil.
Welcome to BMW world!

Here are a few things they changed in the oil circuit in the TU2 from previous B58's. Looks like the pump was changed.

Oil supply
The oil supply of the electro-hydraulic variable camshaft timing control could be omitted with the use of eVANOS.
In addition, a shutoff valve for the oil supply of the exhaust turbocharger is integrated in the oil circuit and the oil pump is modified.
A new, separate engine oil temperature sensor in the main oil duct allows precise control of the oil pressure necessary for the
particular operating situation.
Until now, a computing model in the DME control unit was used to determine the temperature using the coolant temperature.
Which is irrelevant when it comes to oil choice. The fact that they allow LL01FE says everything. And like any engine, it can run anything you throw in fine.
Thicker oil will result in mpg loss which you might not notice in real world. However, IMO, you will notice bit slower spool with LL01 or LL04.
I would run LL12FE since it is in manual. After that, move to LL04.

Right now I’m about 150 miles into using QuakerState Euro 5w40 LL01 in my B58 Grenadier. Before that I did PP Euro L 5w50 for 1000k miles to help with break-in. Original oil was 0w20 for the first 200 miles. Not saying this is a good or bad thing but

First 200 miles 0w20 - motor seemed to rattle
200 - 1200 miles PP E L 5w30- motor much less rattle
1200 - 1350 (current mileage) QS Euro 5w40 - smooth as butter

I have zero knowledge of how much going from 0w20 to 5w40 will hurt fuel economy. They overfilled me about .8 quarts so I’ll take UOAs as I go at the 5k mark.
B58 is specced for loads of different viscosities

I was planning on using LL04 5w40 for my next interim oil and filter change

B58 is specced for loads of different viscosities

I was planning on using LL04 5w40 for my next interim oil and filter change
Im not here asking questions because i know what im talking about but the QS Euro has been very noticeably better as far as how it runs. When I hit 5k I’ll do a UOA to see where I’m at. I just ordered 3kits from AMSOIL.

Im not here asking questions because i know what im talking about but the QS Euro has been very noticeably better as far as how it runs. When I hit 5k I’ll do a UOA to see where I’m at. I just ordered 3kits from AMSOIL.

I doubt you will notice any difference in fuel economy with 5w40 to be perfectly honest.

This was certainly an eye-opening, interesting read. This particular engine in mild hybrids, such as the the X5 and X7, also calls for LL-22FE++ approved 0W-12 oil.

My coworker's relative runs a KIA/Hyundai repair shop in eastern Europe, which also repairs engines. He said that design of the same engine of the same kia model is slightly different between an European car and the same year and model one exported from USA. Even the engine model designation is the same (for example G4KE). Different is intake manifold, size of piston rings, even pistons. So he has to use different catalog to order parts for cars made for US.
His relative says it is because USA fuel economy requirement (CAFE) much stricter that European or Korean (euro engines design matches korean). I would think BMW does the same

Why cant we assume until proven otherwise that the most auto manufactures have different engine design for US market to satisfy CAFE?

My coworker's relative runs a KIA/Hyundai repair shop in eastern Europe, which also repairs engines. He said that design of the same engine of the same kia model is slightly different between an European car and the same year and model one exported from USA. Even the engine model designation is the same (for example G4KE). Different is intake manifold, size of piston rings, even pistons. So he has to use different catalog to order parts for cars made for US.
His relative says it is because USA fuel economy requirement (CAFE) much stricter that European or Korean (euro engines design matches korean). I would think BMW does the same

Why cant we assume until proven otherwise that the most auto manufactures have different engine design for US market to satisfy CAFE?
Because every automaker is different. Below are the rings/piston for the 2020 B58. One is EU the other US. The P/N's are identical.

Kia is pretty bad at designing engines, so I can see why they would have to do this. Most other automakers don't do that.

Guilty until proven innocent?

Hyundai/KIA is not BMW. BMW has far more tricks in its pocket to meet CAFE, Euro6, and WLTP, using the same engines/components but slightly different software.
VW was doing that 20yrs ago on TSFI engines when it comes to meeting emissions/CAFE requirements between countries.

Hyundai?KIA? Oh well. Rod's would like to have a word.

Because every automaker is different. Below are the rings/piston for the 2020 B58. One is EU the other US. The P/N's are identical.

Was not aware of the B58 identical for all markets, good to know
But to be fully honest about automakers, BMW builds B46 for US to support SULEV and California emissions regulation and rest of the world B48
The engines are mostly identical, but still BMW does have another version for US

In this case running low vis oil in B58 makes very little sense beside CAFE

Last edited:
But to be fully honest about automakers, BMW builds B46 for US to support SULEV and California emissions regulation and rest of the world B48
The engines are mostly identical, but still BMW does have another version for US

5W30 is what the BMW factory puts in the B58 engines destine for markets other than the US.

BMW always had different tweakes to an engine, which doesn’t mean internals are different.
BMW E90 I have was coming with N51 for CARB states and N52 for rest of the US. Everything was identical except N51 had two DISA valves in intake manifold (same as 330 N52) different radiator, software. It made 230hp, same as N52 without that additional stuff (N52 with DISA was making 255hp).
Nothing unusual, but internals are same.

5W30 is what the BMW factory puts in the B58 engines destine for markets other than the US.
It is all about approvals not actual viscosity. I you go German shell and pick BMW 3 G20 M 340i you will see that all the recommended oil is Helix Ultra ECT C5 0W-20 0W20 with approvals BMW Longlife-17 FE+. Shell is an official BMW oil supplier in Europe.

It is all about approvals not actual viscosity. I you go German shell and pick BMW 3 G20 M 340i you will see that all the recommended oil is Helix Ultra ECT C5 0W-20 0W20 with approvals BMW Longlife-17 FE+. Shell is an official BMW oil supplier in Europe.

Actually it is about a minimum HT/HS which the approval specifies.

After digging deeper in this rabbit hole of finding the right oil for my NA spec 2020 BMW M340i, I still don’t know which oil to use. I’ve had oil consumption issues so I switched to Liqui Moly 5w40 molygen. I’m on a very short OCI @ 2500 miles.

I am catless downpipe with a stage 2 tune and run an ethanol blend. I daily my car and I have short trips to work during the week but drive very spirited on weekends. LA climate.

I’ve heard of people recommending LL04 oils. I am LL01 so I’m not sure if I can use that? I want the best oil for my car. I’ve also heard to use Motul Xcess gen 2 5w40. Price is not really a concern and I don’t mind ordering online.

Thanks

After digging deeper in this rabbit hole of finding the right oil for my NA spec 2020 BMW M340i, I still don’t know which oil to use. I’ve had oil consumption issues so I switched to Liqui Moly 5w40 molygen. I’m on a very short OCI @ 2500 miles.

I am catless downpipe with a stage 2 tune and run an ethanol blend. I daily my car and I have short trips to work during the week but drive very spirited on weekends. LA climate.

I’ve heard of people recommending LL04 oils. I am LL01 so I’m not sure if I can use that? I want the best oil for my car. I’ve also heard to use Motul Xcess gen 2 5w40. Price is not really a concern and I don’t mind ordering online.

Thanks

LL04 is essentially a thicker version of the LL17fe 0w20 BMW recommends. LL04 is slightly thicker than the 0w30 LL01FE BMW dealership use.

Since you're tuned running ethanol and are having oil consumption I would go LL04. The LL04 may reduce the rate of IVD from your oil consumption. A UOA would give you an idea of what sort of fuel dilution you're getting with your tune.

Back