BEST oil for 1994 Jeep XJ Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long have you had a death wish for all your ICEs?

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
I use ND30 in the Interest of Science. See what it will do, how it will hold up, what it will do to the engine. Tribology. I guess Ive been a Tribologist since 2001 or so.

Not ALL of my Engines. There would be 5 Jeep 4.0s that have gotten extremely Good care. Maby a bit to much, at times. My 2001 silverStone Metallic 4x4 Cherokees 4.0 had roughly 15 oil changes between 48,??? miles(bought back in 2006 and cant remember exact mileage)and current 65,820 miles. In The Interest of Science. Ever drain out 5 Minute OCI Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10w-30? I have.

In The Interest of Science. Ever drain out 5 Minute OCI Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10w-30? I have.

Nope, I wouldn't have let Mobil 1 anywhere near my Jeep in the first place!
lol.gif

Ever drain out 5 Minute OCI Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10w-30? I have.[/quote]

I am about to drain the maxlife full synthetic 10w-30 I just put in my 97 xj cherokee 4.0 it made my rms leak worse and it's louder than mobil 1. I also change the tanny fluid every oci on my Jeep because it's so easy and a gallon of dex/merc is less than 20 bucks.

Originally Posted By: 1345
Ever drain out 5 Minute OCI Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10w-30? I have.

I am about to drain the maxlife full synthetic 10w-30 I just put in my 97 xj cherokee 4.0 it made my rms leak worse and it's louder than mobil 1. I also change the tanny fluid every oci on my Jeep because it's so easy and a gallon of dex/merc is less than 20 bucks. [/quote]
Tranny fluid every oci really?

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: 1345
Ever drain out 5 Minute OCI Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10w-30? I have.

I am about to drain the maxlife full synthetic 10w-30 I just put in my 97 xj cherokee 4.0 it made my rms leak worse and it's louder than mobil 1. I also change the tanny fluid every oci on my Jeep because it's so easy and a gallon of dex/merc is less than 20 bucks.

Tranny fluid every oci really?[/quote]

Yes the aw4 transmission has a drain plug and it takes that little clunk away when I shift from reverse to drive.

Are you sure about that?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a Higher Level of antiwear and detergent additives.

Well, there was small lumps o' sumthin' in the oil when I drained it. I'd run PYB quite a lot and had never seen it. As far as PCVs being clean? Pfft, I check and clean those at every OCI. They haven't been dirty since I replaced them some 30k miles ago. What do you all think it was? They were small, black, soft lumps. I first thought engine sludge [censored], but never had it before. Only time I've ever seen that.

Originally Posted By: 94JeepCherokee
Another question for you guys before I split... What's with people running half a quart of ATF in an engine in place of motor oil?

What's with it. I couldn't tell ya. Completely absurd practice to be honest.

I havent Tested(BlackStone) the Stuff Myself, but thats what Mobil 1s MSDS/Technical Data says. I guess we have to trust them.

Where does it say that?

Not ALL of my Engines. There would be 5 Jeep 4.0s that have gotten extremely Good care. Maby a bit to much, at times. My 2001 silverStone Metallic 4x4 Cherokees 4.0 had roughly 15 oil changes between 48,??? miles(bought back in 2006 and cant remember exact mileage)and current 65,820 miles. In The Interest of Science. Ever drain out 5 Minute OCI Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10w-30? I have.

And what scientific conclusion was discovered.

Some people think ATF will clean and dissolve sludge. I remember reading it in Jp Magazine years ago. I tried it back then maby once, but I wouldnt recommend doing it. ATf is good for automatic tranns, some manual tranns, some power steering units, and some transfercases(Any stock transfer case in any year XJ will require ATF). Im not going to use it in a engine again. I dont think it hurt anything, but it dosent seem right.

Does ATF have a ton of detergents like the people who like doing that claim? I've also known people to do "diesel washes" for a couple minutes, which might be akin to suicide for an engine.

Originally Posted By: 94JeepCherokee
Does ATF have a ton of detergents like the people who like doing that claim?

No, which is why this old wives tale that WILL NOT DIE is so annoying. Most ATF's have about 10-15% of the detergents that standard PCMO does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back