BEST oil for 1994 Jeep XJ Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe old-fashioned thinking...but I like the idea of using a thicker, higher-additive oil, like QS Defy or M1 HM in the 4.0L engine.

The M1 HM 5W-30 you are using should work great.

Since I already have it, I'll run the M1 5W-30 for this next interval, then run PYB 5W-30 (it gets pretty cold around here). The PYB 10W-30 was hard on it in the winter, I could definitely tell the difference. It gets cold enough here that your headlights pulse in time with the engine at startup.

Can anyone comment on the use of the Lucas StopLeak? Is it better or worse than other stop leaks for the 4.0?

Not asked in the original post: What do you think of the Lucas fuel injector cleaner and upper cylinder lube? The first time I used it, I noticed a 1.5 mpg gain when I was commuting back and forth to school. That 1.5 mpg stuck with me without continual use, so I'm fairly certain that it did help clean the system up a bit. I still run it every once in a while when I fill up, and it's cheap to use.

Originally Posted By: 94JeepCherokee
Since I already have it, I'll run the M1 5W-30 for this next interval, then run PYB 5W-30 (it gets pretty cold around here). The PYB 10W-30 was hard on it in the winter, I could definitely tell the difference. It gets cold enough here that your headlights pulse in time with the engine at startup.

Can anyone comment on the use of the Lucas StopLeak? Is it better or worse than other stop leaks for the 4.0?

Not asked in the original post: What do you think of the Lucas fuel injector cleaner and upper cylinder lube? The first time I used it, I noticed a 1.5 mpg gain when I was commuting back and forth to school. That 1.5 mpg stuck with me without continual use, so I'm fairly certain that it did help clean the system up a bit. I still run it every once in a while when I fill up, and it's cheap to use.

I avoid Lucas products.

If you want a well known quality fuel system cleaner with PEA in it get Techron.

I LOVE these threads about Jeep 4.0s! If youre Bent on using a 0w oil for your 4.0, do it a favor and use Castrol Syntec (Now EDGE) 0w-30 Made in Germany. I bet you wont turn back! AutoZone or online are the most common palces to find it. Depending on the vehicles in your area, the GC(German Castrol, can only be 0w-30) you find, might be 8 or 9 years old. I stop in AutoZones whe Castrol Syntec is on sale when im out of town to see what Vintage they have and buy accordingly. Well, usually buy regardless!

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
I LOVE these threads about Jeep 4.0s! If youre Bent on using a 0w oil for your 4.0, do it a favor and use Castrol Syntec (Now EDGE) 0w-30 Made in Germany. I bet you wont turn back! AutoZone or online are the most common palces to find it. Depending on the vehicles in your area, the GC(German Castrol, can only be 0w-30) you find, might be 8 or 9 years old. I stop in AutoZones whe Castrol Syntec is on sale when im out of town to see what Vintage they have and buy accordingly. Well, usually buy regardless!

I've been thinking about giving GC a try in my Wrangler but isn't it needlessly thick for the 4.0? Since it is a thicker 30 weight? I'm just curious because I'm still deciding on an oil for the Wrangler.

My XJ loves cheap Dino oils. It has been running very well on Delo 15w40. I have 6 5.28 quart jugs of Peak 10w40 that I got for $3/jug. They are all earmarked for the XJ. I had a very good experience on Peak 10w30, so I anticipate a quiet engine and good fuel economy...well as good as any 4.0 will get...17 mpg around town.

Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek
Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite

I've been thinking about giving GC a try in my Wrangler but isn't it needlessly thick for the 4.0? Since it is a thicker 30 weight? I'm just curious because I'm still deciding on an oil for the Wrangler.

The 4.0 likes an oil a bit thicker. GC is ideal as are hdeo oils.

I've spent more hours than I care to admit researching and reading 4.0 UOA's but hey it's fun.

The 4.0 will likely run 100k on used cooking oil without complaint but for "optimum" results the "best looking" UOA's I've seen (somewhat subjective) were turned in by Valvoline (both VWB and Maxlife) Rotella, Defy and PYB. I've seen one on the GC 0w30 Kuato mentioned and it was very good also. For whatever reason (probably the high moly) several Jeepers and I have found PYB seems to run smoother and quieter in the 4.0 than anything else.

Like I mentioned earlier you don't need to go crazy heavy but going too thin is not good. If you want to run 5w30 save it for cold months and don't run it overly long as you want to avoid shearing out of grade (which the 4.0 will consistently do to 5w30's at 3-4k depending on use pattern). The Valvoline 5w30's have shown the best performance in the past.

I agree with the others M1 products have a long history of scary looking UOA's in the 4.0 but if I was going to run one it would be the HM variant you already have, so run it, sleep well at night but I'd suggest you look elsewhere in the future.

If I was going to run a full syn in the 4.0 it would be GC 0w30 (in fact this will be my next fill) Ultra 10w30, or Rotella T6 5w40/Delo 5w40.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I've spent more hours than I care to admit researching and reading 4.0 UOA's but hey it's fun.

The 4.0 will likely run 100k on used cooking oil without complaint but for "optimum" results the "best looking" UOA's I've seen (somewhat subjective) were turned in by Valvoline (both VWB and Maxlife) Rotella, Defy and PYB. I've seen one on the GC 0w30 Kuato mentioned and it was very good also. For whatever reason (probably the high moly) several Jeepers and I have found PYB seems to run smoother and quieter in the 4.0 than anything else.

Like I mentioned earlier you don't need to go crazy heavy but going too thin is not good. If you want to run 5w30 save it for cold months and don't run it overly long as you want to avoid shearing out of grade (which the 4.0 will consistently do to 5w30's at 3-4k depending on use pattern). The Valvoline 5w30's have shown the best performance in the past.

I agree with the others M1 products have a long history of scary looking UOA's in the 4.0 but if I was going to run one it would be the HM variant you already have, so run it, sleep well at night but I'd suggest you look elsewhere in the future.

If I was going to run a full syn in the 4.0 it would be GC 0w30 (in fact this will be my next fill) Ultra 10w30, or Rotella T6 5w40/Delo 5w40.

Good info! Thanks.

I Reserve 5w-30 for use in Jeep 4.0s in temps consistently below 0. Here in Wenatchee, WA that is only for an Odd week or two, usually around early January. Yes, some 4.0s do well with 5w-30(My parents 2001 Cherokees 4.0, ex-Girlfriends 2003 Grand Cherokees 4.0, havent tried yet in my 01 s 4.0), but I prefer to use 10w-30 in my Lightly worn, still GudNTight 4.0s(my 01s 65,481 mile 4.0, my 99s ReBuilt 141,568 mile 4.0, my 96s 250,??? mile 4.0 and my 87s 297,??? mile 4.0). SomeDay though GC will be poured in my 01! Hopefully, any way. Stash is big enough I think. Ya Right...

Why not PU 5W-30?

Does anyone have UOAs showing that 5W-30s do indeed shear significantly more than 10W-30s? If they do, what 5W-30 shows the least prone to shearing?

Will GC be thinner at start-up than most other 30 weight oils? That's the main reason why I want a 5W-30...the thinner start-up viscosity.

Why not PU 5W-30?

The HTHS viscosity is closer to what I prefer for the 4.0 at 3.3. The 5w30 is lower as it should be.

Does anyone have UOAs showing that 5W-30s do indeed shear significantly more than 10W-30s? If they do, what 5W-30 shows the least prone to shearing?

There are quite a few 5w30 Jeep 4.0 UOA's if you dig, two recently though one mine one Jeepman3071's, both sheared notably in only a 3,500 mile run, mine was down well into 20 grade his was a little better but still barely holding 30 grade. You want to avoid that with the 4.0.

The "best" 5w30 to avoid shearing from what I've seen is Valvoline. Otherwise I'd look for a top quality shear resistant synthetic, Ultra would be a possible candidate but hey it's July forget 5w30's altogether.
laugh.gif

Why not PU 5W-30?

The HTHS viscosity is closer to what I prefer for the 4.0 at 3.3. The 5w30 is lower as it should be.

I'm going to pick your brain a little: why 3.3?

And has GC been shown to shear any in the 4.0?

GC is extremely shear resistant, will bb thin when cold and a Thick 30 when hot. Unless your or anyones 4.0 is a Real Leaker, I mean, leaves its mark wherever it stops, I say Castrol Syntec 0w-30 is one of the Best Synthetics for this motor. I have Alot of respect for both. Currently working on 2000 4.0 and when all done and Broke, no WornIn, should defenitely have 6.25 quarts GC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back